Talent Evaluation

Milanos Milano

Just now, Bob in STL said:

Moss could have bumped that run outside for an easy 4 yards  before he would be touched.  He ran right into the blocking.  He is slow and lacks vision.  Same with Singletary. 

I agree about Moss, but I think every Bills fan in the world would be surprised how much better our backs would look with a competent line. Our run blocking, be it talent or scheme, is really really bad. Two years in a row now. They are built for pass protection, which is understandable, yet not since we play our home games in Buffalo.

12 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is how our draft should go. 

OG, OG, OT, OG, CB   . Unfortunately there aren’t very many good RBs in the draft this year and the FA isn’t great either. Draft a bunch of linemen and lets re-evaluated the running backs with a revamped offensive line. 

Where's the center? I'd draft a starting LT, preferably Trevor Penning, and move Dawkins inside. Waiting for the Breece Hall announcement

Edited by Solomon Grundy

15 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

it's brain worms. Sheer brain worms. The dude literally was willing us to win with some of the most insane throws you could possibly make then WHOOPS TIME TO HAND OFF THE BALL TO MOSS FOR NO GAIN AGAIN

They needed to run the ball. My issue is that they failed to build and coach a team to be able to do it successfully when they have to.

12 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Singletary at least rips off a 20-yard run at times. 

Yay, one 20 yard run followed by 7-8 2 yard runs. I'm done with all 3 of these worthless RB's. We need a complete OL/RB firesale.

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

No thanks 

Sorry, I need you to break that down into 2 paragraphs.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yay, one 20 yard run followed by 7-8 2 yard runs. I'm done with all 3 of these worthless RB's. We need a complete OL/RB firesale.

Unfortunately the draft doesn’t have very many speedy backs this year. We should just focus on a total OL rebuild. Draft 5 offensive linemen if we need to. Draft another OT and kick Dawkins inside, whatever anything. 

This game went almost exactly as many Bills fans expected.  The weather was a huge factor (and could have been worse if the forecasted snow had appeared), and it disrupted the passing game more than it did the running game.  And it's no surprise that the Bills aren't built to run well, and big powerful O lines give the Bills a tough time.  

All that said, we were very close to winning.  Two fourth quarter red zone trips, and no points.  Bass just barely missed his FG attempt and of course if he'd made it the Bills would have been going for another FG instead of needing a TD to win.  

This is a tough loss but we were one play from celebrating.  The Bills still have a very strong team and just like almost all teams they have a couple of weaknesses.  They're still definitely in the playoff hunt and will do well in domed stadiums and warm-weather locations.  The dream of a SB trip this year is NOT dead.

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Unfortunately the draft doesn’t have very many speedy backs this year. We should just focus on a total OL rebuild. Draft 5 offensive linemen if we need to. Draft another OT and kick Dawkins inside, whatever anything. 

The Bills definitely need a strong, brawling, tough OG.

Which is exactly what they thought they were getting when they moved up in the draft to grab Cody Ford in the second round.

Every team misses on high picks occasionally.  This year it looks like they found a good RT in the draft so maybe they're getting the hang of evaluating O line players.  

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Moss could have bumped that run outside for an easy 4 yards  before he would be touched.  He ran right into the blocking.  He is slow and lacks vision.  Same with Singletary. 

That is what I saw too. They had four plays to get a first down or score a TD. Had Moss gotten 4 or 5 yards on first they have three more downs to run any plays they want. Of all the run plays called I was fine with that call. Especially as Josh had been beating them they might have been caught not playing the run. A better RB makes a good gain there. 

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

And yet...

...had Josh Allen hit any of the many wide open receivers when we needed to score most, at the end of the game, we would have won a game that we were never out of.

I like our odds against New England in the rematch; this game was massively winnable tonight.

We were out-coached badly, Josh had one of his mediocre games b/c of poor line play as much as anything, and our entire approach to offense was not sound.  Of course, the defense couldn't stop the run, despite knowing it was coming.

Still, had we been able to pass as normal in this game, I think we win by maybe even 2 touchdowns.

You’re not lying.  A 50 yard pass hit Diggs in the arms while in the end zone…..but he didn’t see the pass.  A catch changes the game.  

2 huge drops by Knox plus his inability to box the safety on the 3rd down at the end.  

If the refs had spotted Macs qb sneak correctly from the start, we wouldn’t have needed irrefutable evidence to overturn…..it was pretty clear to me, that the ball never reached the marker.  3 points for the pats.

Tyler bass had the shortest missed fg of his career.  

the pats had 1 long run- and averaged 3.5 ypc on 45 rushes for 158 yards minus that run.  they had 11 first downs the entire game.  

breida decided to drop a handoff in scoring position and give away the ball. 

we outplayed them imo…..imo.  We just made a few CRUCIAL mistakes. 

Not to mention that we played the game in the center of a tornado 

6 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

If another draft goes by and we still don't have a legit RB1, the Pegulas will have some decisions to make IMO.

I'd rather they focus on o line / guard thana RB.  Unless we're talking Derek Henry or Jonathan Taylor, RBs are a dime a dozen.  I think our backs would significantly better with a decent o line (and scheme).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

2 huge drops by Knox plus his inability to box the safety on the 3rd down at the end.  

Plus his really awfully timed false start on our final series making it 3rd-14 instead of 3rd-9

Edited by saundena
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.