Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

Nicaragua approves Russian troop access to country, defies US objection
Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega voiced his support for Putin's war in Ukraine

Nicaragua approved Russian forces to train within its borders and conduct military drills with the Nicaraguan army just after the U.S. imposed fresh sanctions on officials from the Central American nation. 

https://www.foxnews.com/world/nicaragua-russian-troop-access

Russian official calls Lithuanian actions "hostile" and warns of consequences

A top Russian official has described Lithuania’s announcement to ban the transit of European Union-sanctioned materials to Russia through Kaliningrad -- Russia’s enclave in the EU -- as “hostile” and promised retaliation.

As reported by the Ria Novosti state-owned news agency, Nikolai Patrushev, secretary of the Security Council of the Russian Federation, said: “Russia will certainly respond to such hostile actions. Measures are being worked out in an interdepartmental format and will be taken in the near future."

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-06-21-22/h_d727ba312796a0673a23c43663b5ef1a

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

Russian official calls Lithuanian actions "hostile" and warns of consequences

A top Russian official has described Lithuania’s announcement to ban the transit of European Union-sanctioned materials to Russia through Kaliningrad -- Russia’s enclave in the EU -- as “hostile” and promised retaliation.

As reported by the Ria Novosti state-owned news agency, Nikolai Patrushev, secretary of the Security Council of the Russian Federation, said: “Russia will certainly respond to such hostile actions. Measures are being worked out in an interdepartmental format and will be taken in the near future."

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-06-21-22/h_d727ba312796a0673a23c43663b5ef1a

They are a NATO country 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

These things are like giant auto cannons, only not nearly as high rate of fire, but still great for delivering multiple rounds quickly. Very good weapons system 

Yeah, I remember when the Crusader was designed, basically our version of this. Rumsfeld canceled it because we were never going to fight conventional wars again.  Also so he could funnel more billions into Future Combat Systems, which produced... basically none of the revolutionary weapons systems it was supposed to.  It sure would be nice to have a couple thousand Crusaders sitting around right now. 

So here we are, 20 years in the future, needing the ***** we said 20 years ago we'd never need. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Isn't that the party that is collaborating with Russia? If so, I get why they would ban them. But I do think that Ukraine is pretty problematic from a corruption standpoint. 

Make that 11 political parties that have been banned.  In May, Zelensky signed into law a bill that allows the government to ban and seize the assets of any party that opposes the government's policies pertaining to the war.  In other words, all public debate about the course of the war and the execution of the war is forbidden.  So Ukrainian citizens questioning the merits and purpose of their governments war policies and efforts simply by expressing their "democratic" right of expression are targeted and labeled as Russian assets and following Putin's talking points.  I'm wondering where they picked up that routine?  It has a familiar ring, but I just can't put my finger on it!

26 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Make that 11 political parties that have been banned.  In May, Zelensky signed into law a bill that allows the government to ban and seize the assets of any party that opposes the government's policies pertaining to the war.  In other words, all public debate about the course of the war and the execution of the war is forbidden.  So Ukrainian citizens questioning the merits and purpose of their governments war policies and efforts simply by expressing their "democratic" right of expression are targeted and labeled as Russian assets and following Putin's talking points.  I'm wondering where they picked up that routine?  It has a familiar ring, but I just can't put my finger on it!

Imagine we got invaded by China, and sleepy Joe, AOC and Pelosi said we should accept our new communist overlords.  Wouldn't you want them banned?

20 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Imagine we got invaded by China, and sleepy Joe, AOC and Pelosi said we should accept our new communist overlords.  Wouldn't you want them banned?

I don't think that hypothetical is remotely comparable to what's happening in Ukraine.  The Ukraine opposition party members are questioning the government's war policy.  They are not siding or advocating for the enemy. They're questioning the government for engaging in the conflict and sacrificing Ukrainian lives under what they say is a war controlled and directed by American interests.  The last part I completely agree with, Washington pulls the strings and Zelensky dances. 

13 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I don't think that hypothetical is remotely comparable to what's happening in Ukraine.  The Ukraine opposition party members are questioning the government's war policy.  They are not siding or advocating for the enemy. They're questioning the government for engaging in the conflict and sacrificing Ukrainian lives under what they say is a war controlled and directed by American interests.  The last part I completely agree with, Washington pulls the strings and Zelensky dances. 

You don't have much ability to avoid engaging in a conflict when you are invaded by an enemy force. Listen, I agree that we are using Ukraine to fight a proxy war with Russia, and that the US press is largely acting as the propaganda arm of the administration in terms of the war effort.  But that doesn't negate the fact that Russia invaded them.

• Agree 1