OK, armchair analysts: How do we fix this offense?

Just in Atlanta

The more I think about it the more I'm ready to die on the Antonio Williams hill. There's really nothing else you can do. How bad can he be? He's only 24, he's our last option, let's go. More obscure backs have gone off, let's see what he can do. 

Edited by Nelius
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, ClemsonBills said:

Can’t run the ball. Balance is crucial. Makes it harder to game plan 

if you can’t run the ball and it appears that way based on the 13 week sample size, it begs the question why try? 

can the run not be replaced by short quick passes within 0-5 yards of the line of scrimmage? 10-12 plays like this that are an extension of the run game?

36 minutes ago, Nelius said:

The more I think about it the more I'm ready to die on the Antonio Williams hill. There's really nothing else you can do. How bad can he be? He's only 24, he's our last option, let's go. More obscure backs have gone off, let's see what he can do. 

obscure backs go off when they have an offensive line that is good. Example Olandis Gary in Denver, many moons ago. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

obscure backs go off when they have an offensive line that is good. Example Olandis Gary in Denver, many moons ago. 

I actually thought about Olandis Gary when I posted that, good call. Cadillac Williams as well, etc.

I don't disagree with your your point, but I still stand by mine - this goes back to the RB's are a dime a dozen BS - yes you need a good line, but you also need a pretty decent back. I'm not talking about the line, that's a separate subject. I'm talking about the back, and ours aren't delivering and are incredibly underwhelming. Want to offer more commentary on our current running backs?

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I actually thought about Olandis Gary when I posted that, good call. Cadillac Williams as well, etc.

I don't disagree with your your point, but I still stand by mine - this goes back to the RB's are a dime a dozen BS - yes you need a good line, but you also need a pretty decent back. I'm not talking about the line in here, there are threads for that. I'm talking about the back, and ours aren't delivering and our incredibly underwhelming. Want to offer more commentary on our current backs?

I have very little confidence in our line thus making it tough to judge our backs. Moreover there is no creativity in the run game. Not jet sweeps, no fake jet sweeps, very few swing passes, no RB screens ever. No runs from under center. I never see a 6th o-lineman used. I think we used a 3 back shotgun/pistol formation for one play one the opening series, don’t think it was ever used again? Was that game planned in all week for one plan only? 

I honestly don’t think zeke Elliot would be putting up great numbers with this Oline and run game philosophy.

5 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

I have very little confidence in our line thus making it tough to judge our backs. Moreover there is no creativity in the run game. Not jet sweeps, no fake jet sweeps, very few swing passes, no RB screens ever. No runs from under center. I never see a 6th o-lineman used. I think we used a 3 back shotgun/pistol formation for one play one the opening series, don’t think it was ever used again? Was that game planned in all week for one plan only? 

I honestly don’t think zeke Elliot would be putting up great numbers with this Oline and run game philosophy.

Agree that it's probably coaching first, but at this point I'm also concerned with the talent. Primetime Zeke would probably move the chains a bit more on this offense, as would a Javonte Williams or Najee Harris for example. Playcalling does seem awful too though so it is hard to gauge overall I guess, but I just don't think there's a single back on this active roster that has it in them to really impact a game.

I don't get why people hate the Antonio Williams idea, though? It's very optimistic yeah but at this point in the season that's also basically it. Why not play him? What other option is there? I guess we can just continue to hope that Matt Breida suddenly becomes the back he's never really been, or I guess Singletary finally starts running faster lol. C'mon. I don't have much real hope in Antonio Williams but he's truly the only hope there is, the other 3 aren't going to surprise you down the stretch.

• Like (+1) 1

1) Bench Knox for at least 2 games

2) Use Mckenzie in the run game, more. Use his speed to widen defenses. Basically, get back to basics.

3) Limit Sanders targets, and put Beasley back in that #2 spot. 

4) Use and know homefield advantage.

5) Use motion and play action, even if just as window dressing to disguise plays, more.

6) Just pick a random game from last year and run the exact same plays, this year (lol, jk).

Fix the offense this year:

1. Bench/cut Moss permanently 

2. Start using short quick passes like a running game. Brady and Manning did it for 10+ years.

3. faster in game adjustments. If they called the normal offense the first 3 & 1/2 quarters instead of playing scared, they'd have scored more. 

4. Is it just me, or did they run a quick paced no huddle offense a lot more last year? Clock management has been mostly terrible.

