How many challenges has McDermott won?

Gisele

Just now, Gisele said:

And why the hell did we take the ball in the second half instead of the wind in the 4th quarter?  Belichick just laughs at these other coaches decisions.

BB outclasses McD by an order of magnitude.  It's never been more obvious than last night.  The Pats were pretty close to mistake free, and the Bills look (as per usual this year) like the keystone kops.  All that was missing was yakety sax playing on loop all game.  In fact i think i'll do that this week, it will at least provide some entertainment

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott drives me crazy with these challenges. Absolute waste of a challenge and time out, then another time out used only to do absolutely nothing on the next play. Not that we would have won anyways but would have been nice to have the ball back at the end of the game. 

2 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

It really isn’t that hard to win a challenge.  If you don’t see it you don’t challenge.  You can’t throw away time outs.

meh, McD is so bad at clock management i'm not sure it makes a difference

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, goldenboy81 said:

He sure doesn't have a knack for challenges

My complaint with his many of his challenges over the years (including last night) is that he makes strategic errors in terms of when to challenge and when not to.

For example, he loves to challenge where the ball is placed on a tackle where it's impossible to say where the ball should go and the refs have already decided on where to put it....and then McD will challenge.

Calls of that nature are simply NOT GOING TO BE OVERTURNED, yet no one on McD's staff seems to understand that and they end up pissing away a TO.

They need to get SMARTER with it.

I also feel McDermott is making some of these calls himself on the spur of the moment, which is definitely NOT HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE.

They should have a rigorously established procedure involving people not named McDermott and it should move like clockwork in a short amount of time to make decisions, possibly consulting tables or a computer simulator as well.

I don't think these guys are anywhere near that level of sophistication.

🤭

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's 0 for 2 this year

2 for 3 in 2019

2 for 3 in 2018

0 for 6 in 2017, so he obviously did something to improve

Anyone got data for other current head coaches or for the current NFL data on this?

pro football reference, search coaches name and it will show challenges 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/McDeSe0.htm

Edited by Jeffbigalls

I remember it came up in the Titans game because McD's challenge record is pretty terrible, while Vrabel's is pretty good.

Although I hated the challenge at the time, hearing McD explain why he was comfortable rolling the dice there made sense to me.

In the moment I certainly thought Jones was short when they blew the whistle. If it was overturned, it would've been valuable for the Bills to have an extra drive going with the wind.

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

BB outclasses McD by an order of magnitude.  It's never been more obvious than last night.  The Pats were pretty close to mistake free, and the Bills look (as per usual this year) like the keystone kops.  All that was missing was yakety sax playing on loop all game.  In fact i think i'll do that this week, it will at least provide some entertainment

I understand that's how you feel.

But in fact, the Patriots made a HUGE error receiving a punt, that resulted in a turnover and a Buffalo TD

They had another fumble, but managed to recover (vs 1 fumble that led to a NE TD for Buffalo)

They were also penalized more - 6 penalties for 47 yds vs 3 penalties for 20 yds

They objectively made more mistakes than B'lo did by several metrics

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.