What makes a team "physical?"

Success

Honestly, at least in my own opinion...

Physicality almost always refers to being able to run the football on offense, and stopping the run on defense.  

If you can't do those 2 things, you are not physical.

Unfortunately, we do not do either one of those things well.  We are not built to beat the colts, titans or Patriots.  

Beane has built this team to beat KC.  Which, he successfully did in his defense.  

The NFL evolves too quickly to keep up with drafting/signing the right bodies.

On 12/4/2021 at 4:38 PM, Success said:

I keep hearing that the Patriots & other teams are "physical," and that the Bills are "soft." 

What is it in particular that makes a team physical?  I think the Bills are called "soft" largely because of the Colts game, where we definitely got run over.  But I've seen other games this season, and definitely last season, where our lines were much more assertive and dictating in terms of the pace & style of play.  Players like Addison, Oliver & Edmunds, Hyde & Poyer are all hard hitters on the defense, and even our O-line has a couple of guys who are in that "mauler" mode.

Our receivers are more finesse - we don't have that Metcalf kind of guy - but Knox is as tough as they come at TE, and Beasley for his size is a very physical player.

Is this aspect of the game overplayed?  Are we really a "soft" team?  Thoughts welcome.

No its not over played and no we are not soft. However we are physically small and weak up front and thats what makes us not physical, we physically cant match up with the bigger stronger teams. thankfully Brown, Feliciano, Star and Edmunds are back.

But next year we need to get bigger and stronger up the middle.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1

Hard to say. There's a bit of a battle between the statheads who can't (or haven't) quantified it so therefore think it doesn't exist (in philosophy this is called 'positivism'), and the practicioners who feel in their gut it matters but couldn't prove it. I think the statheads are probably right about finesse/passing being more valuable but their methods probably don't take into account how much even just the threat of run allows the finesse to work. I suspect if they tried to quantify that they'd find some kind of effect.

As for the Bills, I'm OK with whatever happens tonight or this season. If they're too 'soft' to win this year, Beane will get a couple of road-grading guards and a run-stuffing LB or 2. The league is constantly adjusting, if you build a D to slow down Tom Baby and Mahomes then that will inevitably lead to opportunities for teams to run on you. I don't think the Bills have made mistakes per se, but on this run thing I think it's possible they may be slightly behind the curve. I think we'll see tonight and in the playoffs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.