McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

No way. The Bills were the better team last night. Brieda fumbled in FG range early. Knox dropped two 3rd down conversions. Diggs dropped a touchdown. Allen took a bad sack on the penultimate drive that probably led to Bass missing the FG. Knox with an awful penalty on the final drive. 

This was an execution failure and is 100% on the players. The coaches put them in position in difficult conditions to win a football game against a good opponent. The players made critical mistakes. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No way. The Bills were the better team last night. Brieda fumbled in FG range early. Knox dropped two 3rd down conversions. Diggs dropped a touchdown. Allen took a bad sack on the penultimate drive that probably led to Bass missing the FG. Knox with an awful penalty on the final drive. 

This was an execution failure and is 100% on the players. The coaches put them in position in difficult conditions to win a football game against a good opponent. The players made critical mistakes. 

Do you really believe McDermott is the coach to win a SuperBowl? He burned a challenge on a QB sneak that no one from either sideline could see the player or the ball. 
If it is 100% on the players, then is Beane culpable in this mess? Other teams made moves to get better at the trade deadline. Bills didn’t make a move with obvious issues at TE, DT, RB, and OG. 
This team was a SuperBowl pick. If they don’t make the playoffs then is anyone held accountable? Or do you just give McD another year? How many years ? First I thought McDermott was Dungy with Tampa. Now I’m thinking he is at best Marty Schottenheimer.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This team has a top 3 QB and is not going to make the playoffs. McDermott should be fired. Beane did nothing at the trade deadline to help this flawed team.

They won’t be fired but both should go. 

Bills have an 85% of making the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Do you really believe McDermott is the coach to win a SuperBowl? He burned a challenge on a QB sneak that no one from either sideline could see the player or the ball. 
If it is 100% on the players, then is Beane culpable in this mess? Other teams made moves to get better at the trade deadline. Bills didn’t make a move with obvious issues at TE, DT, RB, and OG. 
This team was a SuperBowl pick. If they don’t make the playoffs then is anyone held accountable? Or do you just give McD another year? How many years ? First I thought McDermott was Dungy with Tampa. Now I’m thinking he is at best Marty Schottenheimer.  

He challenged to essentially take a timeout without taking the timeout to give them a breather.  Yeah odds were low that play would be overturned, but you never know. I can't fault him there, gonna waste a timeout anyway, why not try to get a better spot.

31 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I don't know if he is a coach to win us a Superbowl. But I'd say I feel as good about him as any other NFL coach who hasn't yet won one. 

And let's not construct a straw man. I said last night's defeat was squarely on the players. We were the better team, that was clear to me. We didn't execute in big spots plays that were 100% there to be made. 

As for accountability for the season, yes McDermott deserves some. The Jacksonville defeat can't happen and that was largely on a team that came out of its bye complacent. And yes, you can still at times question his game management and time out usage. However, I definitely, definitely, definitely, hold the personnel side more accountable (McD has some say in that too so he isn't absolved of blame). I don't think they have made good enough personnel decisions the last two years for the most part to add the "over the top" pieces to a very solid core. Beane, Schoen and McDermott to the extent he was in on those calls have some questions to answer. 

As for firing people? Absolutely not. No way I am firing McDermott or Beane this offseason.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know one thing: IF we're missing the playoffs this year then the 13-3 record and AFC Championship appearance doesn't matter. It's all in the past anyway. We would have missed the playoffs THIS YEAR. McDermott has to go. And it's not our job to provide coaching alternatives.

Beane should be gone too. But he's not.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin
  • Disagree 1

You look at the season and the Colts game is the only game we were not in with a chance to win at the end.  McD got out coached last night by the GOAT; he’s certainly not alone in that.  He made a questionable call on the challenge, but other than that the one thing I’d criticize is he should have made the adjustment to have Milano run blitz earlier.

He does need to look at Daboll and decide if he’s the right guy going forward.  And Beane needs to upgrade the interior of the line on both sides of the ball.  The losses we’ve had boil down to other teams being able to dominate the LOS, and it’s hard to coach guys to be stronger than the guy across from them.

A lot of crying today, but in the end we lost this game because the D over pursued on one play and got burned for a 60 yard run.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Wizard said:

There was absolutely no reason that the Bills should have lost this game! For this reason, the Pegula’s need to clean out some of the coaching leadership.

The odds of screwing up so many times in a row in a game is probably a million to one. That comes down to poor coaching and players not executing. When players screw up and coaches can not adjust, then this means that McDermott’s coaching ceiling has already been reached. He and his staff are average despite the team’s history

Great Coach gets 10-14 points in the situation below.  Good coach gets 6 to 7 points. Replaceable coach gets 0-3 points. 

