Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

13 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

That's nuts.  That has to have repercussions outside of western businesses (hopefully).  Who'd want to set up shop there with the risk of that happening?

Well, all this started because Putin thinks Russians are some kind of chosen people, with a great mission.  Folks like that don't worry too much about consequences or reality in general.

Edited by Coffeesforclosers
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Also, who's Michael Tracey, and why should anybody care what he says?

This entire thread, while interesting, is filled with stuff from people who should not be regarded seriously.

• Agree 2

Keep an eye out for Popasna in the headlines.  Something's going on there, and it's not good for Ukraine.  Russia is shouting to the rooftops, which usually means ***** all.  But open source analysts like ISW are noting some sizeable Russian gains.  

Usually Ukraine is pretty good at controlling Russian advances, but this one is in a very threatening area.

WASHINGTON, May 19 (Reuters) - The White House is working to put advanced anti-ship missiles in the hands of Ukrainian fighters to help defeat Russia's naval blockade, officials said, amid concerns more powerful weapons that could sink Russian warships would intensify the conflict.

Ukraine has made no secret it wants more advanced U.S. capabilities beyond its current inventory of artillery, Javelin and Stinger missiles, and other arms. Kyiv's list, for example, includes missiles that could push the Russian navy away from its Black Sea ports, allowing the restart of shipments of grain and other agricultural products worldwide.

https://www.reuters.com/world/exclusive-us-aims-arm-ukraine-with-advanced-anti-ship-missiles-fight-russian-2022-05-19/

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Good.  Break the Russian blockade and get food flowing to the Global South again.

Popasna is heating up.  Best case for Ukraine, this is some kind of gambit so they can overextend russian supply lines, then chew up a division of Russian paratroopers.  Best case for Russia, this is the breakthrough they've been fighting for since the beginning of April.

• Like (+1) 1

I saw a video of a Russian drone being attacked with a stinger like weapon. I get they gave to shoot it down but thought there must be a cheaper way to do it. I knew they used proximity fuses in WW2 to very great effect. So I did some searching and sure enough our military industrial complex is on the ball! 

Good! 

https://www.overtdefense.com/2021/10/12/new-proximity-fuse-powers-apkws-anti-drone-capabilities/

BAE claims that the proximity fuze-equipped rockets can engage and destroy unmanned aerial systems at a fraction of the cost of current counter-UAS systems. According to the company, anti-drone engagements with APKWS also saves time, with the rockets’ semi-active laser guidance after launch bypassing the need for a target lock-on before launch with a conventional missile.

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

I saw a video of a Russian drone being attacked with a stinger like weapon. I get they gave to shoot it down but thought there must be a cheaper way to do it. I knew they used proximity fuses in WW2 to very great effect. So I did some searching and sure enough our military industrial complex is on the ball! 

The cheapest way to deal with them is to jam them.

Requires nothing kinetic, and no other weapon.

Prox fuses have been in use for decades in a wide variety of applications.

Nothing new.

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

The cheapest way to deal with them is to jam them.

Requires nothing kinetic, and no other weapon.

Prox fuses have been in use for decades in a wide variety of applications.

Nothing new.

I understand contrarians need to try and disagree over anything, but nothing new? It's literally a new weapon system 

Next time your silly contrarian impulses get too much of you, how about you go fly a kite or something? 

On 5/19/2022 at 7:21 AM, Coffeesforclosers said:

Well, all this started because Putin thinks Russians are some kind of chosen people, with a great mission.  Folks like that don't worry too much about consequences or reality in general.

Ironically eastern Europeans despise Russians and Russia.  I was in Poland when it was communist when I was young.  It is so different now its hard to articulate.   To this day I like to discuss the weirdness of that time with family that lived through it.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I understand contrarians need to try and disagree over anything, but nothing new? It's literally a new weapon system 

Next time your silly contrarian impulses get too much of you, how about you go fly a kite or something? 

Very good.

My "contrarian impulses" know a bit about air defense, drones, what they are capable of, how to employ them, and deal with them if you have a respectable air defense.

To your suggestion, I have a four year old granddaughter and we greatly enjoy flying her kite on my property.

It's a learned skill.

• Like (+1) 1