McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

21 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

I have my issues with Coach McD and those issues are his in game decisions.  I do believe he has created a culture change for the better but he needs to shake things up on the coaching staff to include his offensive and defensive coordinators.  Beane and McD are tied at the hip and Beane will not get rid of him and despite my feelings nor should he as of yet.  For those saying who would you hire in place of McD because of the turnover we had in the past and where the organization is now well some Yankees fans  felt that way when Showalter was the coach and replaced by Torre.  Golden State fans  felt that way when Mark Jackson was fired and replaced by Steve Kerr.  I already know McD is not going anywhere but it is frustrating the poor in game decisions he makes.  Once again he has created some stability and I am hoping he can get over the hump like Andy Reid did.  We shall see what next year brings but again while McD is not going anywhere that should not be the case for Frazier and Dabol.

This.  1000% this.  You can't go into next season with loading the players we will undoubtedly lose because of the cap and expect a better outcome or even the same outcome.  Something has to change and just replacing Daboll isn't enough.  I like both Daboll and Frasier but we have been gifted an ALL TIME GREAT QB and Beane owes Josh a Super Bowl Caliber defense.  

17 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

McD is here to stay.

Bills MUST find a way to win close games.  The closest game we won was a 12-point victory over the Pats.  The games we lost were all close except for the Colts:

23-16 L (Pittsburgh) 7 points

34-31 L (Titans) 3 points

9-6 L (Jags) 3 points

41-15 L (Colts) 26 points

14-10 L (Pats) 4 points

33-27 L (Bucs) 6 points

42-36 L (Chiefs) 6 points

Ouch - lots to grow from there.

Last season they were the other way.  Like 5-1 in one score games.  Turnovers and win-loss record in 1 score games are not sustainable year over year.  That is why so many teams make the playoffs and miss year over year.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Serious question: What else are you going to do? Do you really want to fire everybody? You know, the people who made us into one of the elite teams in the NFL because you’re upset? 

Wanting to vent is natural. I hate it as much as any fan, which is to say a tiny fraction of how much the players and staff hate it. But the “fire everyone crowd” are just being immature and short sighted. Hopefully they can get over it sooner than later, and aren’t TOO disappointed when the smart billionaire owners to the prudent thing and stay the course. Things went against us last night. Mistakes were made. But our trajectory is solid and to mess with that in any major way would be shear stupidity. 

It was more of a flippant comment - that just seems to be under the franchise under different coaches and different players; we lose key games, move on.

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well said...its absurd.  

Same people wanting fire McD for wasting what they see as a sure fire SB are also complaining in other threads Beane sucks.  So if the roster is a SB worthy team, how could Beane suck if he built this team?  LMAO.  Its going to be a LONG offseason of insanity and ridiculous threads.

Like what Knox said about Allen..."anyone still doubting him doesn't seem to know a lot about football".  I say the same thing...anyone looking at McD and Beane as having done a bad job and needing to be fired, doesn't know as much about football as they think.  Not only would McD and Beane both be the top candidates for every open position in the NFL right now if we fired them, but I bet you there are some teams who did NOT fire their HC or GM that would fire them to hire McD or Beane if either suddenly came available tomorrow (which neither is going anywhere obviously).

This thread will be left to the torch and pitchfork crowd as rational people won’t waste much time on this silly nonsense. 

…..carry on…..

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills should clean house, and the reason I say this is I’m a Chiefs fan and Buffalo has put together a top 5 front office and coaching staff combination in the league.  Nothing would make me happier than to see a rival hoisted by its own petard.

Some here can’t see past the end of their noses.  It took a solid coaching job to have this be a close game at the end.  Kansas City led nearly the entire game.  After every single one of their possessions the Chiefs were either tied or had the lead.  Kansas City had 130 more yards of offense than the Bills did, and neither team turned the ball over or had penalty issues.  That the game was a coin flip with only a few minutes remaining is a testament to the fact that McDermott and company pulled a LOT of correct levers.  They were aggressive on fourth down, took the short stuff early before taking the top off the defense later, and cleaned up with Davis when the Chiefs took away Diggs.

There are a million ways to second guess the strategy at the end, and mistakes were made, but you’ve got to view the situation in totality.  Y’all weren’t playing Detroit.  You were on the road playing a team that has hosted the last 3 AFCCGs coached by a future HOFer.  In the same game last season, you saw Hill take a short pass for 70 yards and Hardman bust a run for 50 yards.  A few weeks ago, these coaches saw Kelce end the game by taking a short pass 60 yards for a house call.  In just this game, Hill had already taken a short pass for a 65 yard TD and nearly scored on a long punt return.  You think they remembered that when deciding not to play press coverage at the end?  I sure do.