2x’s in the last 6 minutes the Patriots gift wrapped two very doable red zone touchdown opportunities. And, Allen gets sacked, an idiot TE false start, a missed field goal, and passing the ball when running could have led to more manageable play calling rather than 3rd and long and 4th and 14 situations.

No adjustments…means no Confidence!

The team lost at home with the best fans, better receivers, and quarterback, unbelievable opportunities to win, and the defense knowing in advance that 95% of the team’s plays would be runs. Mac Jones may have set a record in the last 40 years with 19 pass yards! In other words, our defensive line knew what was coming and the Hoodie decided to be completely one dimensional knowing the Bills could do nothing about it!!!

Winning Culture

Yes, there was wind and stats were not going to be as big tonight. The Bills had every reason to win and own the division. It was blanking Monday Night Football. The team had this game circled all season. No amount of clapping, rah rah, or “process” makes up for fumbling the game away.

Bad coaching, players aren’t executing, and we can’t build our offense or defense with underwhelming line play, time management issues, and not getting the ball from a 30 million dollar QB not getting the ball to Diggs or a line not capable of digging in and getting 10 yards on the ground with some old-fashion tough running.

Ceiling has been reached..new voices

A weaker AFC, Derrick Henry going down, the Chiefs inconsistencies and Ravens, and the inability to beat playoff caliber teams, execute at key times, and the lack of consistency on the lines means this is McDermott’s ceiling.

Time for Bills to make big changes!

Can we put this to rest?  McDermott has a deal until 2025.  There is 0.0 chance he’s getting fired.  Why even complain about it.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

This

I mean you can complain all you want, but it’s never going to happen.  Hate it or love it, McDermott is going to the teams HC over the next few years at least.  

Also after what happened with the Sabres do you really want Terry and Kim to hire another coach/GM

Just now, JohnNord said:

I mean you can complain all you want, but it’s never going to happen.  Hate it or love it, McDermott is going to the teams HC over the next few years at least.  

Also after what happened with the Sabres do you really want Terry and Kim to hire another coach/GM

I think Adams and Granato are going to be the right guys.  But as for McD the biggest thing he needs to do is decide if Daboll is the right guy going forward.

15 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think Adams and Granato are going to be the right guys.  But as for McD the biggest thing he needs to do is decide if Daboll is the right guy going forward.

Two weeks ago I would say there was no chance at that happened but man he was pissed at the offense.  

But I also think there’s a lot of issue with players not playing well.  Not so sure that’s Daboll but we’ll have a clear picture soon

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Two weeks ago I would say there was no chance at that happened but man he was pissed at the offense.  

But I also think there’s a lot of issue with players not playing well.  Not so sure that’s Daboll but we’ll have a clear picture soon

I would bring Williams up and give him a shot at RB.  He runs hard and hits the hole quicker than Singletary or Moss.  

Other than that, we simply do not have an offense that is set up to run.  You can’t fix everything in one offseason but this coming one they need to get some hogs for the interior of the O line and a RB like the Stephenson kid the Pats have.  

Yeah lets fire the coach at 7-5 and revert to being the laughing stock of the league like this team was before this regime.

I have a way better idea....break ground on the new domed stadium tomorrow.

This team is built to play in ideal conditions and put up lots of points like the greatest show on turf.

The crappy weather for pretty well every home game limits the skill guys and helps the defenders. 

27 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He was pissed at the offense. I don't think it is a slam dunk that Daboll is back but McDermott should first turn his ire on the man who has put the talent around Josh Allen that drops key balls, blows key blocks, commits stupid false start penalties and puts the ball on the ground an unacceptable amount. The talent around Josh (or lack thereof) is the main reason the offense feels so Josh Allen centric.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mattymafia said:

He is. He is a defensive coach and the the defense let up one big run. Other than that they showed up. Every loss this season other than the Titans game is more on the offense not performing than the defense not performing. Steelers game was lost because the offense, Jaguars game because of the offense, This game was because of the offense. Mcdermott had his issues tonight with burning two time outs on stupid stuff but Daboll really screwed this game up. 

He is the head coach and it all falls on him. That's his staff under performing. That's his rotating defensive line getting pushed around and eat a big chunk of the salary cap. That's his team unprepared and undisciplined. That's how being the boss works, he isn't a coordinator anymore. Also, did you forget the Colts?

• Disagree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.