5. Let Josh improvise in the red zone. More bootlegs and fewer HB runs up the gut for a yard and wasting downs.

6. Try and get guys RAC opportunities. Instead of throwing it deep all the time, get the ball out to the open guy.

Edited by jlgarsh
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

if you can’t run the ball and it appears that way based on the 13 week sample size, it begs the question why try? 

can the run not be replaced by short quick passes within 0-5 yards of the line of scrimmage? 10-12 plays like this that are an extension of the run game?

Williams looked good in limited action last year. Can't hurt to give him another look. 

Need to be more creative in the redzone. That’s the biggest difference between this year and last year. Last season we ranked in the top 5 in redzone offense. This year we are towards the bottom. 

This point in the season our run game is what it is. Much like last season, ineffective.  But our play calling in the redzone is something I believe can be fixed with the right play calling. Daboll needs to figure it out and fast

• Like (+1) 2

The O-Line has no sort of identity.

They pass block okay, for the most part, but I’ve not seen a run play that they have executed consistently.

The Cheats didn’t use that many different run plays last night, but they executed them as a unit, regularly.

We need to find a few run plays that we can actually execute regularly, as a unit, and forget about other stuff. Just run those few plays, and let the passing game take care of the rest.

Unfortunately, I have little confidence that that will be an approach that is taken.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think we’re too reverent to Beasley and Sanders.

I think those two have faded down the stretch here, and need Davis and McKenzie rotating in half the time and taking snaps away from them.

We have no presnap motion, no jet sweeps, no misdirection, no two backs in the backfield, we don’t roll the pocket.

We don’t seem to have a good hot read for blitzes. There is never a dump off available. 

We can’t call a slant to save our lives even with Diggs. 

We don’t run the ball straight forward, instead it’s always some delayed handoff or gimmick formation.

We have no NFL caliber Tight End outside of Knox. 

Allen presses a lot and he took a horrible sack in the red zone that cost the Bills. He had time tonight.

We don’t control the tempo at all, speed up or slow down. How are we getting plays off with 0-1 seconds left on the play clock?

Why is Zack Moss STILL GETTING red zone work? Why the hell is he still on this team? 

I've been saying this all season. It almost seems like Daboll is just getting lazy... depending solely on Allen way too much.  Last season, in most games, the passing game had more wrinkles, and gave defenses more to look at.

I'm not one of those who wants people fired after every loss, but I am growing more and more frustrated with the offensive play-calling.  I realize, our O-line is not very versatile, but they just can't rely on Allen dropping back, holding the ball forever and making an incredible pass. There has to be more. 

On Monday night, knowing that our running game is almost non-existent, I thought there would be a concerted effort made to get the ball out quick on short passes to Beasley, Diggs and Sanders...they have been able to do it before, and move the ball effectively.  Whether it is Daboll or McDermott, they not only got outcoached by Belchick, but they outcoached themselves on Monday night. 

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

1) Bench Knox for at least 2 games

2) Use Mckenzie in the run game, more. Use his speed to widen defenses. Basically, get back to basics.

3) Limit Sanders targets, and put Beasley back in that #2 spot. 

4) Use and know homefield advantage.

5) Use motion and play action, even if just as window dressing to disguise plays, more.

6) Just pick a random game from last year and run the exact same plays, this year (lol, jk).

For better or worse, I don't think we will be seeing a lot more of McKenzie down the stretch.  He may not even be in the lineup.  There has to be something going on behind the scenes between he and McDermott.  If he starts benching everyone who turns the ball over, there won't be a lot of guys left to play.

When you have first and goal from the 7 and cant hammer it in, at home it says it all.  Its says Daboll cant design a running game, that Beane is fooling himself with these runningbacks and Bobby Johnson isnt coaching anyone up.   BB would of had no problem getting 7 yards on 4 tries.

Edited by billsfan714

The players have to play better. It is as simple and as straightforward as that. 

The number of mistakes on offense last night on plays that at this level you just have to make was inexcusable. Just flat out bad execution by the people around Josh (who but for the sack on the penultimate drive played an excellent game). If anyone else on the offense had played as well as Josh last night, we win. 

14 minutes ago, Buftex said:

For better or worse, I don't think we will be seeing a lot more of McKenzie down the stretch.  He may not even be in the lineup.  There has to be something going on behind the scenes between he and McDermott.  If he starts benching everyone who turns the ball over, there won't be a lot of guys left to play.

Well we lead the league in fumbles by running backs. That is unacceptable. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.