I wouldn't trade Allen for anyone in the league

Success

The only QB I think is really "better" is Rogers, and he's getting old - so I don't make that trade.

Objectively, there isn't another QB in the league I'd rather have.  He can literally do everything at this point - touch passes, bombs, playing in the wind & bad conditions, running, diagnosing defenses & changing plays at the line.  HIs play is guts personified - he is fearless out there.  Outside of Brady, I'd be hard-pressed to think of a QB who is more driven, competitive and obsessed w/ improving.

Compared to Mac Jones?  Please. We'll have the better QB as long as he's in NE, by a mile. Last night showed me that the hype is just that - hype.  I know people will say they didn't have to pass, but they didn't WANT to pass. Jones is a game manager playing under the best coach & in one of the best systems. He'd be average at best anywhere else.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 13
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 9

There are a few QBs that are still ahead of him in the mental part of the game, but his physical attributes are second to none. You gotta hope next year good decision making will be further amplified by a better supporting cast. Next year could’ve been this year though, but Beane didn’t make those moves, he just decided to “run it back” with the same roster that failed in the AFCCG.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree.  He ain't perfect from a mental or execution standpoint (yet), but he's got the biggest toolbox in the entire league.  Last night highlighted the real disparity in talent between Allen and a guy like Mac Jones.  Unfortunately, it also highlighted the disparity in coaching talent between Belichick and McDermott.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

did Josh pass the test last nite as far as playing in a weather game in Buffalo...no picks, no fumbles, playing against  rival- top D, they strayed from the passing game and went back to in the second half and he got us to the red zone 4 times overall, which bring up another-separate topic.

Passing grade for his overall performance -10 points ? - likely hampered by O-line run-pass blocking more than the elements ?  thoughts ?

Did anyone catch BB's extended conversation with Josh after the game?  That was respect.  He went out of his way to find Allen.

Last year before the 2nd game, BB made some comments about JA that were uncharacteristic. He didn't criticize him, but it was clear he thought Allen was overhyped.

I think he's come around on that.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen is a great QB. He was very good yesterday. I think he was also part of the execution problem in RZ last drive (he missed Diggs on 2nd down and Beasley on 4th), but that is fine, nobody is perfect. He is due for 4the quarter comeback and that makes me actually feel good with playoffs getting closer. I think people underestimate how bad we are running this season from variance point of view. We had chances (sometimes multiple) and did not manage to execute 4th Q comebacks in all our losses except Indy, and that will not happen forever. We are not that bad, we are just very unlucky.

I know I am in a minority but I think we can still turn this season around big time and Allen's ability is the biggest reason why. We just need Daboll to get better and all players execute a little better.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Success said:

Compared to Mac Jones?  Please. We'll have the better QB as long as he's in NE, by a mile. Last night showed me that the hype is just that - hype.  I know people will say they didn't have to pass, but they didn't WANT to pass. Jones is a game manager playing under the best coach & in one of the best systems. He'd be average at best anywhere else.

Jones is easily the best rookie QB and will continue to develop and improve under Belichick.  I agree that Allen is better as of today but it might not be the case in two or three years.  Hopefully last season was not Josh's peak career season, never again to be repeated.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, harryS said:

Jones is easily the best rookie QB and will continue to develop and improve under Belichick.  I agree that Allen is better as of today but it might not be the case in two or three years.  Hopefully last season was not Josh's peak career season, never again to be repeated.

Jones is the best rookie like Mayfield was.

He has the best line, coach & system, and is asked to do very little.  Probably any of the rookie QB's except Lance would be the same in NE.  It was obvious to me last night - they don't trust him w/ much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

31 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If Bills could’ve scored a TD on either of those last 2 drives, every story about last nights game would’ve been about Belichik not trusting his QB.  

He still doesn’t, last nights game told me everything about Mac Jones. He’s an average game manager at best. It’s pretty obvious he doesn’t trust Jones

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Allen was not the reason this team lost last night but at one point you have to carry a team and will them to victory and for $250M the results have simply not been there especially in close games like last night where multiple opportunities to win presented themself.

What more do you want him to do? Instead of avoiding 2 guys attempting to sack him on 3-19 on the final drive try it with 3 next game and hope Knox actually tries for the ball? 

26 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

No QB not even Rogers could have thrown the absolute laser he threw in 50 mph winds on the final drive to Diggs along the sidelines…he is the best offensive player in the nfl just a shame he can’t play TE, RB, or G

Diggs brings that it the whole game changes

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He still doesn’t, last nights game told me everything about Mac Jones. He’s an average game manager at best. It’s pretty obvious he doesn’t trust Jones

I've heard so many takes that it said nothing about Jones, because they didn't have to pass. But I agree 100% - it was clear to me what they thought of Jones, and where they think his ceiling might be.  

We'll never fear Mac Jones.  He'll work great in BB's system, but lots of QB's would & could.  We just need to build early leads on that team for different results.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Allen was not the reason this team lost last night but at one point you have to carry a team and will them to victory and for $250M the results have simply not been there especially in close games like last night where multiple opportunities to win presented themself.

He carried the team the entire game. Maybe if we had some semblance of a running game the statement of "one point you have to carry the team" would apply here.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I mean, I'm not even sure how to respond to that one.  Allen couldn't have done more last night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Reader said:

He carried the team the entire game. Maybe if we had some semblance of a running game the statement of "one point you have to carry the team" would apply here.

Again, I'm not blaming Allen. I've been critical of him but he's probably the only reason this team is 7-5 right and why we were still in the game last night.

But at some point you have simply win games and that's what separates true elite franchise QB's from just good ones. Allen is good but not good enough yet anyways.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.