That was not a Football Game Last Night - Weather ruined it

Billsfan1972

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Funny story about that game.  Bought tickets from scalper, get in the stadium and go and sit in seats.  Someone else shows up in the same seats and we start an argument, then look at our tickets & they were for the AFC Semi-Final the week before😄.  

We got them cheap figuring people would watch at home and ended up just wandering around for 4 seats and having a great time.

we bills fans  are unstoppable unflappable and love to schmooze I understand this perfectly LOL

^5

m

Worst game watching experience I have ever had. (and I was on my couch)

That wasn't football and I am disgusted that we will be building a new stadium without a roof.  

11 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

The elements have always been part of the game. No, it's not fun to watch a host of games like that, but those games are few and far between. If you had a problem with how the weather affected the game, i get it but you must be a causal. Because if you are a Patriot or Bills fan how were you bored? It had drama from beginning to end 

Look at our home games this year.  Almost every game has had discussion leading up of weather/wind and how that helps the opposing team.  Specifically the wind... no other team deals with this nonsense as often as we have lately.  

Sure, that game last night was fun from a novelty aspect for the casual, but not for fans who actually care about winning the game.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Worst game watching experience I have ever had.

That wasn't football and I am disgusted that we will be building a new stadium without a roof.  

football has been played in the mud, rain, heavy snow...everything expect a thunderstorm. How was that not football?

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Look at our home games this year.  Almost every game has had discussion leading up of weather/wind and how that helps the opposing team.  Specifically the wind... no other team deals with this nonsense as often as we have lately.  

It's northeast weather though. Bills been existed for 50 years or so.....so this kind of stuff happens. (not all the time though) 

Edited by Ghost_002!

29 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Just for fun: there is a interesting conspiracy that people/government etc can control weather

Every bills home game has been very poor weather, the bills are looking at building a new stadium without a roof, nfl owners are the top 1% and would theoretically have the ability to these weather machines. Could a NFL owner or 2 be really pushing for a roofed stadium? 

Are these things connected?????

Sorry I'm bored and sick of all the depressing posts 

I'm pretty sure that somewhere inside the dome of an inactive volcano deep in the Andes Ernst Stavro Blofeld is petting his kitten while his minions operate the diabolical BBWCM* every Sunday afternoon (and sometimes on Thursday, Sunday, or Monday nights).

*Buffalo Bills Weather Changing Machine

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, I am the egg man said:

Patriots made it clear they were going to run.

The Bills knew that, still couldn’t stop them.

The weather wasn’t the problem for that.

True. My thought experiment: how would the Pats offense have been any different if they'd just played 10 men and direct-snapped (wildcat style) to one of the RBs every play? Is there any reason to think they still wouldn't have run for 220 yards?

27 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

football has been played in the mud, rain, heavy snow...everything expect a thunderstorm. How was that not football?

It's northeast weather though. Bills been existed for 50 years or so.....so this kind of stuff happens. (not all the time though) 

Happens in Buffalo more so than anywhere else.  No maybe not the worst conditions ever, but bad enough that it does affect the game (and yep my enjoyment when going to OP to watch the game).

When will weather not be a part of every narrative associated with a Buffalo Bills football game or importance in OP.  At best "Mild conditions at kickoff and weather should not be a factor"😜

Edited by Billsfan1972

16 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm pretty sure that somewhere inside the dome of an inactive volcano deep in the Andes Ernst Stavro Blofeld is petting his kitten while his minions operate the diabolical BBWCM* every Sunday afternoon (and sometimes on Thursday, Sunday, or Monday nights).

*Buffalo Bills Weather Changing Machine

you're scaring me

lol j/k

m

silly!

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Happens in Buffalo more so than anywhere else.  No maybe not the worst conditions ever, but bad enough that it does effect the game (and yep my enjoyment when going to OP to watch the game).

