Patriots at Bills: Game Week Thread (v2)

BuffaloBillyG

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cope.  When we have several members in a thread lobbying for a visiting team fan to be banned and another guy implying that the thread has become a sewer, it's time to try something new.  I'm not afraid to make in-game adjustments here (and Stand the Roast if they suck).

it was sarcasm 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I didn’t say that have a great run game.  I said that their run game is better than ours.   I also stated why the stats that you checked are fools gold. But think what you want…..stats show the bills have a better run game than the pats, so it must be true.  

Putin apparently didn't look at our conversation at all.

If the Pats defense sells out to stop the run, they're toast. They won't do that. Belichick will focus on stopping Diggs/Knox.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Putin apparently didn't look at our conversation at all.

If the Pats defense sells out to stop the run, they're toast. They won't do that. Belichick will focus on stopping Diggs/Knox.

I don’t think they’ll sell out to sell the run, unless the wind and weather is shown to have an obvious negative on the passing game.  I agree, they’ll show Diggs some extra attention and have someone spy 17.  I just don’t see them selling out to stop the pass as several other opponents have done.  

OT, I really hoping Dugger is out.  Dude is a beast.   His tackling, from a physical standpoint vs Knox, the RBs and Allen, could create a TO and/or end someone’s day/season.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In the last 3 games, the  OL has been Wynn, Karras, Andrews, Mason, Trent Brown, and that's who the Patriots have listed as starters on their depth chart.  I believe Onwenu had replaced Brown at RT for the Jets, Chargers, and Panthers games.

Prior to that (games 3 through 6) the Pats were playing several substitutes on OL and I think, guys out of position.  I dunno about pressure on Jones, but he threw more picks in that stretch (2 or 3 per game) and, NE had 49 rush yards against the Saints  and -1 (no typo) against the Bucs.  Evidently the OL impacts the QB's play and the run game, Who Knew?

I'm not sure the starters at the beginning of the season are the guys that are now starters (just as the Bills starting OL changed)

Perhaps one of our resident Pats fans such as @PatsFanNH or @Ghost_002! could comment on the Pats OL situation.

According to pro football reference, the Pats run play action on 26% of their passing attempts.  They rush on almost half (46%) of their offensive plays, which helps set that up.  Play action, a heavy dose of rushing plays, and a short passing game designed to get the ball out of Jones hands quickly help to minimize pressure on him.  Same source, Jones is blitzed on 1/3 of his pass attempts (33%) but only hurried on 19.3% of them. 

Jones gets the ball out very quickly - 8th in the league at 2.3 sec and different from 4th by the hundredths place.  I think that's by the design of their game.  Jones gets almost half his passing yards as YAC - the Pats average 5.6 air yards per completion and 5.5 YAC.

The Pats pass 77% of the time from the Shotgun, and 29% of the time from under Center, which are fairly big disparities.

Yes, getting the ball out quick has been NE's M O for many years. I believe this is coaching. However, if the Buffalo offense can get out to an early lead, that will throw a monkey wrench into that coaching plan. They'll be forced to take shots downfield. This game can get ugly real fast for NE. Of course, same can be said for Buffalo.

Funny thing is, I really think the Bills can run the ball in this one. And I think the Bills will be able to run play action because of it. Use their own game plan against them. Over the last couple of weeks, we've seen the Bills committing to the run. I'm certain Belichick is aware of this, but can he stop it? Mix in a little(I can't believe I'm saying this) RPOs and see if they can stop us. I think the RPOs have been over used but a commitment to the run, a mix of play action and RPOs...I don't think they can stop it. This plan works as long as Allen isn't holding on to the ball for an eternity... also something I have seen an improvement on over the past couple of weeks.

I honestly think the *Pat's offense will struggle. The story line in this game will be can their defense stop the Bills. Mac Jones has done well, but I am far from anointing him the next Tom Brady.

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think they’ll sell out to sell the run, unless the wind and weather is shown to have an obvious negative on the passing game.  I agree, they’ll show Diggs some extra attention and have someone spy 17.  I just don’t see them selling out to stop the pass as several other opponents have done.  

OT, I really hoping Dugger is out.  Dude is a beast.   His tackling, from a physical standpoint vs Knox, the RBs and Allen, could create a TO and/or end someone’s day/season.  

The irritating thing is teams havnt needed to sell out in order to stop our run. There’s been plenty of instances where they are sitting back on the pass and we still can’t run on light fronts and boxes. It’s infuriating to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McDermott: "Yeah, We'll see.  I'm gonna keep my options open as far as that goes, I have confidence in both of those young men and anxious to continue to watch them grow"

That doesn't sound like "Benched for the Season" to me

Sounds more like "we will choose the less bad out of two poor options"

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I added  turnovers per game

Per PFR, turnover % is "percentage of drives ending in an opponents offensive turnover"

Can you give us the same stats for the last 6 games played? I believe those stats are a more accurate picture of both teams; especially the Patriots. Remember, they were a work in progress with a very green QB. Something tells me the stats show the Pats have an advantage. Doesn't mean it translates on the field. Stats can be interpreted and minipulated in various ways. Additionally, they are unaccounted variables such as injuries. 

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Josh will be playing in this game. I expect him to be a part of the running game.

You can bet BB is making his players do extra "punch the ball out" drills. Allen better slide as soon as he gets a first down and doesnt fight for more yards

32 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Funny thing is, I really think the Bills can run the ball in this one.

