Coin Flip?

cage

I was away from the TV as the coin flip was happening, but heard announcers say that we deferred.  Did we in fact, win the coin flip, choose to defer so we get the 2nd half kick-off and thereby let the Patriots pick that they would play with the wind in Q2/4??I said immediately at the opening KO on my group chat what a mistake this was and that it may cost us a close game.  

How on earth does McD not make a strategic adjustment in his approach to this critical decision when the whole game was about the wind??

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

That's exactly what happened. I was telling my coworkers, "This is a huge mistake if Buffalo defers. Neither team is going to move the ball, but who has it with the wind at the end of half and the game is going to win."

And what do you know, they win, by losing the flip because Coach McD can't coach big games. He did it again by wasting a challenge on a play where the ball wasn't visible on replay. 

Edited by FieldGeneral
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This was/is still one of the most mystifying things of the entire game. Did our coaches not take any consideration of how the wind and direction choice would effect this game??? .... Not having the wind in the 4th quarter, when could have, is just mind-blowing.

McD more than anyone should know how to manipulate the situation if winning the toss to get the wind advantage in the 4th Qtr and failed.  It's amazing with the number of wind games we have that they still haven't mastered it.  Once again, in a wind game we had the wind at our backs for the 1st ad 3rd Qtrs,,which are the two shortest Qtrs in an NFL game.  You want the wind for the 2nd and 4th Qtrs, both if possible.  They are the two longest Qtrs and everyone uses their timeouts.  It's a disgrace that McD didn't figure this out by now.

24 minutes ago, cage said:

What wasn't a factor?  The decision on the coin flip?  It certainly was if you watched the 4th quarter.

The Bills moved the ball the best they did all game in the 4th quarter.

And they still had the ball with the wind for 2 quarters. Just like the Patriots did.

Again, the coin flip was a non factor in this game and to even insinuate it was is dumb at best and down right stupid at worst.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2

37 minutes ago, CSBill said:

This was/is still one of the most mystifying things of the entire game. Did our coaches not take any consideration of how the wind and direction choice would effect this game??? .... Not having the wind in the 4th quarter, when could have, is just mind-blowing.

Give me a break.

The Bills had the wind for 2 quarters. Just like the Patriots did. 

The Bills drove the ball down the field many times during this game, both with the wind and against it, and couldn't seal the deal by punching it into the endzone more than once. In fact, they had better sustained drives while going INTO the wind.

That is the bottom line. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Beast said:

The Bills moved the ball the best they did all game in the 4th quarter.

And they still had the ball with the wind for 2 quarters. Just like the Patriots did.

Again, the coin flip was a non factor in this game and to even insinuate it was is dumb at best and down right stupid at worst.

It wasn't meaningless to Belicheck... he's LFAO the whole flight back

I'm not suggesting that's solely why they lost.  All the other criticism of the team above are correct.  But coaches are supposed to give you a strategic edge, particularly at home.  

Edited by cage
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, cage said:

What wasn't a factor?  The decision on the coin flip?  It certainly was if you watched the 4th quarter.

I did -and it WASN’T a factor. Both teams drove the length of the field facing the wind late in the 3rd and throughout the 4th quarter. Our last drive ended with a long, clock eating drive that had us with 1st & Goal when Knox wasn’t strong enough to catch yet another throw that hit both his hands then jumped Offside and Allen and Beasley played the dangerous ‘If/Then’ pass pattern under a heavy blitz. 🤦‍♂️

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

It wasn't a factor in the game.

At all.

Absolutely this.

Problem was execution. We had wind in 1st Q and we did not capitalize. We could be up 14-0 and force Patriots to completely change their gameplan. We just didn't execute. Same with 4Q. Yes wind was a factor for Bass, but we still had tons of other plays and could've scored two TDs if we executed.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, cage said:

It wasn't meaningless to Belicheck... he's LFAO the whole flight back

I'm not suggesting that's solely why they lost.  All the other criticism of the team above are correct.  But coaches are supposed to give you a strategic edge, particularly at home.  

I doubt he was ACTUALLY laughing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.