What makes a team "physical?"

Success

I keep hearing that the Patriots & other teams are "physical," and that the Bills are "soft." 

What is it in particular that makes a team physical?  I think the Bills are called "soft" largely because of the Colts game, where we definitely got run over.  But I've seen other games this season, and definitely last season, where our lines were much more assertive and dictating in terms of the pace & style of play.  Players like Addison, Oliver & Edmunds, Hyde & Poyer are all hard hitters on the defense, and even our O-line has a couple of guys who are in that "mauler" mode.

Our receivers are more finesse - we don't have that Metcalf kind of guy - but Knox is as tough as they come at TE, and Beasley for his size is a very physical player.

Is this aspect of the game overplayed?  Are we really a "soft" team?  Thoughts welcome.

I think every NFL team is “physical”. They’re all big guys with loads of talent. I think the use of the term comes down to results. A team is going to be considered “soft” if the QB is under constant pressure, they can’t run the ball, they don’t pressure the QB on defense, and can’t stop the run. That’s been the case with our losses, hence the label being applied. Winning football games erases all negative labels. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Success said:

I keep hearing that the Patriots & other teams are "physical," and that the Bills are "soft." 

What is it in particular that makes a team physical?  I think the Bills are called "soft" largely because of the Colts game, where we definitely got run over.  But I've seen other games this season, and definitely last season, where our lines were much more assertive and dictating in terms of the pace & style of play.  Players like Addison, Oliver & Edmunds, Hyde & Poyer are all hard hitters on the defense, and even our O-line has a couple of guys who are in that "mauler" mode.

Our receivers are more finesse - we don't have that Metcalf kind of guy - but Knox is as tough as they come at TE, and Beasley for his size is a very physical player.

Is this aspect of the game overplayed?  Are we really a "soft" team?  Thoughts welcome.

Women lie ,men lie, numbers don't Look at the numbers. 

We have the highest pressure % on D and top 5 ypc and 11th in rush ypg.

Ppl criticize our lines quite a bit but the numbers tell a different story and we're getting upgrades back in Star, Brown and Mongo

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Blocking scheme matters. Mainly mismatches for instance. If you can get a lineman on a CB or S on a well designed run play, how do you stop that?

Having a fantastic center and guards also matters quite a bit on QB sneaks, HB dives during goal line and short yardage situations. The ability to overpower in situations when the play calling is obvious and when the game ultimately turns into a matter of will between the two teams. Having 2-3 TEs on the roster who can block as additional linemen in these situations can help also, as well as putting a 6th OL the field.

I also think that the most obvious response you’ll see in this thread is the presence of a quality NT, but I think that’s a position that is exceedingly difficult to fill given the circumstances especially when it pertains to finding an elite one. Many of these guys are drafted fairly high in RD1, but many of them fail to become even remotely average. There’s very few men on this Earth that are capable of throwing around and outmuscling some of the biggest, most gifted and talented athletes on this planet.

Short of the things I listed above, I think having an in the box safety is also a cheat code for defenses and hard to stop. The Troy Polamalu’s and Sean Taylor’s of the world etc. I suppose in the modern day NFL, players like Jamal Adams, Kyle Dugger and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah would fill that role rather admirably. It may be too early for draft talk, but Kyle Hamilton of Notre Dame looks to be a nice player that could fit that mold. No idea where he will go as far as the draft is concerned.

I would also like to point out that having two shutdown CBs is very difficult for most offenses to overcome. This puts your two guys on the outside in man coverage while allowing your defense to put 8 in the box.

RB also matters, but I think without a quality line and especially a quality run blocking scheme they’ll faulter quickly. It truly does take an innovative coach to optimize the run game consistently.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Scheme and Coaching can help an OL a ton…

If your OL is winning, your team is going to look a lot more physical.  Look no further than Singletary’s monster run later in the game last week.  Get him into the second level and he can do some things. 

Im watching the SEC Championship Game, and Bama’s OL was getting wrecked by Auburn last week.  They were the sole reason Bama almost lost that game. 

So far, against UGA, they are holding their own.  

Edited by SCBills

it was our off-season review-feedback from coaches that we were too light in the trenches as far as dealing with the D running game last season, so Star comes back + and we draft two DEs to improve the pass rush and sign another Carolina (of course) DE...so did we effectively deal with issue ?  Yes and No...No because no interior size or talent added other than the return of Star, and yes because we expect edmunds and everyone to play a better scheme based on continuity which btw isthe secondary improvement to the O line other than the better-than-expected play of Brown, who as RT will have his hands full of Judon (10,5 sacks) who likely plays the right-side to edge rush and contain Josh in the pocket for the interior push to sack...we shall see down this key stretch of games with the Pats and Bucs and whether or not we make playoffs and further the off-season as far as what they do with the lines which is where they invest picks (D) and money (O)...speaking of which what the hell happened to D Williams and his fine 2020 season at RT has become a liability at same position this year ?  Not even bringing up Cody Ford who hased on his size, draft slot and position should be mauling-physical but appears to be too slow...

Edited by First Round Bust

39 minutes ago, Success said:

The Pats have one of biggest offensive lines in the league,  if Frazier call a conservative game and does not attack the rookie QB they will kick our butts.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I think people are thinking the pats will be able to pick up a 3rd and short/medium running the football on us when we know it’s coming and that’s what they mean by soft. Diggs looked pretty physical outmuscling the pats bracket coverage all game last matchup last time…sanders is certainly a more physical receiver than John brown was also 

It means different things to different people but rule of thumb is usually a team that likes to run the football right at you and allows the line to initiate contact instead of the other way around physical teams have an MO of not being overtly fast while finesse teams have the MO of not being all that big 

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

yeah 380 is pretty big. Our own rookie Brown is same height, but not that heavy. At 380 one would think he'd be a little slow...

Wow, that is big. Must take like a lunar year just to run around that guy. A blitz to that side might be effective. Or speed rush to the outside and leave Ed Oliver with plenty of room to take the inside move.

I think it's part mental attitude and part physical mismatch for our guys.  Josh Allen has quoted his college coach saying "football is a Man Whupping Man game".   That starts between the ears.

There are clearly games where we are highly physical.  The KC game this year, the Ravens and Colts playoff games last year come to mind. 

There are games where we're not - the Titans game and Colts games this season come to mind, the Jags game on offense, as well as the KC AFCCG last season.  There are games where we're not, on one side of the ball or another.  

We tend to be a physically smaller team - for example, we typically play with 2 LB, and our DL and OL tend to be on the smaller side. 

That's a mismatch they overcome with attitude, technique, and energy.  If they know what they're seeing and play fast and with confidence, they can win.  If they need to process and it slows them a bit, if they don't bring the goods on technique, or if they think they can "phone it in", they get run over.

IMHO, there's some aspect of coaching involved - making sure the guys are 100% prepared mentally and not "behind the week" in getting ready, and also somehow getting them to play with the same energy and discipline week in and week out.   My feeling is that if we have a really hard physical game one week (like against the Ravens in the playoffs last season) we tend to have a bit of a letdown the following week. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.