Patriots at Bills: Game Week Thread (v2)

BuffaloBillyG

Link to McD's presser.    today.

The Q/A I haven't seen covered in Media tweets was:

Katharine (Buff News reporter): "What have you seen out of Isaiah and Marquez in the return game this week, and is this something you want to solidify or will it be week to week for a bit?"

McDermott: "Yeah, We'll see.  I'm gonna keep my options open as far as that goes, I have confidence in both of those young men and anxious to continue to watch them grow"

That doesn't sound like "Benched for the Season" to me

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I haven't watched any Patriots games this year. Have any teams been able to pressure Jones regularly? I think if we can do that we have a good shot at winning providing the we can limit the damage in the run game.

The Bucs smoked him. 4 sacks. There was a 4 game stretch where he was sacked like 10 times. If you stop the run and Jones has to throw 40+ times, you can definitely get to him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Meh, the Bills have been better at running than NE and have a better run defense. 17 also has legs. He's a football player. Our best weapon needs to be able to play football like all the great QBs before him. This isn't arena football or just a game of catch.

yeah, we have a better running game than the pats.  “But look at the stats” they say.  You have to look deeper than stats.  

The majority of our opponents run a cover 2 shell for a significant portion of the game.  The way the opposition defends us and the way the opposition defends the pats are completely different.  That is why we see the Bills with a higher ypc…..our opponents literally beg us to run.  The Patriots have a better run game than we do.  

I agree that our run d is better than the pats.  The colts game is tough to gauge considering we didn’t have 98 or 49.  I thought we did ok vs the titans too (minus 2 plays and obvious penalties that weren’t called).  Where I think we may have trouble vs the pats is the PA pass.  Let’s hope that their run D is bad enough where our OL can open up some holes when we need them to

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Link to McD's presser.    today.

The Q/A I haven't seen covered in Media tweets was:

Katharine (Buff News reporter): "What have you seen out of Isaiah and Marquez in the return game this week, and is this something you want to solidify or will it be week to week for a bit?"

McDermott: "Yeah, We'll see.  I'm gonna keep my options open as far as that goes, I have confidence in both of those young men and anxious to continue to watch them grow"

That doesn't sound like "Benched for the Season" to me

McKenzie is a jokester. I don't take anything he says to the public seriously.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

yeah, we have a better running game than the pats.  “But look at the stats” they say.  You have to look deeper than stats.  

The majority of our opponents run a cover 2 shell for a significant portion of the game.  The way the opposition defends us and the way the opposition defends the pats are completely different.  That is why we see the Bills with a higher ypc…..our opponents literally beg us to run.  The Patriots have a better run game than we do.  

I agree that our run d is better than the pats.  The colts game is tough to gauge considering we didn’t have 98 or 49.  I thought we did ok vs the titans too (minus 2 plays and obvious penalties that weren’t called).  Where I think we may have trouble vs the pats is the PA pass.  Let’s hope that their run D is bad enough where our OL can open up some holes when we need them to

Do you think we're gonna run a cover 2 shell against the Pats?

Do you think the Pats are gonna stack the box against us?

No?

Okay.

Good luck with that play action pass in the wind and rain/snow....

35 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I think NEs ability to stop the run is suspect and that Buffalo's RBs will be effective against them. Also think that will open up passing opportunities for Josh.

Agreed.

We ran the ball effectively with both Singletary and Moss last year against the Pats in OP. And given our strengths in the passing game, I think it's safe to say Belichick will try to limit Josh and opportunities will be there again on the ground. If Brown is back, I feel pretty good about being able to move the ball on their defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Meh, the Bills have been better at running than NE and have a better run defense. 17 also has legs. He's a football player. Our best weapon needs to be able to play football like all the great QBs before him. This isn't arena football or just a game of catch.

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

When including Josh ( I assume you both are) in running game I agree Bills are a little better than NE.

As for not including Josh and talking RB's only I would guess it may be neck n neck or maybe even NE could be a little better. 

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

No?