When will weather not be a part of every narrative associated with a Buffalo Bills football game or importance in OP.  At best "Mild conditions at kickoff and weather should not be a factor"😜

I need to chime in here from native WNYer who knows alll about the weather in NYS.  the weather is a story due to the fact it is usually THE story going into a bills home  game from a national interest perspective,  That and niagara falls, maybe the random Shea movie palace reference, Chicken wings U Know are referenced as the Buffalo narrative. 

Until #17 came on the scene National media was all about weather and afc-e matchups etc .....but Now with alll the hype and PUB for the Bills GOING UNTO THIS SEASON and THEN Bills Mafia/Bills Mafia Babes efforts at fundraising snce Andy Dalton y'all remember that

Anyway Im glad the narrative focus will be away from weather,,but actually, WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES in the future....

I dont care about the weather unless it could be like life threatening like last night...pregame conditions especiallly were brutal ....But in the end we just deal with it U know......

GO BILLS VIVA LOS BILLS

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL

What about the Cowboys and 49ers who have 10 Super Bowls between them?

Pats won Super Bowls with Tom Brady.  Who went to a warm weather team and won a Super Bowl in his first year with them lol.

I wonder why the Super Bowl is played in ideal conditions?  Hmmmm....

Green Bay doesn't have the wind, this has been explained to you but I guess you don't know what wind does.

If you really want to know about Arena Football, since I've know a few people who played there and the game is tougher because the field is smaller and condensed and much more pinballed.  

These guys played high level college ball and all told me Arena is rougher on the body...so quit with this internet tough guy crap.

Were just going to agree on this. That's fine. My biggest concern is that for the Bills to remain in Buffalo, an outdoor stadium is the only way the team stays. The most unique thing about the Bills isn't the weather. It's the size of the city region they play in. Buffalo would never get a franchise awarded today. Green Bay is a unique historical franchise, and most fans come up from Milwaukee anyway which has MLB and NBA already. And the team is owned by the City. The commoner has stated numerous times that "Buffalo needs a Buffalo type of stadium". which means a new but not extravagant stadium. Something just above $1B. Buffalo simply can't afford a Dome stadium and be a viable franchise. The Bills CAN'T sell a significant amount of Corporate luxury seats which is the lifeblood of the cost for an expensive stadium. That market just does not exist in this market. The math doesn't work in Buffalo. Therefore a much more expensive Dome stadium simply would not allow the Pegula's to leverage the extra costs by standard seating alone.  they would be in a distinct disadvantage Vs. EVERY other owner. Even Jerry Jones has stated - "He'd like to see the Bills stay, but they need a cost effective stadium". A Dome just won't work. If the Pegula's believe that the team needs a Dome, trust me, he would pack up and go to ANY number of city's that would build a stadium, that will easily sell and likely guarantee all of their corporate luxury seats would be sold. Pushing for a Dome stadium, in the Buffalo market will NEVER make economic sense. And if that is the decision, the team WILL move. I'd rather buy a coat, and continue to watch my beloved Bills outside. It's the ONLY viable answer. This is a FACT!               

43 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Worst game watching experience I have ever had. (and I was on my couch)

Sure, that game last night was fun from a novelty aspect for the casual, but not for fans who actually care about winning the game.  

Couldn't agree more. It's windy every day in Buffalo.  But God forbid you take away that outdoor experience from the diehards. They would rather make snow angels than win a SB.  

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Dislike 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32809233/new-england-patriots-throw-just-three-passes-dominate-ground-win-buffalo-bills

The three passing attempts are the fewest in Patriots history, while the two completions match their fewest, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. The three pass attempts were the fewest by any team since the Bills attempted just two in Week 3 of the 1974 season (vs. the New York Jets).

"We played kind of the way we felt like we needed to play to win. In the end, we scored enough points," New England coach Bill Belichick said.

