Are Daboll and McDermott on the Same Page or at Odds With One Another?

Nextmanup

This was discussed at length this morning on the Howard and Jeremy show.

They think those 2 guys DO NOT GET ALONG and disagree regarding fundamental strategy.

The idea being McDermott is still defensively oriented but Daboll wants to air it out and take chances.

What do people think about them?  Are they on the same page?

Is this a problem?

No one has a comment here?  I guess that's a good thing, as I think it means people don't really see a fundamental disagreement between the two.

I do think their base philosophies differ, however.

I'm curious how much McDermott holds Daboll in check, and if he would be that much more aggressive if he could be.

Personally, I wouldn't care if we parted ways with Daboll in the offseason. I would like to see Dorsey get his shot and Dorsey is already familiar with Josh as well. Daboll's concepts are played out. Defenses know what we are going to do week in and week out. We win when Josh is killing it, but lose when he struggles to find his footing. It can't be all on his shoulders every game, of every week, of every season. The scheme needs adjusting, the OL needs to be fixed, and we need to get a better RB group. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

They think those 2 guys DO NOT GET ALONG and disagree regarding fundamental strategy.

The idea being McDermott is still defensively oriented but Daboll wants to air it out and take chances.

Is this a problem?

I think you are reaching.  You are probably  angry and frustrated and looking at whom to psychologically blame/find a villain.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

To me something seems off with Daboll. Never loved the guy but last year seemed to offer a glimmer of hope. This year he has become predictable and it seems like minimal effort is being put into the gameplan. Is he unhappy in BUF? Is he distracted? Pissed he didn't get a HC gig? Handcuffed? Who knows. I think he is simply not that good and we could do better. 

The one yard dives into the guards ass seem like malicious compliance. Like McD told him to cut out the gimmicks and just stick to fundamentals after the Jax game and now Daboll is just running vanilla dive plays he knows have no chance of working because that's what the boss told him. Could care less what the underlying issue is, offense needs to improve and it's not improving. It's getting worse. Still a lot of season left and record is still ok. Daboll gotta go.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think you are reaching.  You are probably  angry and frustrated and looking at whom to psychologically blame/find a villain.

I'm "reaching."

Could you please state my position here?

I didn't state one! 

LMFAO

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

To me something seems off with Daboll. Never loved the guy but last year seemed to offer a glimmer of hope. This year he has become predictable and it seems like minimal effort is being put into the gameplan. Is he unhappy in BUF? Is he distracted? Pissed he didn't get a HC gig? Handcuffed? Who knows. I think he is simply not that good and we could do better. 

Agree.  Hes done away with everything that was great about his playcalling.   His whole strategy this year is hope Josh wins the game by himself every week.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Agree.  Hes done away with everything that was great about his playcalling.   His whole strategy this year is hope Josh wins the game by himself every week.

Are we should Daboll has done away with everything, or has McD now started to order in his more conservative, old school principles?

Edited by Billsflyer12

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Is this a problem?

I think that McD knows...as a defensive minded coach...that an offense needs to have balance in order to win in the NFL.   A team needs to be able to run as well as pass.  I think Daboll does want to just air it out and neglects the run game.    I think he runs the ball begrudgingly and there is no thought to HOW to run the ball.  It's one play, maybe two over and over.   The defense knows how to stop it because it's the same play over and over.  Look at the variety of runs and blocking schemes a good running team uses.  It's not the same play over and over.

8 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

The one yard dives into the guards ass seem like malicious compliance. Like McD told him to cut out the gimmicks and just stick to fundamentals after the Jax game and now Daboll is just running vanilla dive plays he knows have no chance of working because that's what the boss told him. Could care less what the underlying issue is, offense needs to improve and it's not improving. It's getting worse. Still a lot of season left and record is still ok. Daboll gotta go.

facts.

sometimes i think being a bills fan itself is malicious compliance.

