McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

1 hour ago, Seoulofstone said:

You're talking i suppose about individual production? Because the defence and Offense are both top 10 units. Every team in the NFL that has a franchise QB (and some that don't) are tight to the cap especially after the freeze. I can agree that players like Trent Murphy and Vernon Butler have been hugely overpaid. So yes, loyalty and over investment in players who have let them down has happened.

But again collectively the units are successful So perhaps the decision making deserves the benfit of the doubt?

Meanwhile for the first time in a long time the Bills are holding on to their successful draft picks. Extending them. Fazing out older players. This is good roster management. Its not flashy (do we want to be like the Rams?) but teams like the Ravens have been doing it like this for years.

You mentioned that Beane dug us out of cap hell, or something similar. Our two weakest links on the roster are also our two highest paid units in both cash and draft capital. 

White washing the lack of production of the OL and/or DL with "we have a top 10 offense and a top 10 defense" is relatively useless. The defense is good. But our production from our DL given our investment is bad. Josh Allen is good, our OL is not top 5, but we pay them like they are. All teams have issues, that is fair. But we have invested heavily in our issues and they are still not up to par.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

im not on the fire McD bus yet.   our coordinators are upsetting me tho.   we seem to either make no adjustments or make them waaaay tooooo late to matter.   thats poor and a huge problem.     this team is set up to play one way on offense and defense.    that is also a problem.     youre gonna run into teams that take what u love to do away,  and if u cant adjust to it youre gonna get alot of Ls.    

D is in light nickel every play,  so they get run on.

O is a spread team that cant run,  so in poor weather or against good pass D teams,  they cant score.

you either figure it out,  or get figured out.   right now feels like our team has been figured out.  time to adjust.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

You mentioned that Beane dug us out of cap hell, or something similar. Our two weakest links on the roster are also our two highest paid units in both cash and draft capital. 

White washing the lack of production of the OL and/or DL with "we have a top 10 offense and a top 10 defense" is relatively useless. The defense is good. But our production from our DL given our investment is bad. Josh Allen is good, our OL is not top 5, but we pay them like they are. All teams have issues, that is fair. But we have invested heavily in our issues and they are still not up to par.

Spot on.  

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah let's get rid of him and go back to a crappy culture with a team that will never be competitive. Let's get Rex back! Seriously man what do you expect? Look what he's done while he's here. Look at the entire AFC right now. Fire all coaches except belicheat I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott is fine. It is amazing though that a former wrestler  has such a soft team. This team lacks toughness. 

A win in Tampa will turn everything around. They beat Tampa and get a little swagger and they might not lose again this year.

Edited by Evian

I have personally never said McD should or more importantly will be fired.  I have said that I don’t think he will ever win a Super Bowl as head coach of the Bills.  Knowing that he won’t be fired, and we have another years more of being good not great is the toughest part.

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Mango said:

The defense is good. But our production from our DL given our investment is bad.

Looks like Star pitched a shutout last night. No tackles. I don't want to be a "boxscore scout." So I'll leave it to the All 22 reviewers to show me how he occupied two Pats linemen most of the night, allowing Tremaine Edmunds to be the run stuffer we always knew he could be.  

36 minutes ago, cDAVIS said:

Yeah let's get rid of him and go back to a crappy culture with a team that will never be competitive. Let's get Rex back! Seriously man what do you expect? Look what he's done while he's here. Look at the entire AFC right now. Fire all coaches except belicheat I guess.

I don't want to see him fired for exactly these reasons.

But what I want or don't want to see doesn't matter. The Bills' turnaround under McD has bought him at least one more season, but realistically only one more season. It's hard to see this team advancing to the AFC Championship again. If that doesn't happen (particularly if they blow it and don't make the playoffs at all), it's one step back instead of one step forward to the Super Bowl. And coaches on teams considered to have "the most talented roster in the conference" don't last long unless their teams play like that's true.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

mcdermott is much better than daboll. McD is not BB, but nobody is. This is like steelers fans wanting tomlin to get the ax. great idea, but who out there is better? 