Okay.

No one runs a cover 2 shell against the pats …..that’s why their ypc is lower than ours…..and why their run game is better than ours.  It just illustrates why ypc and ypg isn’t always supportive of “who has the better run game”.  

Regarding their play action in the wind and rain, I agree, it will be a big problem for them if mac can’t deliver, but the threat of their run game will certainly catch our defenses eye. Which could lead to players being wide open.  

Never seen him throw in conditions, so the conditions may very well play in our favor if he has problems throwing accurately.  It’s an unknown at this point.   

last season, in our first meeting (in Buffalo) the weather was wet and windy, which led to a poor day of passing- 11-18 154- 0 TDs, 1 isn’t-  35 qbr, 65 rating.  Luckily we were able to run the ball (and Zimmer strip the ball), but their front 7 this season is completely different to what we faced last season.  

40 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

When including Josh ( I assume you both are) in running game I agree Bills are a little better than NE.

As for not including Josh and talking RB's only I would guess it may be neck n neck or maybe even NE could be a little better. 

The bolded was sarcasm.  I believe the pats have the better run game, even when we include Josh.  The reason we have success running the ball is because opposing defenses are begging us to run.  No one is game planning to stop motor, Moss or breida.  

Everyone sells out to stop our pass.  The run is left open.  Considering the oppositions focus on our passing game, our run O should be better than it is imo.  The Patriots OL is a superior run blocking unit when compared to ours.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No one runs a cover 2 shell against the pats …..that’s why their ypc is lower than ours…..and why their run game is better than ours.  It just illustrates why ypc and ypg isn’t always supportive of “who has the better run game”.  

Exactly. We won't either.

You're talking about their running game being better than ours in a vacuum. I'm talking about the actual matchup.

13 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Josh will be playing in this game. I expect him to be a part of the running game.

26 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

No?

Okay.

On the McKenzie is a jokester LeGOATski, this is true. The Bills need less jokes and more of a lets get down to business attitude right now IMO. Stevenson has big play potential in my humble opinion.

I want to see it...

13 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I think NE had a couple of games where OL starters were out and Jones struggled. They are back practicing now though. Still, Buffalo does do a pretty good job of pressuring any QB.

In the last 3 games, the  OL has been Wynn, Karras, Andrews, Mason, Trent Brown, and that's who the Patriots have listed as starters on their depth chart.  I believe Onwenu had replaced Brown at RT for the Jets, Chargers, and Panthers games.

Prior to that (games 3 through 6) the Pats were playing several substitutes on OL and I think, guys out of position.  I dunno about pressure on Jones, but he threw more picks in that stretch (2 or 3 per game) and, NE had 49 rush yards against the Saints  and -1 (no typo) against the Bucs.  Evidently the OL impacts the QB's play and the run game, Who Knew?

I'm not sure the starters at the beginning of the season are the guys that are now starters (just as the Bills starting OL changed)

Perhaps one of our resident Pats fans such as @PatsFanNH or @Ghost_002! could comment on the Pats OL situation.

According to pro football reference, the Pats run play action on 26% of their passing attempts.  They rush on almost half (46%) of their offensive plays, which helps set that up.  Play action, a heavy dose of rushing plays, and a short passing game designed to get the ball out of Jones hands quickly help to minimize pressure on him.  Same source, Jones is blitzed on 1/3 of his pass attempts (33%) but only hurried on 19.3% of them. 

Jones gets the ball out very quickly - 8th in the league at 2.3 sec and different from 4th by the hundredths place.  I think that's by the design of their game.  Jones gets almost half his passing yards as YAC - the Pats average 5.6 air yards per completion and 5.5 YAC.

The Pats pass 77% of the time from the Shotgun, and 29% of the time from under Center, which are fairly big disparities.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Josh will be playing in this game. I expect him to be a part of the running game.

