Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

Good news.

PUTIN’S WAR: In Major Advance, Ukraine Drives Russians Out of Key Eastern City.

Ukrainian forces seized most of a strategically vital city in northeastern Ukraine on Saturday, cutting the main supply line to thousands of Russian troops near the eastern city of Izyum and marking the biggest strategic gain Ukraine has made since the start of an offensive this week.

Photos from Russian and Ukrainian channels on Telegram showed Ukrainian soldiers holding the country’s flag in front of the city hall in Kupyansk, and Kremlin-loyal Russian military correspondents said Moscow’s forces had pulled back across the Oskil River to the eastern part of the city.

The Kupyansk rail and road hub located in the western half of the city was the last artery connecting Russia with thousands of troops on territory that represented the bulk of Russia’s gains in May and June. Ukraine’s control of the road network also threatens Russia’s hold on Izyum, a city Moscow had planned to use to launch further attacks on Ukrainian-controlled parts of the Donetsk region in the country’s east.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-major-advance-ukraine-drives-russians-out-of-key-eastern-city-11662807160

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Normally I'd dismiss it as crazy talk. But there's reports coming out from both Russian and Ukrainian sources that Izyum fell to Ukraine. Along with the supply depots full of artillery and small arms ammunition, dozens of tanks and armored fighting vehicles and thousands of POWs.

If this pans out too, the Russian army in the north is in a full fledged rout. I say the north because the Russian army in the south is still fighting hard and maintaining its discipline.  But holy *****.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Seeing those A-10's flying there makes all this make more sense. Taken together with the use of Harm Missiles https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-touts-role-us-harm-missiles-strikes-russian-defenses-1741715 to suppress AA defenses, those A-10's are just a terror carrying possibly 10 maverick missiles and of course that Gatling Gun. If they are unopposed over a battlefield, well good bye whatever its after. 

18 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Seeing those A-10's flying there makes all this make more sense. Taken together with the use of Harm Missiles https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-touts-role-us-harm-missiles-strikes-russian-defenses-1741715 to suppress AA defenses, those A-10's are just a terror carrying possibly 10 maverick missiles and of course that Gatling Gun. If they are unopposed over a battlefield, well good bye whatever its after. 

I'm not sure the use of HARM can be associated with the A-10.

Unless it has been significantly modified, the A-10 does not carry HARM.

HARM has been used, in a greatly diminished capability, by Ukrainian MIG 29's.

To fully use it's capabilities, HARM requires rather advanced internal avionics. 

It can be fired, as I said, with greatly diminished capability in a really basic mode.

35 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'm not sure the use of HARM can be associated with the A-10.

Unless it has been significantly modified, the A-10 does not carry HARM.

HARM has been used, in a greatly diminished capability, by Ukrainian MIG 29's.

To fully use it's capabilities, HARM requires rather advanced internal avionics. 

It can be fired, as I said, with greatly diminished capability in a really basic mode.

I didn't mean to imply the A-10 was using them, but just that the HARM was being used to shape the battlefield to allow the A-10 more protection to roam freely 

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I didn't mean to imply the A-10 was using them, but just that the HARM was being used to shape the battlefield to allow the A-10 more protection to roam freely 

The A-10 is an extremely vulnerable platform with any basic anti air defense.

It almost demands total elimination of even simple shoulder mounted capability.

HARM is a great system, but being used in a greatly diminished capability is certainly not a game changer for the A-10.

The A-10 is a magnet for very simple anti air capability.

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

HARM is a great system, but being used in a greatly diminished capability is certainly not a game changer for the A-10.

Josh Allen once took one out with a football.  #facts

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

Agree totally about the A-10 and its vulnernabilities. It's built around a big mean gun, but to use that gun it has to go down to where the targets are, so its liable to be hit by all sorts of things, as you point out. I'm not sure air craft should be used against tanks, anyway. Planes are more valuable and tanks can be killed in other ways. 

But I think this situation in Ukraine now might be ideal for the A-10 , if it even there and being used, I only saw that video which may or may not mean anything. 

The ten maverick missiles I mentioned is a serious payload and that is what I was thinking about. Those missiles can be fired far from any AA guns or hand held SAMs and they can then be guided directly to target with a second observer on ground or via drone. 

If the HARMs have suppressed the big SAMs--or just made them too afraid to turn on their radar--the A-10's would just be blasting holes in the Russians strong points. 

26 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Everyone that cares about freedom, free government and democracy. Thank goodness Biden was president when this happened 

Yes, thank goodness.  Not only is this war a direct reflection of his weakness, we get to compound it by spending US taxpayer dollars to a nation that he, and his son..... and brother, were in bed with.  And in the coming months, all of Europe will be saddled with higher energy costs as the ruble gains on the dollar.  A real win-win situation for everybody.

• Like (+1) 2