Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

What should the US response be? 

Russia has more than 92,000 troops amassed around Ukraine’s borders and is preparing for an attack by the end of January or beginning of February, the head of Ukraine’s defense intelligence agency told Military Times.

Such an attack would likely involve airstrikes, artillery and armor attacks followed by airborne assaults in the east, amphibious assaults in Odessa and Mariupul and a smaller incursion through neighboring Belarus, Ukraine Brig. Gen. Kyrylo Budanovtold Military Times Saturday morning in an exclusive interview.

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashpoints/2021/11/20/russia-preparing-to-attack-ukraine-by-late-january-ukraine-defense-intelligence-agency-chief/

Edited by Tiberius

25 minutes ago, Precision said:

This is a great opportunity for our NATO partners to step up.  Germany (still spending less than 1.5% of GDP on defense) should be leading the effort.

LOL, you want the weakest to lead? Sounds like a pro-commie Putin argument 

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Hard to say what I think we should do...All I know is I hate getting involved in other people’s battles...

It is our battle, democratic nation's have a shared interest in preserving freedom. Those against democracy understand you can kill popular government one country at a time. 

53 minutes ago, Doc said:

It should be the world's response.  Same with China and Taiwan.

With United States leadership. 

On China, too https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/17/us-and-canadian-warships-sailed-through-taiwan-strait-last-week-.html

• Haha (+1) 1

Other than Sevastopol in Crimea Russia has no strategic interest in Ukraine other than discouraging NATO from expanding and housing troops in the country.  It's all posturing right now.  On both sides.  NATO is trying to pretend it is still relevant and Russia is bluffing a build-up to assess the West's response strategy in the event something "hot" starts.

Can anyone clearly articulate the US security interest here?  Absent any patronizing talk about supporting democracy.  Can you find Ukraine on a map without the country names shown?  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Funny thought.  Since when does the Biden administration care about national borders?  But maybe if we change the name of Mexico to Ukraine our government will care about our border too?  Or conversely, the Russians should disguise their troops as Central American migrant caravans, coyotes, and drug cartel members led by groups of children crossing into Ukraine and the Biden government's diplomatic corps will be welcoming them to Kiev with open arms.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I wouldn’t want to send our kids off to die for these inept politicians.

Maybe we can force Putin to listen to many hours of Biden’s delusional ranting and fake stories about trains and driving big rigs… 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Tiberius said:

LOL, you want the weakest to lead? Sounds like a pro-commie Putin argument 

It is our battle, democratic nation's have a shared interest in preserving freedom. Those against democracy understand you can kill popular government one country at a time. 

With United States leadership. 

On China, too https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/17/us-and-canadian-warships-sailed-through-taiwan-strait-last-week-.html

Even with their low spending, by most accounts Germany's military is ranked anywhere from 4th to 14th in the world compared to Russia (widely ranked 2nd).  Far from weak or the weakest.

Germany has the 4th largest GDP in the world, more than twice the size of Russia's at 11th.  

Germany and Russia have extensive economic ties as Germany is Russia's second largest trading partner.

Ukraine is less than 1000 miles from Germany.

Nowhere in my post did I say Germany should "go it alone".  Of all the NATO countries, Germany has most interest in this conflict being settled peacefully.  Economically they can bring the most pressure to bear against Russia and will likely be the destination of refugees from the potential conflict.

Rather than just criticize, tell me what country do you think should take the lead in averting a Russia/Ukraine conflict?  

Good thing we just handed over the pipeline without any assurances Russia would stay away from Ukraine. Man that foreign policy just working wonders.  And who gave the weapons Ukraine weapons that kept Russia at bay? Oh it was trump that’s right.  

russia is likely just trying to swing their Dick and nothing is likely to happen. They’re like some bully throwing rocks and when you stand up they run. 

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Good thing we just handed over the pipeline without any assurances Russia would stay away from Ukraine. Man that foreign policy just working wonders.  And who gave the weapons Ukraine weapons that kept Russia at bay? Oh it was trump that’s right.  

russia is likely just trying to swing their Dick and nothing is likely to happen. They’re like some bully throwing rocks and when you stand up they run. 

I disagree on one point here- if Biden shows real weakness with Putin, which I think is probable,  then Putin is taking the Ukraine and there is nothing anyone but Biden can do about it. 

21 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Other than Sevastopol in Crimea Russia has no strategic interest in Ukraine other than discouraging NATO from expanding and housing troops in the country.  It's all posturing right now.  On both sides.  NATO is trying to pretend it is still relevant and Russia is bluffing a build-up to assess the West's response strategy in the event something "hot" starts.

Can anyone clearly articulate the US security interest here?  Absent any patronizing talk about supporting democracy.  Can you find Ukraine on a map without the country names shown?  

Democracy is a strategic interest. At least to many of us. 

I get that with the demographic changes going on many Conservatives are troubled by democracy but its the best way to go by far 

These are all stupid little squabbles over stupid little countries stirred up by stupid little ‘leaders’ who seem desperate to send young men off to die. There’s been no significant border changes in the last century and yet here we are with countless graves piled up and countless treasures wasted. My two cents.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1