That was not a Football Game Last Night - Weather ruined it

Billsfan1972

Just now, Ross Murdock said:

Bunch of pansy's who have probably NEVER attended a Bills game here now calling for a Dome because the team is soft. Cold weather cities with much more wealth, larger corporations for luxury boxes, and much larger average salaries had chances and the monies to build a dome in the last 15 years, but because they know the NFL's legacy and history is tied to playing in the elements. I didn't hear Browns fans - Packer fans - Bronco fans - Bears fans - Patriot fans - Steelers fans - Bengal fans - Eagles fans - Jets/Giants fans - Seahawk fans - Ravens fans - clamoring for a nice comfy dome for Chardonnay sippers. I now live in Philly and the owner said he would rather sell the team than play indoors, and wouldn't pay the extra. Buffalo should be the LAST place for an expensive dome. One of the only  reason fans from around the country and indeed world cheer for the Bills is because of the weather we are known for, and being an underdog hard scrabble town. And to state the city of Buffalo would get year round use is a pathetic joke. For what? When the Trans Siberian Orchestra comes to town? Buffalo has less hotels than Toledo. If New York/New Jersey stayed outdoors, why should the state pay an extra $400M for a Dome for Buffalo? Were lucky their paying anything at all. Plus indoor football sucks. It's arena football. Only one DOME team has EVER won a Super Bowl! Vikings went to 5 SB's outdoors, none since. Give it up. If Buffalo goes indoors, they might as well move to Toronto. You people sound silly. Man up, put on a coat, go to a game. Or stay home in your comfy beds. Lastly last night was a total anomaly. The team has never played in weather like last night in it's 60 year history. So lets build a dome for a once in a century occurrence.                  

you’re such a manly man!!  

None of the other stadiums AVERAGE 16MPH hour winds.  The 3rd worst windy stadium averages 10mph.  Other teams don’t complain because they don’t have NEARLY as much wind as we do.  The problem is much worse in Buffalo than the other stadiums.  That isn’t a myth.  That is a fact.  Wake up

1 minute ago, Ross Murdock said:

Bunch of pansy's who have probably NEVER attended a Bills game here now calling for a Dome because the team is soft. Cold weather cities with much more wealth, larger corporations for luxury boxes, and much larger average salaries had chances and the monies to build a dome in the last 15 years, but because they know the NFL's legacy and history is tied to playing in the elements. I didn't hear Browns fans - Packer fans - Bronco fans - Bears fans - Patriot fans - Steelers fans - Bengal fans - Eagles fans - Jets/Giants fans - Seahawk fans - Ravens fans - clamoring for a nice comfy dome for Chardonnay sippers. I now live in Philly and the owner said he would rather sell the team than play indoors, and wouldn't pay the extra. Buffalo should be the LAST place for an expensive dome. One of the only  reason fans from around the country and indeed world cheer for the Bills is because of the weather we are known for, and being an underdog hard scrabble town. And to state the city of Buffalo would get year round use is a pathetic joke. For what? When the Trans Siberian Orchestra comes to town? Buffalo has less hotels than Toledo. If New York/New Jersey stayed outdoors, why should the state pay an extra $400M for a Dome for Buffalo? Were lucky their paying anything at all. Plus indoor football sucks. It's arena football. Only one DOME team has EVER won a Super Bowl! Vikings went to 5 SB's outdoors, none since. Give it up. If Buffalo goes indoors, they might as well move to Toronto. You people sound silly. Man up, put on a coat, go to a game. Or stay home in your comfy beds. Lastly last night was a total anomaly. The team has never played in weather like last night in it's 60 year history. So lets build a dome for a once in a century occurrence.                  

They don't have our winds on a consistent basis.  It doesn't matter if it's 75 degrees outside if you have those winds.  We've had more than a few games completely ruined by the weather.  This isn't baseball, each game in the NFL counts.

The stat of only one dome team is completely misleading because there are many teams that never play in terrible conditions and a dome isn't needed.

Plus the Rams, Saints, Colts and Seahawks have won Super Bowls....all play in domes or retractable roofs.  

How many warm weather teams have won Super Bowls?  Dolphins, Raiders, Cowboys, 49ers, Tampa etc....

Your stat is wrong.  Vikings also didn't go to 5 Super Bowls.  And they had one of the greatest offenses of all time in a dome and didn't go to a Super Bowl because of a missed chip shot FG...come on.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BTB said:

Have no fear…Pegula is on the phone this morning with the architect.  They are dusting off the plans for a fixed roof stadium. 

hubby last night said "well if the cost is prohibitive for a dome, maybe build a stadium that could be converted later? **shrugs** I mean Yes, last night was a bit of a unicorn weatherwise but dayum.................Im Not making excuses for the Bills D more so on offense just sayin'...no wind cancellation/reschedule protocol in the NFL handbook eh?

m

6 minutes ago, Muppy said:

hubby last night said "well if the cost is prohibitive for a dome, maybe build a stadium that could be converted later? **shrugs** I mean Yes, last night was a bit of a unicorn weatherwise but dayum.................Im Not making excuses for the Bills D more so on offense just sayin'...no wind cancellation/reschedule protocol in the NFL handbook eh?

m

No it's a Buffalo thing....  Every year that's the worry come November, weather....  