The thing about Tomlin is... that he has had Big Ben for his entire time as the Steelers head coach. Nobody behind Ben worth a darn too.

Tomlin is noted to be a good defensive mind and they usually have a decent defense. Not this season and they are fading on both sides of the ball. they found the right RB but their line is poor.

In Buffalo this all comes down to the offense being bad almost all season against teams they should beat. How in the world does a cover 2 shell defense stop this much talent on offense for so many games? Suddenly the Bills can't score points.

I keep going back to the 6 points scored against Jacksonville with the 30th ranked defense and the Bills just keep going with the same old, same old because they can beat the Jets along with some other bad teams.

Something changed somewhere in Buffalo on offense since last seasons playoff games. In 2020 after destroying the Patriots 38-9 IN New England, beating Miami 56-26 week 17. They slow down against the Colts 27-24 in a WC game and only score 10 offensive points against the Ravens. 

That first game of the 2021 season in a 16-23 loss to the Steelers...

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

I won’t go that far, but he has proven to be a poor game day coach.

That challenge was inexcusable and was never going to work.

Cost us an important timeout.

I honestly thought he called that to give his D a breather from getting trucked—IIRC, that was on a FG drive?

28 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d say the 1st Act of the McDermott era needs to end.  He’s earned a 2nd Act and the right to re-tool this team from a soft one to one that can win in the trenches.  The defense only needs a couple minor tweaks.  The offense needs a philosophy change.  

I've made my peace with this year being whatever it turns out to be.  It's up to McBeane to make choices that determine whether this is the end of something or the start of something.  The faults in this team are obvious.  We got so wrapped up in this new era of football that we can't run the ball, and we can't stop the run.  On its own, that's just a cliche. 

But we're soooooo bad at it that teams can  drop 7 or 8 into coverage AND get home with 3 or 4 rushers AND defend the run at the same time.  And that's how you waste all this skill position talent and Josh's rookie deal years.  At minimum, the OL personnel and coaching need an overhaul, and Daboll needs to go out behind the woodshed.

Edited by Coffeesforclosers

This is one of those "Be careful what you wish for" threads.

Do Not fire Sean McDermott.  Do not run him outta town.

Is he perfect? no.  Is anyone perfect?  He has created the culture in Buffalo that has turned around the entire franchise.  He's a good coach that players respect.  Will McD have to fire some assistants?  Probably, eventually.  Will he have to convene with Brandon Beane in the offseason to figure out a proper vision forward for this football team?  Yes, absolutely.   But it's dumb to suggest firing him and another club would hire him in a nanosecond.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Im over the mcdermott era too.

He just hasn't had it from the get-go this season. Its very strange.

He cant make adjustments. Its embarrassing.

Why are you going to defer and go 3 and out at the start of the half? Hes been deferring all season and this is what has happened more times than not.

Secondly, the belichick wasnt playing chess, if he was, then it was the equivalent of making a pon move 1 space down the board. He didnt use queen, bishop, rooks, or horse.

He literally just ran the ball. He did this before in 2008 when Matt Cassel threw the ball a whopping 8x. It was the same script.

Yet McDermott couldnt prepare for it on a long week. I cant even get into his game management skills.

Its very sad, and perplexing.

He needs to go.

Wish we could get Frank Reich.  McD is not even on Frank's level, Frank actually can game plan when McD can't.  I would swap coaches with Indy in a NY minute.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Looks like Star pitched a shutout last night. No tackles. I don't want to be a "boxscore scout." So I'll leave it to the All 22 reviewers to show me how he occupied two Pats linemen most of the night, allowing Tremaine Edmunds to be the run stuffer we always knew he could be.  

I don't want to see him fired for exactly these reasons.

But what I want or don't want to see doesn't matter. The Bills' turnaround under McD has bought him at least one more season, but realistically only one more season. It's hard to see this team advancing to the AFC Championship again. If that doesn't happen (particularly if they blow it and don't make the playoffs at all), it's one step back instead of one step forward to the Super Bowl. And coaches on teams considered to have "the most talented roster in the conference" don't last long unless their teams play like that's true.

Yeah.  Holy crap Tremaine sucked last night.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.