No huddle offense: considerations

Italian Bills

I began watching football in late 80ies, i remember when the Bills were feared for the no huddle offense. I’m wondering if this could be a way to give us a more dangerous offense.

Personally i would love to use it very much more, to speed up the rhythm could affect defenses sets and, avoid the pressure on Allen and give us a different option on offense. What you think ? And again, we have the right men to use the no huddle offense ? 

Edited by Italian Bills
  • Like (+1) 3

They've run it before but I'd like to see them run it with more frequency.  Josh, like most qb's, are better when they get into a rhythm.  The no huddle can provide that and it's more difficult for defenses to change personnel and adjust on the fly.  On the flip side, a quick three and out in a no huddle isn't ideal against a team like the Patriots who can wear a defense out with those long and methodical drives.  You've got to pick your spots to run it but I agree that it could be something this offense does more.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They've run it before but I'd like to see them run it with more frequency.  Josh, like most qb's, are better when they get into a rhythm.  The no huddle can provide that and it's more difficult for defenses to change personnel and adjust on the fly.  On the flip side, a quick three and out in a no huddle isn't ideal against a team like the Patriots who can wear a defense out with those long and methodical drives.  You've got to pick your spots to run it but I agree that it could be something this offense does more.

You right… maybe it’s risky, but exactly like you said, i mean that is something we could use more, not always, to give defenses less time to adjust and harass Allen.  

Just wondering, not declaring. Questions:

Wouldn't the no huddle work better with a team with very good RBs and TEs and a strong running game. WRs running down the field deep will be winded quickly and need time to get back to setup properly, unless you quickly sub them out between plays, which requires excellent organization, practice, preparation and discipline by the coaches and players. Lots of pre-snap formation penalties otherwise. You would require real conditioning, discipline and excellent quality depth at WR. Do we have good enough  quality RBs, and enough depth at WR?

How important is having a good OL to making the hurry up work?

The Kelly era teams made the hurry up so effective because they had Kelly, Thomas and a good Oline. We have Allen, but not sure about the rest of this current team and the skill required of the coaches. Is the WR depth good enough, and do they have the stamina and conditioning to do it? Do we have good enough coaching with the game management skills and ability to keep the team disciplined enough?

Edited by simpleman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Diggs and Beasley could thrive in a no huddle. I'm not so sure the o-line could keep up with it. They wouldn't have to block as long, but they don't seem like the right group for a no huddle. The 90's Bills had the perfect personnel to run it. Josh just needs a great o-line in front of him. If he had another second or two, he would light up defenses.

Edited by Bubba Gump

3 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

I began watching football in late 80ies, i remember when the Bills were feared for the no huddle offense. I’m wondering if this could be a way to give us a more dangerous offense.

Personally i would love to use it very much more, to speed up the rhythm could affect defenses sets and, avoid the pressure on Allen and give us a different option on offense. What you think ? And again, we have the right men to use the no huddle offense ? 

Agree! I was thinking about this the other day; find your best base personnel and throw it in 2-3 times a game. Especially when the other team is rolling out their 2nd unit, or making subs, to give people a rest. I think the Bills are built for it now with the o-line back to 100% (to someone's point above, our RB's are good at picking up blocks and catching the ball, and we do now have an elite TE), it could be a big advantage at the right time.

Edited by CSBill

If you watch the glory years Bills games, you'll see that for the no-huddle to work you need a RB like Thurman Thomas running behind a strong O line, plus an excellent QB and receivers.  We have the latter two components but not the former two.  Also I think the way plays are called is really different.  Daboll is cooking up route combinations and blocking schemes as the game is underway, and giving that info to Allen.  Kelly often called his own plays, which he could do well at that time but it's a lot more complicated now.

So, no.  I don't think it's a good idea.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Utah John said:

If you watch the glory years Bills games, you'll see that for the no-huddle to work you need a RB like Thurman Thomas running behind a strong O line, plus an excellent QB and receivers.  We have the latter two components but not the former two.  Also I think the way plays are called is really different.  Daboll is cooking up route combinations and blocking schemes as the game is underway, and giving that info to Allen.  Kelly often called his own plays, which he could do well at that time but it's a lot more complicated now.

So, no.  I don't think it's a good idea.

Yes… Allen should have more freedom to call plays here and there, based in what he’s seeing in the fiele and feeling at the moment. 

The no huddle would speed up our rhythm and create tons of troubles for defenses.

But i agree that maybe, to do that, you need a couple of very good backs.

I just remember very well the excitement during our drives… it was a beauty to see and enjoy. 

Let’s take back that strenght to our Bills !!! 

Two quick comments:

First, it was having the weapon of Thurman Thomas that made the no huddle work, not Kelly.

Second: I’m pretty sure Josh has the ability to change any play at the line of scrimmage. Remember, back in Kelly’s era they didn’t have speakers in the helmet so Jim was on his own out there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Two quick comments:

First, it was having the weapon of Thurman Thomas that made the no huddle work, not Kelly.

Second: I’m pretty sure Josh has the ability to change any play at the line of scrimmage. Remember, back in Kelly’s era they didn’t have speakers in the helmet so Jim was on his own out there.

Who knows… maybe with the no huddle our backs would benefit thanks to that and would play better… 

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Except the only long drives the Pats will have against us tomorrow, will end in turn-overs. 😁

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Two quick comments:

Correct.  Without a top RB who can also catch the ball, that ("No Huddle", not "hurry up") Offense won't work.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Two quick comments:

Thurman and McKeller.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp

We have done it at times, but I would like to see it more myself.

My main concern is this: back in the Kelly era, we had an outstanding offensive line of lean linemen who could move and run with athleticism.

Now they are all lard asses and easily 30-40-50 pounds overweight, and it's all just blubber.

I'm not sure they could keep up with a quick, no huddle attack; they'd all be winded.

I have to disagree a bit to the people saying you need a good running back. I don't think you do, especially if you're a pass happy team. Part of running the no huddle is to keep the defense from making substitutions. It keeps the defense on their toes and theoretically wears them down. I'm all for the bills running the no huddle in their current state. I think part of the reason they don't run it is because it doesn't give Allen a chance to read the defense. I think daboll would rather Allen comes to the line and reads the defense, rather than going up tempo and risking mistakes/turnovers. I'm all for the no huddle though 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.