Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

54 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Damn, got none of them, and Putins army is still in ruins. Nice job, Joe! 

I'm confused.  If Putin's army is in ruins then why the need for Zelensky to come begging for more funds than the $45B on the table along with other more advanced weapons systems?  As you consistently describe the situation, the Ukrainian armed forces are clearly winning the war.  

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I'm confused.  If Putin's army is in ruins then why the need for Zelensky to come begging for more funds than the $45B on the table along with other more advanced weapons systems?  As you consistently describe the situation, the Ukrainian armed forces are clearly winning the war.  

You'd like to cut them off, wouldn't you? 

2 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Currently winning the war does not mean they have already won the war.

Ukraine is winning right now, but they cannot win it with the weapons they have on hand. The nature of war is that ammunition gets used and weapons systems break or are destroyed.

Russia has more troops and (probably?) still more arms than Ukraine, but Ukraine has the quality and home turf advantages. If the supply of advanced weapons and ammo does not continue to meet their needs, Russia will be able to turn the course of the war in their favor.

Spending about 6% of the defense budget and less than 1% of the overall budget to destroy the Russian war machine without risking US soldiers, support democracy, drive a wedge between China and Russia, make China think twice about invading Taiwan, and strengthen alliances seems like the deal of a century to me.

If we're concerned about the cost, maybe we can cut back on some corporate welfare to defray the costs.

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Currently winning the war does not mean they have already won the war.

Ukraine is winning right now, but they cannot win it with the weapons they have on hand. The nature of war is that ammunition gets used and weapons systems break or are destroyed.

Russia has more troops and (probably?) still more arms than Ukraine, but Ukraine has the quality and home turf advantages. If the supply of advanced weapons and ammo does not continue to meet their needs, Russia will be able to turn the course of the war in their favor.

Spending about 6% of the defense budget and less than 1% of the overall budget to destroy the Russian war machine without risking US soldiers, support democracy, drive a wedge between China and Russia, make China think twice about invading Taiwan, and strengthen alliances seems like the deal of a century to me.

If we're concerned about the cost, maybe we can cut back on some corporate welfare to defray the costs.

6% for this round maybe.

We are sending them money like this practically monthly. And these 6%'s actually add up, did you know that? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TSOL said:

6% for this round maybe.

We are sending them money like this practically monthly. And these 6%'s actually add up, did you know that? 

The current total amount given since the start of the war is less than 6% of the annual budget. It’s not 6% every time, the number is annualized. 

Did you know that?

13 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

The current total amount given since the start of the war is less than 6% of the annual budget. It’s not 6% every time, the number is annualized. 

Did you know that?

It's been more than 6% 

68 billion we have sent them, defense budget is roughly 800 billion. 

What's that? Like 9%? 

You're downplaying the money like it's no big deal. And your fact was inaccurate so I just wanted to point that out. 

• Like (+1) 1

The strength and courage of Zelinsky and the Ukrainian people is pretty amazing in the face of daily bombings from Putin. These people have amazing fighting spirit for their freedom. At times I wonder how America would fare if we were in their position. Hopefully we can continue to support their defense.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I keep wondering who is going to operate those Patriot missiles. They are very complicated and require a support staff.  

I'm not so sure the Ukrainian Army can figure how to use them with Google translate.

They are going to be operated by Ukrainian forces, trained by the US in a third country.

While Patriot offers a significant upgrade to existing air defense capability, I really wonder about the efficacy of this.

First, Patriot is a relatively short range system, a point defense weapon.

Second there are not many of them being deployed.

Thus, the question is where to put them? Probably to defend against very specific high value targets.

Third, what happens if the battery is attacked by scores of drones?

Patriot costs about $3 million per missile. The drones Russia is reportedly using cost about $50,000. twenty times less.

The obvious strategy would be to saturate the Patriot batteries with drones and either waste the missiles or defeat the drones by other means.

On a related note, our NATO allies, noteworthy the Germans, are failing miserably to provide what was promised.

They promised Puma tanks, and every single one has failed, so they aren't being sent.

Just a mess. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I keep wondering who is going to operate those Patriot missiles. They are very complicated and require a support staff.  

I'm not so sure the Ukrainian Army can figure how to use them with Google translate.

My guess is they have been training on them for months 

• Like (+1) 1

More weapons in Ukraine is more suffering for the people in that area.

We have active boots training the Ukes.

but both the Russians and Ukrainians front lines are full of mercs.  Russia is using Wagner.  Ukraine has several and volunteers from the west.

How much did Ukraine lose in the bankman fiasco?  how much of it was our gifts..

51 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

More weapons in Ukraine is more suffering for the people in that area.

We have active boots training the Ukes.

but both the Russians and Ukrainians front lines are full of mercs.  Russia is using Wagner.  Ukraine has several and volunteers from the west.

How much did Ukraine lose in the bankman fiasco?  how much of it was our gifts..

I'm glad the vast majority of people that think about this topic know that opinions like this ^ are just trash 

A people fighting for their freedom is inspiring to most. 

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I'm glad the vast majority of people that think about this topic know that opinions like this ^ are just trash 

A people fighting for their freedom is inspiring to most. 

We have drug addicts, mentally ill and homeless people here fighting for their lives. Maybe help them first?  🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 2