Clock error cost the Bills 27 seconds at the end of the game

PromoTheRobot

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Biggest issue was our QB didn't throw the ball to the wide open receiver on multiple plays when we needed it most.

Honestly I thought that under the circumstances Allen played a good game overall - but that last pass was just brutal.

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I didn't like it, but I don't think that was an error. It was inside 2 minutes and the Bills had no timeouts right?

Also, was Milano even injured? I'm pretty sure he was in on the next play. What even happened?

I'm not sure but I do wish Milano would of toughed it out and got off the field.  He should know the rule.

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I didn't like it, but I don't think that was an error. It was inside 2 minutes and the Bills had no timeouts right?

Also, was Milano even injured? I'm pretty sure he was in on the next play. What even happened?

The whole sequence in the last 2 minutes was bizarre. ESPN had a lengthy commercial break for the 2 minute warning and when we got back to the game a Patriots player was suddenly "hurt". They cut to commercial again and then we had our 4th down play. 

I think OP is complaining about the sequence that I have bolded below:

1st & 10 at NE 19

(1:55 - 4th) One-yard difference on change of possession. R.Stevenson right tackle to NE 21 for 2 yards (H.Phillips).

(0:21 - 4th) Timeout #3 by BUF at 01:50.

2nd & 8 at NE 21

(1:50 - 4th) R.Stevenson up the middle to NE 23 for 2 yards (E.Ankou). BUF-T.Dodson was injured during the play.

(1:18 - 4th) Timeout #4 by BUF at 01:23. Extra timeout granted due to injury inside 2:00.

(0:44 - 4th) Timeout #2 by NE at 00:44.

3rd & 6 at NE 23

(0:43 - 4th) M.Jones kneels to NE 19 for -4 yards.

4th & 10 at NE 19

(0:01 - 4th) (Run formation) PENALTY on NE, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at NE 19 - No Play.

4th & 15 at NE 14

(0:00 - 4th) M.Jones kneels to NE 10 for -4 yards.

The broadcast never showed a Bills player down with an injury after the 2nd down play. They refs let 30 seconds run off the clock before blowing their whistles, at which point there was a lengthy discussion and they said that play was stopped due to a Bills injury and there would be a 4th TO charged to the Bills. The announcers said that Milano was injured (but again, never showed a replay). Boxscore says that Dodson was injured. 

My big question is why did they let 30 seconds run after the 2nd down play before blowing whistles for a (phantom?) injury? 

11 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Pats had TWO players go “lame” in last two minutes. Phillips and the DE. Bellicheat got an extra minute or so to gather the troops. Typical. 

Like SBXXV recall how many injuries their defense had than back on next play 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The whole sequence in the last 2 minutes was bizarre. ESPN had a lengthy commercial break for the 2 minute warning and when we got back to the game a Patriots player was suddenly "hurt". They cut to commercial again and then we had our 4th down play. 

1st & 10 at NE 19

(1:55 - 4th) One-yard difference on change of possession. R.Stevenson right tackle to NE 21 for 2 yards (H.Phillips).

2nd & 8 at NE 21

(1:50 - 4th) R.Stevenson up the middle to NE 23 for 2 yards (E.Ankou). BUF-T.Dodson was injured during the play.

(1:18 - 4th) Timeout #4 by BUF at 01:23. Extra timeout granted due to injury inside 2:00.

3rd & 6 at NE 23

4th & 10 at NE 19

(0:01 - 4th) (Run formation) PENALTY on NE, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at NE 19 - No Play.

4th & 15 at NE 14

The broadcast never showed a Bills player down with an injury after the 2nd down play. They refs let 30 seconds run off the clock before blowing their whistles, at which point there was a lengthy discussion and they said that play was stopped due to a Bills injury and there would be a 4th TO charged to the Bills. The announcers said that Milano was injured (but again, never showed a replay). Boxscore says that Dodson was injured. 

My big question is why did they let 30 seconds run after the 2nd down play before blowing whistles for a (phantom?) injury? 

Because it ensured that the Bills would not get the ball back at all.  Belicheat got to run 70 seconds off the clock for nothing.  Bills would have gotten the ball back with 20-30 seconds left, but the refs saw to it that we got screwed.

11 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

1st & 10 at NE 19

2nd & 8 at NE 21

3rd & 6 at NE 23

4th & 10 at NE 19

4th & 15 at NE 14

It's not a "phantom" injury if Dodson actually went down. And it depends on when he went down. After he goes down, they have to run down the clock further, according to the rules.

So none of this indicates anything fishy occurred. If it was fishy, then we probably would've seen McDermott yelling at the refs again. Instead, we saw him yelling at his own coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Was that on the Pats final possession you are talking about? if so, it was a Bills player (Milano) that was hurt and the Bills were out of timeouts, so by rule there is a clock run off.

I believe it was a Patriot injury.

54 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Was that on the Pats final possession you are talking about? if so, it was a Bills player (Milano) that was hurt and the Bills were out of timeouts, so by rule there is a clock run off.

it’s a rules error by the refs.  One of many.

37 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

1st & 10 at NE 19

2nd & 8 at NE 21

3rd & 6 at NE 23

4th & 10 at NE 19

4th & 15 at NE 14

tefs sre @#$&ing idiots.  By rule the clock stops Thrn restarts but done from the end of prior play, not resetting a play clock.

44 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Honestly I thought that under the circumstances Allen played a good game overall - but that last pass was just brutal.

It was also a heckuva play by the Pats DB too though. In hindsight, yes Allen should’ve hit Beasley there.

But basically nextmanup suggesting our biggest issue was our quarterback last night is absurd. No it wasn’t our defense not being able to stop their run, our offense not being able to run the ball our receivers dropping two touchdown passes. It was our quarterback. Okey-dokey. Doesn’t Allen know he must make the correct read every single play? What is wrong with him?

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's not a "phantom" injury if Dodson actually went down. And it depends on when he went down. After he goes down, they have to run down the clock further, according to the rules.

So none of this indicates anything fishy occurred. If it was fishy, then we probably would've seen McDermott yelling at the refs again. Instead, we saw him yelling at his own coaches.

That's the whole point though. We don't know when (or even if) Dodson went down. We don't even know if it was Dodson or Milano. 

If Dodson went down with an injury around 1:20 then the refs did everything correctly. 

I find it potentially fishy for these reasons:

1) Refs blew their whistles for an injury 30 seconds after the  play

2) No replay was ever shown

3) Boxscore says the injury was to Dodson. Announcers said it was Milano

As far as McDermott yelling at the refs, I'm not entirely confident he would understand the 4th timeout and time implications in the heat of the moment.

Even if something untoward did happen it's probably a moot point. The Bills would've needed to score a TD in the final ~25 seconds going into the wind 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.