Well yeah obviously he usually is. Just saying as far as comparing the RBs only of both teams in rushing NE may be better.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In the last 3 games, the  OL has been Wynn, Karras, Andrews, Mason, Trent Brown, and that's who the Patriots have listed as starters on their depth chart.  I believe Onwenu had replaced Brown at RT for the Jets, Chargers, and Panthers games.

Prior to that (games 3 through 6) the Pats were playing several substitutes on OL and I think, guys out of position.  I dunno about pressure on Jones, but he threw more picks in that stretch (2 or 3 per game) and, NE had 49 rush yards against the Saints  and -1 (no typo) against the Bucs.  Evidently the OL impacts the QB's play and the run game, Who Knew?

I'm not sure the starters at the beginning of the season are the guys that are now starters (just as the Bills starting OL changed)

Perhaps one of our resident Pats fans such as @PatsFanNH or @Ghost_002! could comment on the Pats OL situation.

According to pro football reference, the Pats run play action on 26% of their passing attempts.  They rush on almost half (46%) of their offensive plays, which helps set that up.  Play action, a heavy dose of rushing plays, and a short passing game designed to get the ball out of Jones hands quickly help to minimize pressure on him.  Same source, Jones is blitzed on 1/3 of his pass attempts (33%) but only hurried on 19.3% of them. 

Jones gets the ball out very quickly - 8th in the league at 2.3 sec and different from 4th by the hundredths place.  I think that's by the design of their game.  Jones gets almost half his passing yards as YAC - the Pats average 5.6 air yards per completion and 5.5 YAC.

The Pats pass 77% of the time from the Shotgun, and 29% of the time from under Center, which are fairly big disparities.

Hapless The Pats O line is healthy now, but when Big Trent Brown went down for like 5 games (week 2 to 7) Jones got hit a lot. The biggest topic up here was “How much punishment can Jones take before he is injured.” I mean Jones got hit so hard by Dallas Phillips?? That I was expecting him to stay down on the ground. (I’d say the first five weeks he was hit hard and a lot) since Brown has gotten healthy he doesn’t get hit as often and well if Wynn can learn to stop holding it be a great line. (Wynn gets called for holding at least once a game and usually after a big play.. drives me crazy. He IMO is a bust of a 1st round pick. )

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm glad no one cared about the weather during the drought. Would've made that 17-year experience all the more worse.

I remember during the drought everyone said that if the Bills could get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, that it would be a great thing, and one of the best parts about it would be the weather. :wacko:

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Exactly. We won't either.

You're talking about their running game being better than ours in a vacuum. I'm talking about the actual matchup.

I’m just talking about the Pats having a better run game than the Bills.  

If we were to look at it within the current vacuum (Monday night), the weather conditions will most certainly add a level of difficulty to the pass game…..allowing the pats to “not” play cover 2 shell, hence eliminating the biggest reason our run game has any success.  Hopefully josh will  be able move the ball through the air, regardless of weather.  

• Agree 1

If bulletin board material and the "no one believes in us!" mindset are real things (and who knows if they are - these guys are pros), the Bills couldn't possibly have more fuel for this one.

Pats fans are 100% that they had a 1-year rebuild, have their Montana/Young, and that the division is theirs again for 20 more years.  The media has talked about the Patriots for 2 solid weeks - they got more coverage than the Bills even on Thanksgiving Day.  Mac Jones hype, BB hype, "new dynasty" hype, hype, hype, hype.

The Bills, after being an early SB favorite, are now as much of an afterthought as a good team can be.  Everyone is writing them off.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

No?

Okay.

You can still run PA and throw 5-15 yard routes.  Tennessee did that to us all game. 

Mac doesn’t have a ton of arm strength, so those 10-15 yard throws - especially towards the sidelines may be affected, but he should be able to run a short passing offense off PA… how effective in the weather remains to be seen. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

Do the pats really have great run game ? I checked the stats and we/Bills are actually better

I didn’t say that have a great run game.  I said that their run game is better than ours.   I also stated why the stats that you checked are fools gold. But think what you want…..stats show the bills have a better run game than the pats, so it must be true.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.