Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I don’t think they call it murder during a war….but I’ll join you in your hopeful optimism.  You don’t happen to sell weapons for a living do you? 

No, its murder in this case. No reason to invade. Why you excusing Putin?? 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Nobody’s excuses anyone, nor have they been for countless pages….and yes you’re being an ass if you keep saying that they are. 

A guy launches a war of aggression and that's not murder? Different values, I guess 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Defensive war, a just war, a war of liberation, a war of freedom...

I guess that’s all from the perspective of the guy holding the rifle. In your version of the world it appears that borders can never move. They’re set exactly where they are. But we know from even recent history that borders are moving all the time…and generally after an armed conflict. 

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Defensive war, a just war, a war of liberation, a war of freedom...

So what would you consider the number of civilians killed in Dresden?  Just? Liberation? Freedom?  

I guess only a liberal would look at liberation and freedom as two different thinks as they seem to understand neither. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So what would you consider the number of civilians killed in Dresden?  Just? Liberation? Freedom?  

I guess only a liberal would look at liberation and freedom as two different thinks as they seem to understand neither. 

These border squabbles have been going on since man first drew up borders. It’s what humans do!

• Dislike 1

10 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Don't think they will have to. We can destroy the Russian army without any boots on the ground

This is an extremely naive and willfully ignorant statement.

We dropped 7,000,000 tons of bombs on Viet Nam. 3 1/2 times the number of bombs we dropped in WW 2 and came nowhere close to winning anything.  We were fighting the Viet Kong  backed by, you guessed it, Russia.  When we started dropping bombs they climbed down in their tunnels and smoked their dope.  When it was over, they came back out and carried on.  We couldn't even beat Iraq's army with Shock and Awe alone.  And they didn't even have airplanes or a Navy.

The final figures of bombs dropped on Vietnam compared to WW2. In WW2 there were about 2 million tons of bombs dropped. In Vietnam there were about 7 million tons dropped. 

https://www.history.com/topics/vietnam-war/vietnam-war-history

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Did Trump side with Putin when he said "This is genius.... How smart is that?... Here’s a guy who’s very savvy... You gotta say that’s pretty savvy"?

On yesterday's Clay Travis & Buck Sexton Show — audio and transcript, here — here's the part where Trump credits Putin with genius (which his antagonists predictably take to mean that he's siding with Putin!):

I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, “This is genius.” Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine — of Ukraine. Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful. So, Putin is now saying, “It’s independent,” a large section of Ukraine. I said, “How smart is that?” And he’s gonna go in and be a peacekeeper. That’s strongest peace force… They’re gonna keep peace all right.

That's criticizing Putin, but you've got to understand that it's sarcasm when he says, "They’re gonna keep peace all right."

It's not siding with the enemy to say the enemy is very smart. And it's so obvious that Trump's enemies would fault him for recognizing Putin's brilliance that I'm tempted to credit Trump with intending to trigger that faultfinding. 

Click for more »https://althouse.blogspot.com/2022/02/did-trump-side-with-putin-when-he-said.html

Posted by Ann Althouse 

WOW is all I can say....imagine if McCarthy was still alive.

Thus is not sarcasm

This is defending the indefensible, but exactly what I would expect.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Left got exactly what they wanted. Uncle Joe is in control now. I’m going to sit back and see what he does. But…this nonsense where you blame your predecessor is just ridiculous! Get to work Joe…..we’re all watching. 

Your comment on trump's statement would be interesting...Unvle Joe is in deep for sure

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Thus is not sarcasm

So we can put you down as a ‘no’ then? 

4 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Your comment on trump's statement would be interesting...Unvle Joe is in deep for sure

Trump made a lot of statements over the four years he was in office and yet somehow he never ended up in a war with anyone. If there’s one thing we know for sure is that he’s not a fan of war. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

This is an extremely naive and willfully ignorant statement.

We dropped 7,000,000 tons of bombs on Viet Nam. 3 1/2 times the number of bombs we dropped in WW 2 and came nowhere close to winning anything.  We were fighting the Viet Kong  backed by, you guessed it, Russia.  When we started dropping bombs they climbed down in their tunnels and smoked their dope.  When it was over, they came back out and carried on.  We couldn't even beat Iraq's army with Shock and Awe alone.  And they didn't even have airplanes or a Navy.

https://www.history.com/topics/vietnam-war/vietnam-war-history

Nice post!!! Yes, so true. But this is a very different situation. You might be right, I might be overly optimistic, ya. But not for the this reason above. Russia is attacking with tanks and other equipment. They will have the air superiority, probably ;) It's sort of like the Brits trying to conquer the Yanks in the 1770's. The Russians are more like the Americans in Nam here and the Ukranians are more fit for role of Vietcong and NVA. Make sense? 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Thus is not sarcasm

All I know is nothing but peace and prosperity under Trump.  

Then the flu.  

And the nazis took over.

Now I pay $3.50 for gas.  

The rent is to dam high.  

And Putin is about to take Ukraine.  

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Then the flu.  

And the nazis took over.

Now I pay $3.50 for gas.  

The rent is to dam high.  

$3.50?  Good god it's $4.30 here!  Gas gets more expensive the closer to California I guess.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I don’t think they call it murder during a war….but I’ll join you in your hopeful optimism.  You don’t happen to sell weapons for a living do you? 

My friend keeps telling me, buy Raytheon, buy Raytheon.  What do I buy instead? Crypto.  More the fool I.

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Then the flu.  

And the nazis took over.

Now I pay $3.50 for gas.  

The rent is to dam high.  

***** man, if that's the way you feel.