That made me wonder. What was going on in Week 3 in Buffalo in 1974?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197409290buf.htm

The box score says winds were 19 mph, but that obviously downplays it. It was apparently raining with wind gusts in the 30-40 mph range. Here's how the NYT put it:

ORCHARD PARK, MY., Sept. 29—The Jets and the Buffalo Bills played some strange kind of a game today. Because of the elements, it was not football. The Bills won, 16‐12, in wind and rain. The wind was the worst, 20 miles an hour down one end of Rich Stadium with gusts up to 40 miles.

Lou Saban WAS Bill Belichick in that game. Joe Ferguson threw 2 passes. OJ ran it 30 times, Braxton 17. We gained 220 yards on the ground (now where else have I seen that number?). The Jets tried to play a more normal game, so Joe Namath threw 18 times. He completed 2 to his own receivers, and 3 to Bills interceptors.

We won 16-12.

Someone Bills intern should have pulled out the old tape of that game before last night's debacle. I suspect some Pats intern did.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

18 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Couldn't agree more. It's windy every day in Buffalo.  But God forbid you take away that outdoor experience from the diehards. They would rather make snow angels than win a SB.  

LOL - Wide right comes to mind! See comments above. Either the Bills stay with a cost effective outdoor stadium, or the team is gone. Buffalo will not economically support a much more expensive Dome stadium, the state won't pay for it, and the Pegula's and the commoner understands that a city and region that simply cannot fill enough corporate luxury suits to make a $1.8B+ stadium viable, won't work. Luxury suites are now the lifeblood of building an expensive stadium (See SoFi). The Bills barely got by with the Ralph. It's easy to understand economics. Just selling season tickets won't cut it anymore. Buffalo is extremely lucky they still have a team. The commoner has stated numerous times that - "Buffalo needs a Buffalo type stadium to stay". Which is a new but low cost stadium. If the Pegula's believe they need a dome to survive in Buffalo, they are gone Period. Not sure why no one gets the economic unviability of a dame stadium in Buffalo.      

5 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

LOL - Wide right comes to mind! See comments above. Either the Bills stay with a cost effective outdoor stadium, or the team is gone. Buffalo will not economically support a much more expensive Dome stadium, the state won't pay for it, and the Pegula's and the commoner understands that a city and region that simply cannot fill enough corporate luxury suits to make a $1.8B+ stadium viable, won't work. Luxury suites are now the lifeblood of building an expensive stadium (See SoFi). The Bills barely got by with the Ralph. It's easy to understand economics. Just selling season tickets won't cut it anymore. Buffalo is extremely lucky they still have a team. The commoner has stated numerous times that - "Buffalo needs a Buffalo type stadium to stay". Which is a new but low cost stadium. If the Pegula's believe they need a dome to survive in Buffalo, they are gone Period. Not sure why no one gets the economic unviability of a dame stadium in Buffalo.      

NFL makes so much money that i'm not inclined to believe this, but if that's the case - so be it.  At the very least, bring in engineers to design a stadium that cuts down on wind... that can be done.  

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Give me 50 more years like that, woo-hoo!

Pretty sure they are not going to build a dome, for various political and economic reasons.

Has nothing to do with "bad football on Monday night" though.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Pretty sure they are not going to build a dome, for various political and economic reasons.

Has nothing to do with "bad football on Monday night" though.

That's why we can't stop hitting ourselves in the head with a hammer. "We can't stop now. It's how we've always done it."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_002! said:

I wonder how much "heavy snow" Josh Allen played in before he became a Bill? I wonder how many Buffalo Bills players or coaches, for that matter come from warm weather states?  It is total BS to think that a kid from Firebaugh, California has some sort of magical advantage playing " in the mud, rain, heavy snow...everything expect(?) a thunderstorm".  You forgot to mention the WIND; the very element we could not overcome last night.

Another thing, teams that come to play in the wacky western NY weather have ONE game possibly effected by the elements. The Buffalo Bills have HALF of their entire season possibly influenced by the elements. It makes it much more difficult to remain competitive.

IMHO...

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.