McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

10 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Let's revisit this shall we... I mean we have this thread going for a while and I really want to hear what people that want him fired still have to say...

@Wizard Still want him fired?  

Wait until we lose to Atlanta next week!  LOL  

This thread will be alive and well.  

The average Bills fan has seems to have a knowledge base that is about 1 game long.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/6/2021 at 9:09 PM, Wizard said:

There was absolutely no reason that the Bills should have lost this game! For this reason, the Pegula’s need to clean out some of the coaching leadership.

The odds of screwing up so many times in a row in a game is probably a million to one. That comes down to poor coaching and players not executing. When players screw up and coaches can not adjust, then this means that McDermott’s coaching ceiling has already been reached. He and his staff are average despite the team’s history

Great Coach gets 10-14 points in the situation below.  Good coach gets 6 to 7 points. Replaceable coach gets 0-3 points. 

2x’s in the last 6 minutes the Patriots gift wrapped two very doable red zone touchdown opportunities. And, Allen gets sacked, an idiot TE false start, a missed field goal, and passing the ball when running could have led to more manageable play calling rather than 3rd and long and 4th and 14 situations.

No adjustments…means no Confidence!

The team lost at home with the best fans, better receivers, and quarterback, unbelievable opportunities to win, and the defense knowing in advance that 95% of the team’s plays would be runs. Mac Jones may have set a record in the last 40 years with 19 pass yards! In other words, our defensive line knew what was coming and the Hoodie decided to be completely one dimensional knowing the Bills could do nothing about it!!!

Winning Culture

Yes, there was wind and stats were not going to be as big tonight. The Bills had every reason to win and own the division. It was blanking Monday Night Football. The team had this game circled all season. No amount of clapping, rah rah, or “process” makes up for fumbling the game away.

Bad coaching, players aren’t executing, and we can’t build our offense or defense with underwhelming line play, time management issues, and not getting the ball from a 30 million dollar QB not getting the ball to Diggs or a line not capable of digging in and getting 10 yards on the ground with some old-fashion tough running.

Ceiling has been reached..new voices

A weaker AFC, Derrick Henry going down, the Chiefs inconsistencies and Ravens, and the inability to beat playoff caliber teams, execute at key times, and the lack of consistency on the lines means this is McDermott’s ceiling.

Time for Bills to make big changes!

Whoops

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

McD has been the best coach the Bills have had since Wade Phillips. Every single coach has a game here or there where things just seem to not align. His record and going to the AFC Championship game last year tells me McD is not going anywhere - just a hunch- step off the ledge, take a deep breath- we are 9-6 and control our destiny.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

After yesterday i'm putting this post up for the worst post of the year award it was foolish before but after yesterday with a very good possibility of a second  consecutive AFC east division championship this post is full of holes and holds absolutely no water what so ever !! 

But that's just me ...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

12 hours ago, CaliBills said:

Let's revisit this shall we... I mean we have this thread going for a while and I really want to hear what people that want him fired still have to say...

@Wizard Still want him fired?  

I don't want him fired, though I still have a fear that he will get conservative when it matters. Yesterday was a good job in that regard however 

28 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

I don't want him fired, though I still have a fear that he will get conservative when it matters. Yesterday was a good job in that regard however 

I feel judging a coach aggressiveness vs conservative in hindsight is unrealistic.  It is easy to say after the results show themselves that a different decision should have been made.  

The same people calling for him to be more aggressive like he was yesterday would also be the same people complaining if we lost due to that said aggressiveness(not all, but some). Like Staley has hurt the Chargers by being too aggressive.

For instance, 4-1, on the final drive, we don't make it.  Regardless of play call, we do not get it or he goes for a FG and we miss, and the Pats then drive the field and score a TD and we lose the game.

Those exact same people saying he needs to be aggressive, would say, well he should of punted and made them drive the whole field.   

Every coach makes game time decisions that can go either way and ONLY in hindsight is it proven right or wrong.  

Edited by CaliBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/16/2021 at 4:57 PM, Azucho98 said:

Bills were 9-7 in 1989 and one and done in the playoffs after a 12-4 season in 1988 and making it to the AFC Championship game.  

Several fans were yelling and screaming saying Kelly should be benched and Levy fired....  You all know how that turned out.

You mean with no Superbowl wins?

Levy notoriously coached tight in those games, the same complaint as many of us have had about McD in the majority of his big games. 

With a QB like Josh, we SHOULD be in the playoffs annually, as most elite QBs are. Looking at that solely as an accomplishment vs Dick Jauron having Trent Edwards or something is setting the bar so incredibly low. We have a franchise top 5 QB now, the bar is at winning a Superbowl, and that's where McD should be judged and determining if he's the guy that can do that. 

13 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

I feel judging a coach aggressiveness vs conservative in hindsight is unrealistic.  It is easy to say after the results show themselves that a different decision should have been made.  

