To Have a Good Running Back or A Not So Good Running Back That is the Question ??

T master

On 12/4/2021 at 5:33 PM, T master said:

So all we ever here is that the NFL is a passing league or that running backs are a dime a dozen or having a good running back isn't as important as it once was . Even Bills history has proved that if you can control a game by keeping a high powered offense off the field with a clock controlling running game you can defeat that high powered offense .

Well i have a tendency to disagree especially as the Bills are where they are & play in the conditions that they do. What would have happened in the snovertime game if there were no Shady McCoy to hand that ball to ? 

What have running teams done to the Bills top 5 D this year when faced with stopping them I think the Titans, Colts, Ravens & even the Bills have proved these points wrong . If Josh doesn't run with in the Bills offense and the backs don't they usually lose for the lack there of .

In their draft 2 years ago when they got Moss i just wasn't a fan of the pick ! Given the Bills location & being in a open stadium not to mention they really need a big bruiser of a back for the goal line and short yardage stuff i wanted a bigger say 230 lb back .

You mean to tell me a Jerome Bettis, AP, Christian Okoye aka Nigerian Nightmare , or others (in their prime) of that stature wouldn't be a welcome sight to the Bills offense ? I wanted the Bills to draft AJ Dillon the dude was a beast in college & is more than proved he can be a force to be reckoned with in the NFL and i for 1 would like to see just what he could bring standing behind Josh in this offense .

I don't believe those "NFL Experts" know quite as much as they are saying they do especially now with the new style defenses being geared to stop the pass with smaller, quicker players have a really good chance at stopping a true old style running game & we once again could see that play out this Monday night in prime time ! 

We have seen in some instances defenses stop a good running game and even the Bills have done it & i hope this week they put together one hell of a game plan to do just that but i do not agree that having a good running back is a lost art in todays NFL .

I think investing in a Najee Harris this past year could have been a really good get even though i am happy they got Roseau . Merida has been a definite breath of fresh air but I hope they at least try using Antonio Williams and hell give Wade a shot could he be any worse than what they have been putting out there ?

Can I have the cliff notes version please Normy?

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Always want a good RB but that goes for every position, what we need is a better line so the running game and passing game improve.

The 2022 commitment has to be OL.  Both in FA and the draft. After Brown and maybe Morse, no job is safe.  Then once the new and improved OL is established,  go shopping for a dynamic fast RB.  

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The 2022 commitment has to be OL.  Both in FA and the draft. After Brown and maybe Morse, no job is safe.  Then once the new and improved OL is established,  go shopping for a dynamic fast RB.  

Im on board with this but we needed bigger DTs as  well. We've drafted a million ends but not any big DTs, we need 2 more guys like Star.

That kid Davis from Georgia would be a good one. Guy is huge but not a fat boy, just a very large muscular kid and can move too.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jordan-davis-georgia-dt-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

On 12/5/2021 at 7:29 AM, TH3 said:

Motor 4.5 yards per carry….AJ Dillon 4.24…..so what are you talking about?

I have and always will think motor should be our guy getting most of the carries he is the motor for our offense in the back field (No pun intended) i never did like the Moss pick i wanted a bigger back to compliment motor with a different skill set .

Can you imagine AJ Dillon & Motor as our backs ? The small shifty guy then the battering ram for goal line & short yardage which that is what they thought Moss would be but sure even though he is a hard hitter IMHO he doesn't have enough ass he is 205 lbs & Motor is 203 lbs  .

The past 7 Super Bowl winning teams have had their main RB was no less than 215 lbs and that was Marshawn in 2014 .

You need some ass in the backfield I'd say keep Motor & at the very least use Gilliam he is 244 lbs & did very well against the Dolphins if i remember 🤔 use him as a lead blocker if nothing else i think we have the guys to make the running game better on the roster use them .

They say if it ain't broke don't fix it but if it is at least try something else with who you have because the run game in B/Lo ain't scaring no body !! 

Edited by T master

On 12/5/2021 at 9:53 AM, No Place To Hyde said:

Typing all of that just to end it with "Give Wade a shot" is really the best snapshot of the type of poster we see on this board these days.

Okay so there has been a couple of wise a** comments on here which doesn't surprise me seeing as we are on a Bills site but to all of those afore mentioned reply's by the wise a**es please excuse me for not being a total football geek & spending every extra minute either here or on some other Bills site to know exactly what has happened to who .

You all pick out some thing such as me misremembering that Wade is hurt and insert your wise a** comments or something about a misspelled name instead of putting a reply about the actual subject .

So ill say sorry to all of you that have holes in your hands that spend far to much time on your computers rather than doing things that are more productive.