Of course the last home playoff game was 1996, so people forget. 

Every year I'd wager there are at least 3 games with inclement or bad weather in Buffalo.  

It's a running joke and that is why National TV always makes it a point to talk about it.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

you’re such a manly man!!  

None of the other stadiums AVERAGE 16MPH hour winds.  The 3rd worst windy stadium averages 10mph.  Other teams don’t complain because they don’t have NEARLY as much wind as we do.  The problem is much worse in Buffalo than the other stadiums.  That isn’t a myth.  That is a fact.  Wake up

I am manly, thanks for the complement. You? Not likely. NFL films has a series you can watch on Youtube. They list the top 20 games played in inclement weather. It's one of their most watched series. They didn't show one Bills game. You state no "Facts" whatsoever. Last nights game was a total one-off. Bills had never played in a game like that. And to state that other teams on great lakes like Cleveland, Chicago, Green Bay, don't play in similar weather is absurd. Soldier Field is basically built ON the lake. NFL teams in the northeast play in Noreasters. Frequently.  Watched Good Morning Football today. ALL The hosts were trolling Bills fans like YOU for now calling for a Dome because they built the wrong team for Buffalo. I hate the the Patriots but they the were TOUGHER than the Bills last night, by a lot! That's our problem. Your silly answer is to build a dome stadium the Bills and the State of New York can't and won't pay for.. It ain't going to happen. And it shouldn't. Once again. Man up!            

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No it's a Buffalo thing....  Every year that's the worry come November, weather....  

Of course the last home playoff game was 1996, so people forget. 

Every year I'd wager there are at least 3 games with inclement or bad weather in Buffalo.  

It's a running joke and that is why National TV always makes it a point to talk about it.

Ive been a bills fan since 1973, I remember the Ice Bowl AFC championship against the raidahs so I get that orchard park has inclement weather but That strong a wind I dont personally recall but of course I could be wrong

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I had a thread locked saying how depressed the weather forecast had me when I saw it last week and lo & behold it ruined the game yesterday.

It was not fun to watch (win or lose) and please no platitudes to BB, it was a lousy game.  

Cold weather, while unpleasant can still be handled.  Some rain too you can work around.  A snow game when your team is playing for little can be fun to watch.

But a crucial Monday night game where the wind is howling just sucked the life out of last night.

Oh and Daboll's play calling and red zone offense has been terrible all year.  How about one play that you've been working on all year when you need it?  

I agree, boring as hell game to watch.  It's going to happen in the northeast so long as they play outdoors.  Some enjoy that and think it's a good thing.  I just find it boring to watch and almost turned it off a few times last night.

Just for fun: there is a interesting conspiracy that people/government etc can control weather

Every bills home game has been very poor weather, the bills are looking at building a new stadium without a roof, nfl owners are the top 1% and would theoretically have the ability to these weather machines. Could a NFL owner or 2 be really pushing for a roofed stadium? 

Are these things connected?????

Sorry I'm bored and sick of all the depressing posts 

4 minutes ago, Muppy said:

Ive been a bills fan since 1973, I remember the Ice Bowl AFC championship against the raidahs so I get that orchard park has inclement weather but That strong a wind I dont personally recall but of course I could be wrong

I was there for that game & actually wasn't too bad.  But every year, every time I make the drive to Orchard Park I have to check the forecast and usually how many layers to wear.  I'm too old for this.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They don't have our winds on a consistent basis.  It doesn't matter if it's 75 degrees outside if you have those winds.  We've had more than a few games completely ruined by the weather.  This isn't baseball, each game in the NFL counts.

The stat of only one dome team is completely misleading because there are many teams that never play in terrible conditions and a dome isn't needed.

Plus the Rams, Saints, Colts and Seahawks have won Super Bowls....all play in domes or retractable roofs.  

How many warm weather teams have won Super Bowls?  Dolphins, Raiders, Cowboys, 49ers, Tampa etc....

Your stat is wrong.  Vikings also didn't go to 5 Super Bowls.  And they had one of the greatest offenses of all time in a dome and didn't go to a Super Bowl because of a missed chip shot FG...come on.

