McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

5 hours ago, MrSarcasm said:

So who would you have Buffalo hire to replace McDermott that is available and an upgrade?

There are good candidates available every year…too early to say who the best candidates are…but you already knew that

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

There are good candidates available every year…too early to say who the best candidates are…but you already knew that

This is pretty much true.  Somewhere in this league, a solid coach will be fired this year! Maybe multiple coaches.

The trick is knowing which one is excellent, which one is a clown, and everything in between.

Keep in mind Pegula hired Rex Ryan and his hockey team is about to break an NHL record for playoff futility.

So proceed with caution!

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott may not be a perfect coach.  He may make mistakes.  But I believe the chances for future success (as in for the next decade) are far better by retaining McDermott and building on the continuity we've had for the last 3 years than in making a change at the present time. I am dead set against making a mistake and I think it would be the single biggest mistake the Pegulas could possibly make.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

There's a very strong possibility that neither the Eagles organization nor Andy Reid would have Super Bowl rings had they not gone their separate ways.

This is true- sometimes it takes hitting a low to reset your beliefs. Reid was a good coach for eagles but is a much more "wide-open" coach with KC and KC has benefitted

3 hours ago, mannc said:

No. The fact that you can't even name one dude tells me that is not the case.  All I'm asking for is one candidate that would be an upgrade over McDermott.

I understand you don't want to look like a fool so you stay silent and just complain about the current regime.

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

No. The fact that you can't even name one dude tells me that is not the case.  All I'm asking for is one candidate that would be an upgrade over McDermott.

I understand you don't want to look like a fool so you stay silent and just complain about the current regime.

Look, I'm not the owner or the general manager of the Buffalo Bills so I don't spend a lot of time scouting up and coming offensive coordinators or other candidates who my team might hire in the event that we are going to fire our HC.  What I do know is that every year there are promising candidates available, such as Brandon Staley, for example. I also know that McDermott isn't going anywhere, no matter how badly the Bills finish this season, so this is purely a theoretical discussion.  But I believe McDermott has shown that he's not capable of taking this team to the Super Bowl and winning it, which should be the goal, not just making the playoffs. We are wasting the prime years of Josh Allen's career.      

11 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

I've never been a fan if McDermott. His teams are soft, and he sucks on gameday, too rigid and slow to adjust. His teams can only kick ass when the opposing team sucks or is injury riddled.

He won't be fired anytime soon, and due to that, the Bills aren't winning anything bigtime during Allen's career. If the coaching were of higher caliber and the team was overachieving instead if under, they'd be more of a SB threat.

8 hours ago, mannc said:

Look, I'm not the owner or the general manager of the Buffalo Bills so I don't spend a lot of time scouting up and coming offensive coordinators or other candidates who my team might hire in the event that we are going to fire our HC.  What I do know is that every year there are promising candidates available, such as Brandon Staley, for example. I also know that McDermott isn't going anywhere, no matter how badly the Bills finish this season, so this is purely a theoretical discussion.  But I believe McDermott has shown that he's not capable of taking this team to the Super Bowl and winning it, which should be the goal, not just making the playoffs. We are wasting the prime years of Josh Allen's career.      

And that is the point.  He won't be fired (maybe he'll find a better job??), but that doesn't take away from his shortcomings, which have been on display all year.

It's a hard thing to say, really.

McDermott resurrected this zombie franchise and made us relevant. Beane has some STELLAR draft hits (Allen, Knox, MIlano) but also some agonizing misses (Oliver, Epenesa).

Do I want either of them canned at this point? NO.

But I do want to see some sacrificial lambs led to the slaughter. I'm thinking Daboll and Frazier would do nicely.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

But I do want to see some sacrificial lambs led to the slaughter. I'm thinking Daboll and Frazier would do nicely.

What is that point when you need to see people fired? The D is ranked #1 and the O is in the top 10.

What do you hope to gain? You can't be higher than #1.

This board lacks patience. Every top 10 coach has had a 'stumble year' where they don't make the playoffs. This is Buffalos stumble year, yet they will be in the playoffs.

A bunch of loonies on this board.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

What is that point when you need to see people fired? The D is ranked #1 and the O is in the top 10.

This board lacks patience. Every top 10 coach has had a 'stumble year' where they don't make the playoffs. This is Buffalos stumble year, yet they will be in the playoffs.

This. This. This again. 

31 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

You're honestly ok with Daboll's offense at the moment?

Predictable, and eminently stoppable by even an AVERAGE defense. Frazier also has extreme difficulty adjusting.

34 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Predictable, and eminently stoppable by even an AVERAGE defense. Frazier also has extreme difficulty adjusting.

Exactly....  This year is skewed by beating up on bad opponents and inexperienced QB's.

The pass rush is not good.  Watch the pressure Allen was under vs. the Bucs and how little we've generated when needed.

43 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yes I am.

Do you expect every coach/coordinator to be perfect or high performing EVERY game?

KC has struggled on offense this year so by your own standards Andy Reid should be fired. Again this board is full of loonies.

1 minute ago, MrSarcasm said:

Yes I am.

Do you expect every coach/coordinator to be perfect or high performing EVERY game?

KC has struggled on offense this year so by your own standards Andy Reid should be fired. Again this board is full of loonies.

You'll pardon me if a Super Bowl winning coach (x2) gets the benefit of the doubt when Brian Daboll doesn't.

Daboll's proven exactly nothing.

And unlike Reid, whose offense has improvcd through the year, Daboll's has gotten worse.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Beanes only stellar draft hit is Allen… he’s been pretty meh outside of him with his picks. 

Knox and Milano were also HUGE finds.

And Dawkins/White by McDermott also really good.

Let's be fair.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You'll pardon me if a Super Bowl winning coach (x2) gets the benefit of the doubt when Brian Daboll doesn't.

Daboll's proven exactly nothing.

And unlike Reid, whose offense has improvcd through the year, Daboll's has gotten worse.

Andy Reid has won 2 Super Bowls?

How has Andy Reids offense 'improved' this year over last?

Also what do you want to see from the offense statistically each game that would make you happy with the coordinator, 60 pts- 700 yards? Lol

Edited by MrSarcasm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.