It didn’t work, and that’s football.  A HOF coach called plays for a HOF QB to pass to a HOF WR and HOF TE, and a K who had missed 2 kicks in the game made a 48 yarder outdoors in January.  Sucks to be on the wrong end of it, but only one team can win.  You want to see true screw ups?  Watch the Cowboys run a draw play to run out the clock down 7.  Watch the Packers only send out 10 players to block a game winning FG coming out of a timeout.  Those are inexcusable screw ups.  The end of game strategy last night is one you’d like a do-over on.  In the end, you had 11 exhausted defensive players come up agonizingly short against another great team.

You don’t tear down the foundation of the (second?) best team in the NFL because they lost by an eyelash in what might be literally the greatest football game ever played.  But if you do, I’ll celebrate.

Edited by Billl
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

The Bills should clean house, and the reason I say this is I’m a Chiefs fan and Buffalo has put together a top 5 front office and coaching staff combination in the league.  Nothing would make me happier than to see a rival hoisted by its own petard.

Some here can’t see past the end of their noses.  It took a solid coaching job to have this be a close game at the end.  Kansas City led nearly the entire game.  After every single one of their possessions the Chiefs were either tied or had the lead.  Kansas City had 130 more yards of offense than the Bills did, and neither team turned the ball over or had penalty issues.  That the game was a coin flip with only a few minutes remaining is a testament to the fact that McDermott and company pulled a LOT of correct levers.  They were aggressive on fourth down, took the short stuff early before taking the top off the defense later, and cleaned up with Davis when the Chiefs took away Diggs.

There are a million ways to second guess the strategy at the end, and mistakes were made, but you’ve got to view the situation in totality.  Y’all weren’t playing Detroit.  You were on the road playing a team that has hosted the last 3 AFCCGs coached by a future HOFer.  In the same game last season, you saw Hill take a short pass for 70 yards and Hardman bust a run for 50 yards.  A few weeks ago, these coaches saw Kelce end the game by taking a short pass 60 yards for a house call.  In just this game, Hill had already taken a short pass for a 65 yard TD and nearly scored on a long punt return.  You think they remembered that when deciding not to play press coverage at the end?  I sure do.

It didn’t work, and that’s football.  A HOF coach called plays for a HOF QB to pass to a HOF WR and HOF TE, and a K who had missed 2 kicks in the game made a 48 harder outdoors in January.  Sucks to be on the wrong end of it, but only one team can win.  You want to see true screw ups?  Watch the Cowboys run a draw play to run out the clock down 7.  Watch the Packers only send out 10 players to block a game winning FG coming out of a timeout.  Those are inexcusable screw ups.  The end of game strategy last night is one you’d like a do-over on.  In the end, you had 11 exhausted defensive players come up agonizingly short against another great team.

You don’t tear down the foundation of the (second?) best team in the NFL because they lost by an eyelash in what might be literally the greatest football game ever played.  But if you do, I’ll celebrate.

Lucky for us....Beane is smarter then this

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I just don’t know if I’ll ever forgive McDermott for stealing that comeback from us. Think about how happy you were after that TD. He took that from us and now he won’t even admit his mistakes. 

Look into how many times Andy Reid lost a championship game before getting to the big dance....

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Billl said:

It didn’t work, and that’s football.  A HOF coach called plays for a HOF QB to pass to a HOF WR and HOF TE, and a K who had missed 2 kicks in the game made a 48 yarder outdoors in January.  Sucks to be on the wrong end of it, but only one team can win.  You want to see true screw ups?  Watch the Cowboys run a draw play to run out the clock down 7.  Watch the Packers only send out 10 players to block a game winning FG coming out of a timeout.  Those are inexcusable screw ups.  The end of game strategy last night is one you’d like a do-over on.  In the end, you had 11 exhausted defensive players come up agonizingly short against another great team.

Great post. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Billl said:

Emotions are running high, but I’m still confused by why this is not obvious to more people. Great post! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Billl said:

Perfectly put. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Billl said:

I feel better after reading this post, but I don't think you know how many last second losses the Bills/Sabres have had throughout their history. It's like this city is cursed. The Cowboys and Packers have multiple Superbowl wins to fall back on, all we have is misery.

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Thank you (+1) 1

After watching the Sabres I'd be terrified of who the Pegula's would hire.  I'm shocked at how bad McDermott was in those last 13 seconds last night.  We've had way too much success over the last five seasons considering where we were when he got here to fire him over those 13 seconds of absolute mindbogglingly bad coaching.  I'd love an explanation of what he was thinking though.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, DocLawless said:

Andy Reid was gifted a 3 pt lead with 13 seconds left in a playoff game and schemed/strategized his team to a loss still? Didn't know this! 

Where did I say Reid lost EXACTLY like this Bills did?   The point was he lost several times before getting over the hump.  A loss is a loss.   He went to 4 straight NFC championship games and LOST the first 3.

Marv Levy lost the AFC championship in 1988, then was one and done in the post season in 89.  I guess the Bills should have fired his @ss right? LOL  some people.

Edited by Azucho98

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.