Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Oooh! Look! I CAN post here! 

That little test will be the extent of it, however. Has anybody EVER changed anyone else’s opinion here? Doubt it, so I won’t try. It’s just a sad state of affairs. 

Carry on….I’ll let myself out. 

Spot on! Bottom line, this didn’t have to happen. Now, many will suffer because of poor policy and corruption.

24 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

They all know how this plays out.  

Russia doesn't lose a thing in going in they only benefit even if not 1 mile of Ukraine becomes theirs.  

Putin claims victory at home.  Strong man strong armed the pajama boys in the West. 

Biden and his media sycophants will tell you he averted WWIII.

Right right.  

The UK and France are in a much better position to punish them than we are. 

Boris has already moved to freeze billions in Russian oligarch and bank assets, as London is their preferred play pen. 

Macron will follow suit. 

The Russian stock market lost almost 40% of it's value today. The majority of the Russian people are not happy with this war. 

Boris can squeeze where it hurts more than anyone else right now, and both parties are united in standing up to him. 

Just now, ALF said:

Why did Russia invade Ukraine , simple question. 

Vlad and the Oligarchs believe Ukraine is part of “Mother Russia”. Ukraine provides a land route for oil and natural gas to Eastern Europe. Ukraine has a lot of natural resources. Ukraine can be used as a staging ground to retake the rest of the former USSR. Ukraine has a sea port that can place the Russian Navy with a direct shot to northern and Western Europe.

4 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Ukraine can be used as a staging ground to retake the rest of the former USSR.

That is simply never going to happen.

Russia has nowhere near the economic, military or domestic political strength to undo 30 years of change.

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

That is simply never going to happen.

Russia has nowhere near the economic, military or domestic political strength to undo 30 years of change.

I didn’t say it will happen, but that is why and what he he is thinking. Putin has always been enamored by forming the old USSR block. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

Oooh! Look! I CAN post here! 

That little test will be the extent of it, however. Has anybody EVER changed anyone else’s opinion here? Doubt it, so I won’t try. It’s just a sad state of affairs. 

Carry on….I’ll let myself out. 

You're the sort of person PPP needs.

Like the wisest person ever to post in PPP said, if you see the Ukraine war as a Red America vs  Blue America problem, Putin is winning.  So start changing things, know what you believe but let others have their say.  We will never keep our country if we think every else must agree with everything we think all the time.

In other news, Ukraine has either contained or beaten back a Russian attempt to seize Antonov Airport, which is about 15 miles from the capital.

Apparently there's a Ukrainian MiG29 pilot called "The Ghost of Kyiv" who notched his 6th kill today.

The Ukrainian government handed out 10,000 ARs this afternoon to the population of the capital, and expects the next round of Russian attacks to start 3AM local time.

Edited by Coffeesforclosers
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s not what you asked. You implied Ukraine may he provoked it. There’s a difference.

Ukraine did nothing to provoke Russia. You are reading too much into my question. NATO would rather have Ukraine to stay neutral so as not to put Russia on a hair trigger .  jmo

Just now, ALF said:

Ukraine did nothing to provoke Russia. You are reading too much into my question. NATO would rather have Ukraine to stay neutral so as not to put Russia on a hair trigger .  jmo

Ugh! You asked what they did to DESERVE it. Isn’t that pretty much the same thing? Are we really going to do this back and forth thing? Really?

24 minutes ago, ALF said:

Why did Russia invade Ukraine , simple question. 

There’s the history thing going back to Peter the Great and Russian expansion, but Ukraine is/was a successful democracy that was getting stronger in many ways and his fake elections were looking worse and worse as Ukraine’s elections and prosperity looked better and better to Russian citizens. So that was a threat to his corrupt rule. Kind of get the feeling Putin likes war, too 

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

There are any number of reasons that this may be happening.

It could just be a head fake designed to bring diplomatic pressure to bear on Kyiv and remove some pressure from Moscow.

It could indicate that the oligarchs are nervous about potential sanctions and want this adventure wound down.

It is also possible that the Russians have simply overextended themselves and are facing a protracted conflict if Ukraine holds fast.

What has struck me about this entire operation is the level of operational sophistication that the Russians are trying to showcase. The Russians are attacking over three widely separated axes of advance. Nothing we’ve seen of the Russian Army in the past thirty years would indicate that the Russian Army can sustain the logistics necessary for this ambitious plan.

https://redstate.com/streiff/2022/02/24/report-russia-offers-terms-of-surrender-to-ukraine-n527216

I hope it all blows up in their face of course. I don't think a single government anywhere took this offer seriously. Meanwhile, Ukraine has declared Martial Law, instituted compulsory service, and forbidden all men aged 18-60 from traveling abroad.  

Granted they should have done this months ago.

I've also heard that Zelensky didn't think Russia was seriously going to invade until about 4 days ago. Anybody else have a good source on that?

• Like (+1) 1

It has been known for years that Ukraine was on Putins radar. Trump had a friendship with him, we all saw it, trump did not confront seriously or challenge Putin, in fact praised him has he did yesterday.

There were 2 people capable in this world of controlling this ego maniac.

China's leader and the US President. 

Biden is not known for his strength, but Trump had his chance and smiled and glad handed his way through 4 years.

That is not to say he would not be powerful today, but he floated through 4 years with Putin. IMHO

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

An advisor to the Ukrainian president, after initially declaring that Ukraine had repelled the Russians prematurely, announced on Facebook that "Hostomel Airport is ours" and that the "Russian paratroopers have been destroyed." The exact status of the airfield has not been independently confirmed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-russia-fight-over-airfield-outside-kyiv-2022-2%3famp

Question to the war hawks 

When China moves on Taiwan, would you rather have Russia on our side - or would you rather completely sever any potential relationship with them over Ukraine.

I know what future I'd prefer and it's the one where Xi and his fascist thugs aren't island hopping their way across the pacific. 

But maybe I should be like most and see only 5 minutes in front of my face

China is the biggest threat on the planet.  It is the enemy to every freedom you've mocked for 2 years.  

Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk 

• Agree 1