Gameday Bills vs Pats* Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

Just now, london_bills said:

I thought he played a good game but isn't as clutch as he was when he got 4th quarter josh reputation. There were drops also. He needs upgrades at RB, OL. 

Just not sure what your looking for…

Clutch.. gotta have help on the other end and you have already mentioned no oline or running back.. Wr drops .. that’s practically the whole offense. 
 So unless he’s doing it all on his own I don’t know how much more to ask of him given the conditions 

We had plenty of drops to win that game. 

Just now, Comebackkid said:

the weather took mac out of the equation and the D still came up short.   

14 points, though. That's all you can ask from a D. No, I think this one is on the offense, although they really didn't do badly, either, all things considered. The Breida fumble and Knox drops were the difference, along with the Bass miss. That's the game right there. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I'm not puzzled bout the offensive plays. The guy is doing what he is being paid to do...by both teams...

On some other notes. 

But, but, but, it's a passing league...no need to run and stop the run right?

This game was my worst nightmare as now I can't watch football shows all week as ole smiley and his wunderkin QB will be all they talk about.

This game reminds me of when Dick Jauron was the head coach in 2009. In a week 17 bad windstorm in Buffalo as the Bills lost that game with Pats QB Matt Cassel 6 of 8 for 78 yards. But the pats rushed 47 times for 168 yards and a TD to win 0-13!! 

Now you would think at some point that one of these GD Bills HD's would take a look at the past history of the weather in that stadium and realize you NEED A FREAKING RUN GAME!

Along with a defense that can stop the run. 

Not at you OP, just venting...

Brace for steady dose of NE and Belichick being awesome and penciled in for the Super Bowl

4 minutes ago, finn said:

Yeah, my admiration for Bass took a nose dive after this miss and the one in the Colts game. He's just another kicker at this point. 

I'm having trouble blaming Bass considering the ridiculous weather. We all saw that Bailey punt drop out of the sky. If your coach asks you to kick an 80 yd field goal for example, is it your fault really when you inevitably fail?

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, finn said:

14 points, though. That's all you can ask from a D. No, I think this one is on the offense, although they really didn't do badly, either, all things considered. The Breida fumble and Knox drops were the difference, along with the Bass miss. That's the game right there. 

I give Bass a pass.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

Snow game vs. 35+ MPH winds are totally different. Bass should not feel bad tonight

I get that. It's not so much that he's not a good kicker, more that he's not a great kicker. Great kickers make these kicks. That's my point. I thought we might have one of the real rare ones. 

3 minutes ago, finn said:

What changes do you want to see? 

For one: on offense, you have to commit to establishing a run game. Personnel is a problem, particularly with no active FB today. It's a cliche but teams that commit to the run sooner or later will develop at least a useful running game. Tonight was weird since everyone knew both teams would be run first (even more weird in that it didn't help our defense), but with the passing game back in play, there's no reason we can't effectively run the ball.

3 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Just not sure what your looking for…

Clutch.. gotta have help on the other end and you have already mentioned no oline or running back.. Wr drops .. that’s practically the whole offense. 
 So unless he’s doing it all on his own I don’t know how much more to ask of him given the conditions 

We had plenty of drops to win that game. 

Allen's still their best player and everything you said is true but he still isn't bringing us back to win games this season. I'm sure he was doing this more before with the same personnel. 

Edited by london_bills

23 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It really doesn’t…we had excellent field position most of the night. A ‘wind game’ where our qb was getting the ball where it needed to go and people couldn’t catch it…where Matt Breida fumbles in insanely good field position throwing away easy points. Defense tightened the screws when they had to and the pats were essentially running themselves out of the game… they certainly aren’t blameless but I guarantee bill mixes up their offensive playcalling if we did absolutely anything on offense. He essentially got to run the clock out starting in the first quarter…he likely knew it wouldn’t lead to points but he trusted his defense

I agree with this.  And if Bill starts mixing things up it might have led to disaster given how poorly Jones only two passes looked.

And the Matt Breida fumble would get a high school kid benched.  It was on FIRST DOWN at the Pats 29 yard line.

My point is that we're not doing what KC is doing with their struggling offense.  The Chiefs D has stepped up and they're winning low scoring games because the D is covering for their offense.  In two big games against power team's our D has let the opponent run all over us.  We lost a lot of field position and a couple of possessions tonight after the first quarter because our defense struggled to stop the run. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 points, though. That's all you can ask from a D.

If you'd told me that an NFL team would throw 3 passes for a total of 19 yards, I'd have told you no way they'll score more than 3 (barring a Pick 6, kick return, etc.). So, no, holding them to 14 while allowing them to run all over you is not "all you can ask for."

yeah i just came to that conclusion a few minutes ago myself, im just saying that I think it was a big plus for the D not having to have the threat of the pass as well.   

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Basically that the Bills knew the Patriots game plan and couldn’t stop it. Also that playmakers let Josh Allen down 

Reminds me of the fourth Super Bowl, when Dallas ran Emmitt Smith on every play and the Bills could do nothing to stop them. 

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yes that was a big problem.  But we don't have the weapons you think we do.  With Knox dropping the ball tonight we didn't have a TE.  The Bills RB's are awful - enough said.  Diggs is elite but Davis & Beasley are average.  The O line is below average.  Now that opponents have learned how to defense Allen in the red zone, particularly his running, we are not built to score from in close.  We are poor at just about everything involved in red zone scoring beyond Allen & Diggs.

OK, so remind me again how this loss was on the defense.

What exactly did the offense do to help contribute to a win? Allen played his ass off. Did anyone else even remotely come up big? There were plays to be made and they didn’t make them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, finn said:

Reminds me of the fourth Super Bowl, when Dallas ran Emmitt Smith on every play and the Bills could do nothing to stop them. 

That was Emmitt Smith.   This was Damien Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.