“The cantaloupe farmer that throws it farther?”

The Fierbaugh fireball shooter ????

EDIT:  NEW AND IMPROVED:

"The flaming fireball flinger from Firebaugh"

?????

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There’s some rational basis to Chris Simm’s point.  The Bills are able to shut down a superb run game by focusing on it, as they did to the Ravens in the playoffs last year.   But when a team like the Titans or the Colts has a superb strong physical run game, AND an accurate quick passing game supported by play action, the Bills defense can be “had”, as they were against the Titans and the Colts this season.  They somewhat sell out to stop the run, to the detriment of the pass defense.

The question is whether the Patriots run game is really on the same level as Henry with the Titans or Jonathan Taylor with the Colts?  They have a good run game - but they’re further down the NFL in ypg and ypa.  So I don’t think the Bills have to sacrifice their pass D as much to stop them.  And I could be wrong, but I think both Tannehill and Wentz have more escapability and ability to gain yards with their feet at need than Mac Jones does.

I'm going to push back a little on what you say about the NE run game. Let's look at their production in their 6-game winning streak (carries-yards-rushing TDs):

32-148-4 (long of 32)

39-142-1 (long of 14)

39-151-1 (long of 16)

34-184-2 (long of 22)

30-134-0 (long of 21)

24-105-1 (long of 19)

That is a ton of rushes per game and really big rushing numbers too (144 yards per game). Now the ypc over that stretch may not sound like much -- 4.36 -- but they're not getting breakaway runs that skew the stats. (They have one run that went longer than 22 yards, and 32 is hardly a ypc-skewer anyway.)  And they have 12 kneeldowns for -14 yards. Take those away, and you're magically at 4.72 ypc over this stretch. Moreover, there are also no long QB scrambles that are skewing the numbers either--Jones ran for 42 yards over those six games, with a high of 19 yards total vs. the Jets.

My point is that they're relentless with regard to churning out positive rushing yardage via the running backs, controlling the ball, and getting first downs. Over the course of these six games, here are the first down differentials between NE and their opponents: +14, +4, +4, +13, +9, and +5. 

Bottom line: it's a dominant, game-altering running game right now regardless of the ypc. We shouldn't assume it isn't based on a somewhat deceiving ypc.  The very large number of carries per game speaks to it as well. To quote Josef Stalin, "quantity has a quality all its own."

Finally, if you want to look at all of the games, they have one truly wacky outlier: the Tampa Bay game. They threw it 42 times and only ran it 8 times for -1 yards. That's right: negative 1 yards total.

Edited by dave mcbride

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm going to push back a little on what you say about the NE run game. Let's look at their production in their 6-game winning streak (carries-yards-rushing TDs):

32-148-4 (long of 32)

39-142-1 (long of 14)

39-151-1 (long of 16)

34-184-2 (long of 22)

30-134-0 (long of 21)

24-105-1 (long of 19)

That is a ton of rushes per game and really big rushing numbers too (144 yards per game). Now the ypc over that stretch may not sound like much -- 4.36 -- but they're not getting breakaway runs that skew the stats. (They have one run that went longer than 22 yards, and 32 is hardly a ypc-skewer anyway.)  And they have 12 kneeldowns for -14 yards. Take those away, and you're magically at 4.72 ypc over this stretch. And there are also no long QB scrambles that are skewing the numbers either--Jones ran for 42 yards over those six games, with a high of 19 yards total vs. the Jets.

My point is that they're relentless with regard to churning out positive yardage via the RB game, controlling the ball, and getting first downs. Over the course of these six games, here are the first down differentials between NE and their opponents: +14, +4, +4, +13, +9, and +5. 

Bottom line: it's a dominant, game-altering running game right now regardless of the ypc. We shouldn't assume it isn't based on a somewhat deceiving ypc. 

Patriots are going to pound the rock and throw 3-5 yard dump-off passes all night long, and dare us to stop that.

If we cheat up in the box, Jones will then pick mercilessly on whoever BB thinks is the absolute WORST of our substitute def. backs.

We have to be prepared for the their trickery!

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

OP I see you started this thread late last night.

Was Whiskey involved?