From the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3002629/2021/12/07/a-disconnect-brewing-between-sean-mcdermott-and-brian-daboll-7-observations-from-the-bills-loss-to-the-patriots/

When asked if he felt offensive coordinator Brian Daboll was doing a good enough job, McDermott didn’t give his usual line of “We all need to be better and that starts with me.” Instead, his message was clear and his comments were subtly the biggest indicator to this point of his frustration with the offensive game plan, and by proxy, Daboll.

“Well I didn’t think, honestly, we took advantage of opportunities tonight. I really didn’t. The ball is at the 40-yard line. We’re 1-for-4 in the red zone. We’ve got to figure that part of it out.”

That was the most direct answer about Daboll, but McDermott provided subtle hints before that point. McDermott pushed back when asked if he wondered about his team’s lack of physicality not being a fit for how to win games this time of year.

“That has not been my message from day one, I can promise you that. If you were in the team meetings in training camp, you would know what style of offense I want,” he said. “That identity needs to embody toughness.”

About the red zone woes, McDermott said, “Just no rhythm. No rhythm, really, down there.” And then simplifying it all, with an allusion to the last time there was some frustration with the offensive game plan years ago, the coach said, “You’ve got to score more points. That’s the name of the game. Score more points.”

I posted this in the post game thread:

Interesting analysis from Joe B on The Athletic about what appears to be a disconnect between Daboll and McD

Twelve games into their season, McDermott found himself using a common refrain. Be more physical, win at the line of scrimmage, and yet, the Bills were again left wanting more from their running game. When asked if he felt offensive coordinator Brian Daboll was doing a good enough job, McDermott didn’t give his usual line of “We all need to be better and that starts with me.” Instead, his message was clear and his comments were subtly the biggest indicator to this point of his frustration with the offensive game plan, and by proxy, Daboll.

“Well I didn’t think, honestly, we took advantage of opportunities tonight. I really didn’t. The ball is at the 40-yard line. We’re 1-for-4 in the red zone. We’ve got to figure that part of it out.”

That was the most direct answer about Daboll, but McDermott provided subtle hints before that point. McDermott pushed back when asked if he wondered about his team’s lack of physicality not being a fit for how to win games this time of year.

“That has not been my message from day one, I can promise you that. If you were in the team meetings in training camp, you would know what style of offense I want,” he said. “That identity needs to embody toughness.”

About the red zone woes, McDermott said, “Just no rhythm. No rhythm, really, down there.” And then simplifying it all, with an allusion to the last time there was some frustration with the offensive game plan years ago, the coach said, “You’ve got to score more points. That’s the name of the game. Score more points.”

It all adds up. There is something amiss between McDermott and Daboll — a potentially growing disconnect between how the head coach wants his team’s offense to play and the way the offensive play caller operates on game days. But it’s not just as simple as conforming to what McDermott wants. The Bills are not equipped to be a physical run-oriented team. That much is clear.

Makes you wonder how much of the stupid 2 yd runs up the middle Daboll kept calling were just attempts to placate McD - "Here's a 'physical' run up the middle - this is what you wanted"

Regardless, think everyone agrees there could be more imaginative ways to run the ball.  Also agree with the last statement in the quote above that regardless of how McD wants to play physically offensively - the team just isn't built that way currently

Edited by stevewin

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If they are at odds than McD needs to let Daboll go. Simple as that and I am pretty sure McD knows this. You don’t get to be as successful as McD is by not learning how to manage people and situations.

This team is built as a pass/stop the pass first team.  Do you think this matches McD vision and wants for a team?  He was asked about this yesterday and all he said was the players know in meeting how I want things run.  Ok, so what is McD identity he wants for this team?

1 minute ago, Billsflyer12 said:

This team is built as a pass/stop the pass first team.  Do you think this matches McD vision and wants for a team?  He was asked about this yesterday and all he said was the players know in meeting how I want things run.  Ok, so what is McD identity he wants for this team?

How the heck do I know, I’m not in those meetings. Ha

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.