Vikings went to 4 SB's. I stand corrected. And haven't gone to one since. Patriots have won more SB's than anyone, The Steelers are a close second, The Packers the same. All play in weather at least as bad as Buffalo, and in Green Bay the weather is certifiably worse. You have no argument. Your not getting your soft comfy dome. The NFL's  true lasting legacy is playing in ALL conditions. I suggest you petition for the Arena Football League to come back. Sounds like that's your kinda game.... Beane built the wrong team. Blame him.         

8 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I agree, boring as hell game to watch.

Not boring for me because I'm a Bills fan. And probably not boring for Pats fans. 

But talking to some people this morning who are neither of the above but are merely NFL fans - the consensus is that it was a snooze fest. I don't think many stuck around till the end. It wasn't even goofy fun like the snow game a few years ago. It was just stupid watching standard and exciting parts of the game completely eliminated by weather conditions.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

I am manly, thanks for the complement. You? Not likely. NFL films has a series you can watch on Youtube. They list the top 20 games played in inclement weather. It's one of their most watched series. They didn't show one Bills game. You state no "Facts" whatsoever. Last nights game was a total one-off. Bills had never played in a game like that. And to state that other teams on great lakes like Cleveland, Chicago, Green Bay, don't play in similar weather is absurd. Soldier Field is basically built ON the lake. NFL teams in the northeast play in Noreasters. Frequently.  Watched Good Morning Football today. ALL The hosts were trolling Bills fans like YOU for now calling for a Dome because they built the wrong team for Buffalo. I hate the the Patriots but they the were TOUGHER than the Bills last night, by a lot! That's our problem. Your silly answer is to build a dome stadium the Bills and the State of New York can't and won't pay for.. It ain't going to happen. And it shouldn't. Once again. Man up!            

I’m a man that enjoys quality football being played.  Not what we saw last night.  Far from quality.  

we have never played in a game like that?  You mean like the playoff game vs Baltimore last year?  

no.  The other stadiums aren’t NEARLY as windy.  Stats have been stated average 16mph wind in our stadium.  Highest in the league.  New Jersey stadium, the 3rd windiest averages 10mph.  That’s facts.  The wind is MUCH worse in Buffalo.  Chicago is the Windy City…….and their stadium is 50% LESS windy than ours.  What other facts would you like?

the hosts on tv were clowning on me.  Lol.  

I agree with you…..if we’re going to continue to play in this stadium, we must build a different type of team.  The league has turned into a passing league. We focused on building a team that could pass and stop the pass because that’s what the majority of the games come down to.  But because I our stadium is the windiest in the league by far, we can’t build a team in that way.  We tried…..and succeeded in doing so……too bad we can succeed long term due to the weather in our stadium. 

5 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

Vikings went to 4 SB's. I stand corrected. And haven't gone to one since. Patriots have won more SB's than anyone, The Steelers are a close second, The Packers the same. All play in weather at least as bad as Buffalo, and in Green Bay the weather is certifiably worse. You have no argument. Your not getting your soft comfy dome. The NFL's  true lasting legacy is playing in ALL conditions. I suggest you petition for the Arena Football League to come back. Sounds like that's your kinda game.... Beane built the wrong team. Blame him.         

They are NOT at least as bad as Buffalo.  16MPH winds compared to 8-10mph winds.  That’s NOT the same.

2 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

LOL

What about the Cowboys and 49ers who have 10 Super Bowls between them?

Pats won Super Bowls with Tom Brady.  Who went to a warm weather team and won a Super Bowl in his first year with them lol.

I wonder why the Super Bowl is played in ideal conditions?  Hmmmm....

Green Bay doesn't have the wind, this has been explained to you but I guess you don't know what wind does.

If you really want to know about Arena Football, since I've know a few people who played there and the game is tougher because the field is smaller and condensed and much more pinballed.  

These guys played high level college ball and all told me Arena is rougher on the body...so quit with this internet tough guy crap.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I was there for that game & actually wasn't too bad.  But every year, every time I make the drive to Orchard Park I have to check the forecast and usually how many layers to wear.  I'm too old for this.

Im jealous man. My brother was there too he said it was So Loud that you literally could not hear the person sitting next to you. RIP goosebump game for me  and Im not talkin weather 🙂

m

Just now, Muppy said:

Im jealous man. My brother was there too he said it was So Loud that you literally could not hear the person sitting next to you. RIP goosebump game for me  and Im not talkin weather 🙂

m

Funny story about that game.  Bought tickets from scalper, get in the stadium and go and sit in seats.  Someone else shows up in the same seats and we start an argument, then look at our tickets & they were for the AFC Semi-Final the week before😄.  

We got them cheap figuring people would watch at home and ended up just wandering around for 4 seats and having a great time.

• Haha (+1) 1

The elements have always been part of the game. No, it's not fun to watch a host of games like that, but those games are few and far between. If you had a problem with how the weather affected the game, i get it but you must be a causal. Because if you are a Patriot or Bills fan how were you bored? It had drama from beginning to end 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.