Presuming, of course, that Daboll doesnt try to out smart the opposition and just calls a well balanced game

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Hapless The Pats O line is healthy now, but when Big Trent Brown went down for like 5 games (week 2 to 7) Jones got hit a lot. The biggest topic up here was “How much punishment can Jones take before he is injured.” I mean Jones got hit so hard by Dallas Phillips?? That I was expecting him to stay down on the ground. (I’d say the first five weeks he was hit hard and a lot) since Brown has gotten healthy he doesn’t get hit as often and well if Wynn can learn to stop holding it be a great line. (Wynn gets called for holding at least once a game and usually after a big play.. drives me crazy. He IMO is a bust of a 1st round pick. )

Thanks.  It looks like it wasn't just Brown, though, but a bunch of backups playing ~week 3 to 6 or so?

Seems like they got the line back after the Cowboys game

Since the Bucs, though, it doesn't seem like the Pats have played a team that is very strong on "affect the QB"

The best has been the Titans, who were excellent with pressure earlier in the season - but they seemed pretty banged up on defense as well as offense in Week 12.  (Missing Dupree, Evans, Long - basically a lot of guys who were starting when they met the Bills)

12 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The irritating thing is teams havnt needed to sell out in order to stop our run. There’s been plenty of instances where they are sitting back on the pass and we still can’t run on light fronts and boxes. It’s infuriating to watch. 

Right, don't blame them a bit. There has been no respect for our rushing game basically at all. But recently Breida/Devin has improved it some. Not by very much, but enough to stick with those 2 for a while imo, but not sure if enough to make defenses change up all that much, yet anyways. Hopefully at least acknowledge it a little more maybe lol.

I am interested to see how it is with the OL back though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

You can bet BB is making his players do extra "punch the ball out" drills. Allen better slide as soon as he gets a first down and doesnt fight for more yards

You can also bet BB has prepared his team for Allen's legs. Allen has to play big for the Bills to win. I think the moment isn't too big for him. The franchise QB will be under severe duress and the weather sounds like it will be more difficult to pass. Go Bills.

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

ou can bet BB is making his players do extra "punch the ball out" drills. Allen better slide as soon as he gets a first down and doesnt fight for more yards

Well I'm sure this is something every team does at this point when playing Bills. They know Josh has that issue.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks.  It looks like it wasn't just Brown, though, but a bunch of backups playing ~week 3 to 6 or so?

Seems like they got the line back after the Cowboys game

Since the Bucs, though, it doesn't seem like the Pats have played a team that is very strong on "affect the QB"

The best has been the Titans, who were excellent with pressure earlier in the season - but they seemed pretty banged up on defense as well as offense in Week 12

(Missing Dupree, Evans, Long - basically a lot of guys who were starting when they met the Bills)

Certainly, the Bills defense presents problems for the young QB.  Any imput on the Bills pass rush? How effective will they be when Jones just dink and dunks the ball? I'm thinking the Bills crowd the line of scrimmage, bump their receivers and play physical, squat and jump the short routes. Don't the Bills have to try to force him hold the ball longer and throw longer passes? Is this something the Bills can be successful doing? 

Edited by newcam2012

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Presuming, of course, that Daboll doesnt try to out smart the opposition and just calls a well balanced game

Yeah, there has been a concerted effort to get the run game going, so Allen isn't trying to do it all himself. Pretty hard to do when you are playing backups on the OL. Make no mistake, the run will be a significant part of the game plan. Same with play action. And just when NE thinks they have the offense figured out, sneak in an RPO. You can see from the last couple of games, they have been trying to be more balanced. Now we get some big uglies back on the OL. I think you'll see an improvement.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Can you give us the same stats for the last 6 games played? I believe those stats are a more accurate picture of both teams; especially the Patriots. Remember, they were a work in progress with a very green QB. Something tells me the stats show the Pats have an advantage. Doesn't mean it translates on the field. Stats can be interpreted and minipulated in various ways. Additionally, they are unaccounted variables such as injuries. 

You're welcome to produce them!  If something tells you "the stats show the Pats have an advantage" over the last 6 games vs. the last 6 games for the Bills and that the beginning of the season doesn't count because *reasons*, knock yourself out! 

A lot of things happen in a season.  Injuries impact all teams and their opponents, at different times.  For example, Bills fans would point out that we've been playing without our best RT for 4 of the last 5 weeks and our starting LG for the last 4 weeks, which on the Bills lineup means we were down to 3rd string at RG.  We played without our starting MLB week 10 and 11 and without our starting DT (and best run stopper) the last 3 weeks.  Missing both may have had an influence on the outcome of week 11 against the Colts.  Losing Tre Day for the season will be a factor.

I'm not gonna "cherry pick" for the Bills either, and say "let's look at our stats only while these guys were playing, something tells me......"

But I think it's a very interesting position for a Bills fan to take

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Certainly, the Bills defense presents problems for the young QB.  Any imput on the Bills pass rush? How effective will they be when Jones just dink and dunks the ball? I'm thinking the Bills crowd the line of scrimmage, bump their receivers and play physical, squat and jump the short routes. Don't the Bills have to try to force him hold the ball longer and throw longer passes? Is this something the Bills can be successful doing? 

I only have one thing to say on this. Ed Oliver up the middle.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

💯 

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

it was sarcasm

In view of all the work required on this end, your sarcasm was given its due appreciation by me.  What exactly that means is left as an exercise by the intelligent reader.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And my girlfriend says “ and by far the hottest” 

Erik Turner's wife says "drink until your husband looks like Matt Milano" *heh* 😇

44 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Right, don't blame them a bit. There has been no respect for our rushing game basically at all. But recently Breida/Devin has improved it some. Not by very much, but enough to stick with those 2 for a while imo, but not sure if enough to make defenses change up all that much, yet anyways. Hopefully at least acknowledge it a little more maybe lol.

I am interested to see how it is with the OL back though.

It's not just Breida.  There's been an effort to operate more from under center so as to create some doubt as to whether it's pass, play action, or run.   Breida also allows us to actually run outside the tackles.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.