Alls i was saying in this post is that the Bills need to do something different from what they have been doing & give those either on the roster or PS a chance to possibly change the run game to do better than they have been because what they are doing isn't working ... If you missed that that's on you .

of course a great ol is better than a great rb, but that's 5 guys vs 1, and the cheapest of those 5 great OL likely get the same or more than the 1 RB.

in terms of min maxing, what is the least cost and change that would result in the greatest improvement in our O (besides coaching anyhow) the biggest impacts as i see them are

OG, RB, TE, big WR.

solid OG might be our biggest instant improvement, but that says more about how awful the trash we line up out there are when we don't have our best guys in as much as how much the new OG himself will add.  of the rest, RBs are the one position who can be generally counted on to perform at a high level as a rookie, and don't cost as much to keep.  

slightly better RB (call it close to NFL average) on monday woulda won us the game.  taking away the horrible brieda fumble, and bouncing it outside on 1st and goal would have been enough in that disaster of a game.  I think it's clear we need OG and RB (and TE and WR if we can swing it) but we don't have any other OGs on the roster who can step up as far as i can see, so im for jamming williams in there to see what happens, cuz what we got now ain't getting it done.

29 minutes ago, T master said:

Okay so there has been a couple of wise a** comments on here which doesn't surprise me seeing as we are on a Bills site but to all of those afore mentioned reply's by the wise a**es please excuse me for not being a total football geek & spending every extra minute either here or on some other Bills site to know exactly what has happened to who .

You all pick out some thing such as me misremembering that Wade is hurt and insert your wise a** comments or something about a misspelled name instead of putting a reply about the actual subject .

So ill say sorry to all of you that have holes in your hands that spend far to much time on your computers rather than doing things that are more productive.

Alls i was saying in this post is that the Bills need to do something different from what they have been doing & give those either on the roster or PS a chance to possibly change the run game to do better than they have been because what they are doing isn't working ... If you missed that that's on you .

It's the "holier-than-thou" attitude for me. Man, you sound as whiney and butthurt as the players these days.

My main point is if you are going to have a thought...great. But know what you are talking about. It really does invalidate your whole suggestion if you aren't even aware of who you are suggesting gets a shot.

On to your point: Fans just LOVE making suggestions that teams should do something else. Great. However you also have to accecpt the facts that there are reasons that you and I aren't privy to that coaches play who they do and bench who they do. If Williams has shown any abilities that would lead the staff to believe he's an upgrade...he would play. 

Oh and they have tried something different. Pulled Breida on the game day roster. How's that been? We have had all kinds of line combinations this year...how's that worked out? 

The mistakes were made in the offseason by hoping everyone would take a step forward on the line and in the backfield after another offseason together. Plan failed.  Beane failed. Nothing really will improve that. Putting in (who coaches feel are) lesser players and hoping it some leads to improvements isn't a great plan. 

5 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

It's the "holier-than-thou" attitude for me. Man, you sound as whiney and butthurt as the players these days.

My main point is if you are going to have a thought...great. But know what you are talking about. It really does invalidate your whole suggestion if you aren't even aware of who you are suggesting gets a shot.

On to your point: Fans just LOVE making suggestions that teams should do something else. Great. However you also have to accecpt the facts that there are reasons that you and I aren't privy to that coaches play who they do and bench who they do. If Williams has shown any abilities that would lead the staff to believe he's an upgrade...he would play. 

Oh and they have tried something different. Pulled Breida on the game day roster. How's that been? We have had all kinds of line combinations this year...how's that worked out? 

The mistakes were made in the offseason by hoping everyone would take a step forward on the line and in the backfield after another offseason together. Plan failed.  Beane failed. Nothing really will improve that. Putting in (who coaches feel are) lesser players and hoping it some leads to improvements isn't a great plan. 

Okay ill agree to a point but just because i FORGOT that Wade was injured that or others post out that i spelled a name wrong come on .

I also agree with you that yes they have tried to make a change by inserting Berida into the offense which is a speed element but his size 5' 10" 190 lbs is the same or less than the other backs on the roster Moss 5' 9" 207 lbs & Motor 5'7" 203 lbs & what does every "Expert" say the Bills need to be more physical .

Well we have 2 guys sitting the bench that have shown in past games to be productive those being Gilliam 244 lbs FB & Williams 215 lbs so if what the Bills running game has been putting out Motor being IMHO the better of the 2 YPC wise why not use Gilliam as a true FB & block (for motor) on goal line to block or run it for short yardage .

