Clock error cost the Bills 27 seconds at the end of the game

PromoTheRobot

On 12/7/2021 at 10:00 AM, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The whole sequence in the last 2 minutes was bizarre. ESPN had a lengthy commercial break for the 2 minute warning and when we got back to the game a Patriots player was suddenly "hurt". They cut to commercial again and then we had our 4th down play. 

I think OP is complaining about the sequence that I have bolded below:

1st & 10 at NE 19

(1:55 - 4th) One-yard difference on change of possession. R.Stevenson right tackle to NE 21 for 2 yards (H.Phillips).

(0:21 - 4th) Timeout #3 by BUF at 01:50.

2nd & 8 at NE 21

(1:50 - 4th) R.Stevenson up the middle to NE 23 for 2 yards (E.Ankou). BUF-T.Dodson was injured during the play.

(1:18 - 4th) Timeout #4 by BUF at 01:23. Extra timeout granted due to injury inside 2:00.

(0:44 - 4th) Timeout #2 by NE at 00:44.

3rd & 6 at NE 23

(0:43 - 4th) M.Jones kneels to NE 19 for -4 yards.

4th & 10 at NE 19

(0:01 - 4th) (Run formation) PENALTY on NE, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at NE 19 - No Play.

4th & 15 at NE 14

(0:00 - 4th) M.Jones kneels to NE 10 for -4 yards.

The broadcast never showed a Bills player down with an injury after the 2nd down play. They refs let 30 seconds run off the clock before blowing their whistles, at which point there was a lengthy discussion and they said that play was stopped due to a Bills injury and there would be a 4th TO charged to the Bills. The announcers said that Milano was injured (but again, never showed a replay). Boxscore says that Dodson was injured. 

My big question is why did they let 30 seconds run after the 2nd down play before blowing whistles for a (phantom?) injury? 

The refs completely butchered that call. There was no player injured or down. So Vinovich allowed almost 60 seconds to run on that one play. No punt with 22 seconds left. Ballgame. A a minute earlier their defense faked an injury to give the D a blow.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:38 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

If this was Foxboro we'd be howling fix. But the clock continued to run while a Pats player was injured. The refs tried to correct the error but the result was 27 seconds run off. That allowed to eat the clock on the final possession.

I was wondering what was up with that. I thought for sure Buffalo would get the ball back w/ 15 seconds or so and I kept the game on in case of some type of hail Murray miracle situation. Very strange

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2021 at 12:50 PM, LeGOATski said:

I didn't like it, but I don't think that was an error. It was inside 2 minutes and the Bills had no timeouts right?

Also, was Milano even injured? I'm pretty sure he was in on the next play. What even happened?

That was my question, he definitely was in the next play. They never showed him down or being attended to, and there was no explanation, on the broadcast. What actually happened?

On 12/7/2021 at 3:04 PM, FFadpecr said:

What are you talking about?

That last pass was perfect. The defender just made a great play. If the defender stays with Beasley....that's a Gave Davis TD.

OMG! On two different posts, you state that Beasley was not open. Now you state that the pass was perfect. Davis was running a post, which takes his route diagonally through the endzone. When the ball was thrown, he was at the goal line. If it was a perfect pass, the ball would have been about 5 yds deep in the endzone. The ball was tipped well short of the goal line. 

Not only that, if you look at the replay,  Davis had to stop his route because it was thrown well behind him. I think you watch too much Madden, and not enough live football. 

So what, we get a punt and three plays to try to score a td Into that wind?   Blame the refs all you want.   They had chances and did not get it done.  Don’t have a breakdown for a long run, catch the ball.  Don’t jump Offside block better tackle better….those are the things that cost them the game.  

4 hours ago, mattynh said:

So what, we get a punt and three plays to try to score a td Into that wind?   Blame the refs all you want.   They had chances and did not get it done.  Don’t have a breakdown for a long run, catch the ball.  Don’t jump Offside block better tackle better….those are the things that cost them the game.  

Agreed, that didn’t cost us the game, but that doesn’t mean that we don’t have the right to complain about losing another opportunity to win the game. 

the refs are paid a lot of money for their 4 hours of work and need to be held accountable for their mistakes.  BIG money on the line.  I don’t think there’s ever been a profession, EVER, that has had SO LITTLE accountability for the mistakes that they make.  When they make mistakes, people often lose millions of dollars.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.