I ask not because I disagree.  This just seems uncharacteristically fiery for you.

We all go a little mad sometimes

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Paulus said:

It's all propaganda. 

it really is...the media is in so deep on this bucs vs pats potential superbowl storyline being a huge draw through the last half of the season and they are pushing it as hard as humanly possible.  i still dont believe the pats are one of the best teams in the afc but they will certainly have their shot to prove me wrong monday night lol  Feels very much like when they hyped up the 2020 Dolphins who were forcing absurd amounts of turnovers and destroying mediocre teams but I could definitely be wrong 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

During the Thursday night game, they showed a graphic of upcoming big games for the rest of the week.  

They showed 4 games side by side with their comic book drawing players above each matchup. Each matchup showed a pic of their “star” player of the matchup. 

They had the Ravens game (vs Pittsburg) with Lamar, The Chiefs (vs the Broncos) with Mahomes, and the Cardinals (vs the Bears) with Murray. 

For the Bills vs Pats game, they had Mac ***** Jones.  Are you kidding me?  That fat piece of ***** rookie is considered the star quarterback of that game?  

Okay, now I’m pissed. I hope Allen destroys them and does other things I can’t talk about because I will get banned.  I knew the media was on the Pats junk, but that’s just ridiculous. 

image.png.95137e8e3360a2cd4bd6bb9da1eaa39b.png

Nobody believes in us!

I think these networks and websites have learned they get more engagement on their posts or ads when they piss off Bills fans. This is why you get this stuff happening. 

Bills fans go nuts whenever someone or something slights or disrespects anything Bills related, especially when messing with Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

32-148-4 (long of 32)

39-142-1 (long of 14)

39-151-1 (long of 16)

34-184-2 (long of 22)

30-134-0 (long of 21)

24-105-1 (long of 19)

That is a ton of rushes per game and really big rushing numbers too (144 yards per game). Now the ypc over that stretch may not sound like much -- 4.36 -- but they're not getting breakaway runs that skew the stats. (They have one run that went longer than 22 yards, and 32 is hardly a ypc-skewer anyway.)  And they have 12 kneeldowns for -14 yards. Take those away, and you're magically at 4.72 ypc over this stretch. Moreover, there are also no long QB scrambles that are skewing the numbers either--Jones ran for 42 yards over those six games, with a high of 19 yards total vs. the Jets.

My point is that they're relentless with regard to churning out positive rushing yardage via the running backs, controlling the ball, and getting first downs. Over the course of these six games, here are the first down differentials between NE and their opponents: +14, +4, +4, +13, +9, and +5. 

Bottom line: it's a dominant, game-altering running game right now regardless of the ypc. We shouldn't assume it isn't based on a somewhat deceiving ypc.  The very large number of carries per game speaks to it as well. To quote Josef Stalin, "quantity has a quality all its own."

Finally, if you want to look at all of the games, they have one truly wacky outlier: the Tampa Bay game. They threw it 42 times and only ran it 8 times for -1 yards. That's right: negative 1 yards total.

Good post. and good point on the consistent, positive rushing yards and the ball control offense.

My point was that where I think the Bills struggle most, in stopping the run, is with stopping an elite RB such as King Henry, or Jonathan Taylor (whom Poyer described as the hardest to tackle).  Both of them are right at the top of the Next Gen Stats Fastest Ball Carriers list, and they're beasts too, especially Henry at 6'3" 247.

Let me see if I can articulate what I perceive.  Coach McDermott might disagree, but by and large, I would say the Bills have a "skills" defense.  It's based on everyone doing their 1-11th, being in the right place at the right time and doing their job.  But 1:1 with a physical freak like Taylor or Henry, we struggle - they can break tackles on us, Hyde can have perfect position and perfect form on an open field tackle and Henry can knock him flat and run over him.  And one miss, one bad angle, and they're gone.  We don't have the speed to run them down.

I don't want to sound like I'm taking the Pats run game lightly.  I think Harris and Stevenson are talented backs running behind a strong OL on well-designed plays.   But they're guys that we can manage if our defense plays technically sound defense within our scheme.

Minor nit but I think NFL charting calls a run >20 yds "long".

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.