The only thing i'm trying to point out is and i believe we have the players to help make a change for the better as the old adage says 

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" But it is broke so at least do something with what you have & who knows they may find a really good combination .

Einstein said - "We can not solve our problems with the same thinking as we used to create them" so then change your thinking and use what you have at your disposal to hopefully exhaust every avenue in hopes of finding that better combo then if you don't find the other direction weather it be in FA or a trade to make it better but they should do something that's all i;m saying ...

1 minute ago, T master said:

Okay ill agree to a point but just because i FORGOT that Wade was injured that or others post out that i spelled a name wrong come on .

I also agree with you that yes they have tried to make a change by inserting Berida into the offense which is a speed element but his size 5' 10" 190 lbs is the same or less than the other backs on the roster Moss 5' 9" 207 lbs & Motor 5'7" 203 lbs & what does every "Expert" say the Bills need to be more physical .

Well we have 2 guys sitting the bench that have shown in past games to be productive those being Gilliam 244 lbs FB & Williams 215 lbs so if what the Bills running game has been putting out Motor being IMHO the better of the 2 YPC wise why not use Gilliam as a true FB & block (for motor) on goal line to block or run it for short yardage .

The only thing i'm trying to point out is and i believe we have the players to help make a change for the better as the old adage says 

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" But it is broke so at least do something with what you have & who knows they may find a really good combination .

Einstein said - "We can not solve our problems with the same thinking as we used to create them" so then change your thinking and use what you have at your disposal to hopefully exhaust every avenue in hopes of finding that better combo then if you don't find the other direction weather it be in FA or a trade to make it better but they should do something that's all i;m saying ...

I get what you are saying, I really do and agree that some things need to be fixed. 

Gilliam has been injured. He was actually one of my picks for guys that many surprise this year. They haven't used him when healthy. Williams...we as fans have no clue. He looked good on that game against a Miami team that was as checked out mentally as they could be...however that was a while back and it looks as he hasn't built upon it. 

With trade deadline passing and Buffalo having very little cap space to work with right now...signing street FAs or poaching someone off a practice squad aren't really possible either. We have who we have and will obviously need upgrades in the off season. My worry there is when its comes to Beane and offensive linemen, he seems content go after the Bobby Harts of the NFL and not players that are going to move the needle. There were a TON of starting caliber linemen available last off season. Beane's decision to "run it back" with our own players was a huge mistake and turned a possible Super Bowl season into what is likely going to be a lost year.

8 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I get what you are saying, I really do and agree that some things need to be fixed. 

Gilliam has been injured. He was actually one of my picks for guys that many surprise this year. They haven't used him when healthy. Williams...we as fans have no clue. He looked good on that game against a Miami team that was as checked out mentally as they could be...however that was a while back and it looks as he hasn't built upon it. 

With trade deadline passing and Buffalo having very little cap space to work with right now...signing street FAs or poaching someone off a practice squad aren't really possible either. We have who we have and will obviously need upgrades in the off season. My worry there is when its comes to Beane and offensive linemen, he seems content go after the Bobby Harts of the NFL and not players that are going to move the needle. There were a TON of starting caliber linemen available last off season. Beane's decision to "run it back" with our own players was a huge mistake and turned a possible Super Bowl season into what is likely going to be a lost year.

I hope the season isn't lost but it for sure will be a uphill battle & the Bills once again will become the underdog which to be truthful i'd rather ave them there because they seem to play with more urgency but what about guys like a AP & i just read that Gurley is still available and i think he would play for cheap just to play & in limited use who knows ?

For a stretch run he may have enough in a limited role to help out i just know what they got isn't getting it oh & Frank Gore is still out there not sure if he has said he's retired but in the article i just looked up it says he's still there just saying ...

8 minutes ago, T master said:

I hope the season isn't lost but it for sure will be a uphill battle & the Bills once again will become the underdog which to be truthful i'd rather ave them there because they seem to play with more urgency but what about guys like a AP & i just read that Gurley is still available and i think he would play for cheap just to play & in limited use who knows ?

For a stretch run he may have enough in a limited role to help out i just know what they got isn't getting it oh & Frank Gore is still out there not sure if he has said he's retired but in the article i just looked up it says he's still there just saying ...

AP is with Seattle and much like Gurley is really broken down. Honestly would rather have Frank Gore than either of them...and I don't want Gore at all. Guys like Gurley...there are reasons why they are sitting home instead of even taking a spot on someone's practice squad. RBs tend to nosedive fast when they hit that wall. 

Getting a new RB (short of Barry Sanders in his prime) and playing him behind this line would be like buying a brand new motor for a car after you just drove it off a cliff. Even with a shiney new addition...it's not going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.