What happened on 4th down?

Ramza86

31 minutes ago, LDD said:

This is exactly what happened.  If you look at the replay from the pocket, which they showed last night, Allen throws the ball before the breaks expecting the safety to follow Beeze.  He didn't and your point about the wind is also correct.  Lots of failures last night.  Josh Allen wasn't one of them. 

Bingo.  It was 4th down and Allen was almost immediately under heavy pressure.  The DB made a smart play there.  The throw folks wanted Allen to make to Beasley was low percentage because of the wind.  The wind would have made it a much more difficult throw to accurately complete. If the DB doesn't fall off Beasley it's a TD to Davis.

44 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It would have been a TD to Davis...dude just made a good play coming off Beasley to make the play. Sometimes it happens. Should never have come down to that.

It would have fallen short. If you watch the replay from behind the LOS, that ball is set to die at around just past the goal line. And it was behind Davis too. 

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Bingo.  It was 4th down and Allen was almost immediately under heavy pressure.  The DB made a smart play there.  The throw folks wanted Allen to make to Beasley was low percentage because of the wind.  The wind would have made it a much more difficult throw to accurately complete. If the DB doesn't fall off Beasley it's a TD to Davis.

Watch it again from the angle behind the LOS. That ball ain't getting to Davis given his depth in the end zone. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

As I saw it live...why didnt Allen just throw it to Bease? He got the separation and it would have been a 1st if not a walk in TD.

I was so pissed.

So Allen knew it was a blitz and it was man coverage...so he assumed that 41 would be locked up against Bease....of course 41 barely covers him and watches Allen and plays the ball thrown elsewhere. 

Allen didn't see some open receivers, probably because he was running for his life.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, LDD said:

This is exactly what happened.  If you look at the replay from the pocket, which they showed last night, Allen throws the ball before the breaks expecting the safety to follow Beeze.  He didn't and your point about the wind is also correct.  Lots of failures last night.  Josh Allen wasn't one of them. 

I'm legitimately baffled at how people don't understand this.  The announcers went on and on about how the safety came off Beasley to come back into the passing lane for Davis.  It's not like anybody had to carefully break down the all-22 to see this -- it was obvious in real time and called out by the broadcasters.

47 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It would have fallen short. If you watch the replay from behind the LOS, that ball is set to die at around just past the goal line. And it was behind Davis too. 

Watch it again from the angle behind the LOS. That ball ain't getting to Davis given his depth in the end zone. 

I agree.  The throw was to Davis, but was rushed because Allen had a guy in his face.  The ball would have been behind Davis, even if the DB didn't get a hand on it.  If Allen had time, the throw would have had a chance.  That said, it was 4th and 14, so the defense knew we were throwing the ball and brought pressure.  And why was it 4th and 14?  A wasted run into the line on 1st down that hadn't worked all game (and never works) and a stupid penalty.

Edited by msw2112

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

What happened is that the players around Allen repeatedly failed to the point that he was asked to convert a 4th and 14 against the best defense in the league with a free rusher coming at him in heavy winds. And some fans actually want to try and analyze that play as if it means anything.

MVP’s pull rabbits out of hats. We lose these types of games all year.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I agree.  The throw was to Davis, but was rushed because Allen had a guy in his face.  The ball would have been behind Davis, even if the DB didn't get a hand on it.  If Allen had time, the throw would have had a chance.  That said, it was 4th and 14, so the defense knew we were throwing the ball and brought pressure.  And why was it 4th and 14?  A wasted run into the line on 1st down that hadn't worked all game (and never works) and a stupid penalty.

Those two sentences perfectly summarize the Bills' 2021 season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He pulled one out of his hat on the previous play and Knox didn't come down with it. I don't really care if he actually wins MVP or not. With an average replacement we would have no offense.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Simple answer: Josh panicked 

Yup.  For a couple years he was a great pressure QB.  I don't know what happened, but he simply isn't a good pressure QB any more. Did they coach it out of him?  He holds onto the ball way too long and takes at least 2-3 incredible stupid sacks each game.  Add to that the increasingly errant downfield throws and I think I'd probably find a new QB coach and spend the whole offseason getting Josh back to being Josh.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He pulled one out of his hat on the previous play and Knox didn't come down with it. I don't really care if he actually wins MVP or not. With an average replacement we would have no offense.

Good news for you.  He's not going to be MVP.   I'm not sure why anyone who has watched him over hte last 2 months would even think that outside of the hype machine telling us how good he is.  He's regressed something awful this year.  I don't think it's all or even mostly on him. The roster is dreadful outside of a few players, coaching sucks, and the bounces just arent going our way.  Like i said after the Colts game, oh well, there's always last year!

35 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That’s the real point here..

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

As opposed to the scoring juggernaut we’ve got now. That lone 14 yard TD drive was masterful. 

1 hour ago, Pags24 said:

All out blitz, pressure on Josh...it was a tough throw but if he actually makes a great throw to Davis he could've lofted it over the undercutting DB.  Josh under-threw and shorted it, had no chance. 

Putting any air under passes thrown in that direction was a pretty tall order. 

Allen said in his presser that the ball just died on him in the wind.  And you can see it happen when you go back and watch it.  The ball just didn't get there and it allowed the safety to make a play.  That said, on a normal day, that play is there and has a chance for sure.  Davis had leverage and it the ball has more juice on it, there's definitely a chance.  That said, I wanted him to go to Bease there.  We didn't need the TD, but if he goes there, he may have had it.  Worst case I think he gets the first down.  But whatever.  It happens.  There are so many other things that led to this loss.  This was way down the list.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.