The same people calling for him to be more aggressive like he was yesterday would also be the same people complaining if we lost due to that said aggressiveness(not all, but some). Like Staley has hurt the Chargers by being too aggressive.

For instance, 4-1, on the final drive, we don't make it.  Regardless of play call, we do not get it or he goes for a FG and we miss, and the Pats then drive the field and score a TD and we lose the game.

Those exact same people saying he needs to be aggressive, would say, well he should of punted and made them drive the whole field.   

Every coach makes game time decisions that can go either way and ONLY in hindsight is it proven right or wrong.  

This is for the most part so incredibly untrue though. Yes there are people who live in hindsight and will complain no matter what if things go wrong, but there are so many that understand that the right call doesn't always mean a successful outcome individually, it just means over time, the team will benefit from consistently making the right decisions. 

To give you an example, I am not a McD guy, but I was here totally defending him for the call to go for it at the end of the Titans game. I hated the playcall because we never, ever get push on those QB sneaks up the middle as we saw yesterday even on a good day, and McD is part of that decision, but the decision in of itself to go for it was 100% the right one and I'd want us to do it again if that situation arises again. 

Regardless, its not about the individual people who complain. It's just about making the right decision. Going for it there on 4th and 1 after our D just pretty easily gave up a TD on the last possession, with Josh playing the way he was, was the right move whether he juked Jaime Collins to get the 1st down or not. When the chips are down, you go to your best. We didn't do that in the AFC Championship last year and that was with our D getting slashed. I don't think we would have won the game anyway but I don't feel at all that McD gave this team the best opportunity to win that game. And you just can't afford for your head coach to do that, especially in the

playoffs. 

The main point is the outcome does not determine whether it was the right decision or not. If you're down by 2 and you have the ball at the opposing 20 with 3 seconds left and you go for the FG, is it the wrong call if you miss? No. Same as if that coach decided to go with a fake FG and ends up getting the TD, I don't think that was the right call unless the kicker was hurt or something. So yes, you can judge a coach by their decision-making regardless of the outcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Probably. Not me though. I'm always of the same mindset. Love what Harbaugh does as well as an example 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

After yesterday i'm putting this post up for the worst post of the year award it was foolish before but after yesterday with a very good possibility of a second  consecutive AFC east division championship this post is full of holes and holds absolutely no water what so ever !! 

But that's just me ...

I already referenced it as worst post of the year back when it started lmao.  

This board is full of the most ridiculous and stupid stuff after a loss.  Last year we went 13-3 and there were people talking about firing McD and Beane after those losses too lmao.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

This is for the most part so incredibly untrue though. Yes there are people who live in hindsight and will complain no matter what if things go wrong, but there are so many that understand that the right call doesn't always mean a successful outcome individually, it just means over time, the team will benefit from consistently making the right decisions. 

To give you an example, I am not a McD guy, but I was here totally defending him for the call to go for it at the end of the Titans game. I hated the playcall because we never, ever get push on those QB sneaks up the middle as we saw yesterday even on a good day, and McD is part of that decision, but the decision in of itself to go for it was 100% the right one and I'd want us to do it again if that situation arises again. 

Regardless, its not about the individual people who complain. It's just about making the right decision. Going for it there on 4th and 1 after our D just pretty easily gave up a TD on the last possession, with Josh playing the way he was, was the right move whether he juked Jaime Collins to get the 1st down or not. When the chips are down, you go to your best. We didn't do that in the AFC Championship last year and that was with our D getting slashed. I don't think we would have won the game anyway but I don't feel at all that McD gave this team the best opportunity to win that game. And you just can't afford for your head coach to do that, especially in the

playoffs. 

The main point is the outcome does not determine whether it was the right decision or not. If you're down by 2 and you have the ball at the opposing 20 with 3 seconds left and you go for the FG, is it the wrong call if you miss? No. Same as if that coach decided to go with a fake FG and ends up getting the TD, I don't think that was the right call unless the kicker was hurt or something. So yes, you can judge a coach by their decision-making regardless of the outcome. 

You know - I will digress.  I will enjoy finally having a coach that seems to know what he is doing regardless of "analytic people" saying other wise.

Edited: Decided to delete previous post as it does me no good to continue the conversation.

Happy Holidays

Edited by CaliBills
  • Like (+1) 2

This thread is so insanely foolish especially after yesterday's win (even with a loss yesterday it still is foolish). The Bills from 2000-2016 had two winning seasons (a pair of 9-7 seasons in 2004 and 2016) and zero playoff appearances. From 2017-2021 the Bills have 3 playoff appearances (and working on a 4th one), a pair of playoff victories, a division title (and working on a second one) 4 winning seasons, and have successfully developed a franchise QB for the first time since Jim Kelly. Also, the defense 

What more do you want from a coach and organization? Yes, if this team repeatedly falling short in the playoffs or enduring a bad stretch of seasons then eventually you have to try and move on from a coach. But McD has not shown any of those just yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, T master said:

But that's just me ...

Here here…pure craaaaaap lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.