Changing the gameplan due to weather

Miyagi-Do Karate

If there are 3 main offensive options, run, short passing, and long passing, I think high winds eliminate 2 of those options for the Pats* and one for the Bills.  If it is too windy for Allen to throw deep, it will be too windy for noodle arm Jones to throw short or deep.  It would have to be some serious wind to take away the short and intermediate passing for a guy with the arm strength of Allen.  High winds make the Pats* a running team while they most likely only take away the deep passes from the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Jeez! Every time I come on here the weather is worse and the winds are higher. Pretty soon people will be advancing the hyperbole to a hurricane and blizzard combined.

If it was hyperbole, it would be a deliberately exaggerated statement clearly meant to NOT be taken seriously.

It's OK; the term "hyperbole" along with "narrative" and some others that I hate somehow became common on these types of sports message boards a long time ago.

Anyway, you didn't mean "hyperbole" as most users of the term do not.

11 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

If there are 3 main offensive options, run, short passing, and long passing, I think high winds eliminate 2 of those options for the Pats* and one for the Bills.  If it is too windy for Allen to throw deep, it will be too windy for noodle arm Jones to throw short or deep.  It would have to be some serious wind to take away the short and intermediate passing for a guy with the arm strength of Allen.  High winds make the Pats* a running team while they most likely only take away the deep passes from the Bills.  

It depends on the actual weather.  It is a huge oversimplification to suggest Josh Allen = big arm, therefore he can throw in high winds where others can't.

If the wind is bad enough, no one is going to throw the ball.

19 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It depends on the actual weather.  It is a huge oversimplification to suggest Josh Allen = big arm, therefore he can throw in high winds where others can't.

If the wind is bad enough, no one is going to throw the ball.

Of course it depends on the actual weather.  If there are 50 mph winds, nobody is throwing the football.  If it is 20-30 mph gusts as predicted, the guy with the much stronger arm will generally be able to throw more effectively even if he is limited to shorter throws.

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i love how everyone thinks Josh is Ike Uncle Rico, and can throw the ball

over the mountains. No one can throw an accurate pass more than 5 yards in 60 MPH wind gusts! Even in 20

MPH winds, go and watch that Ravens/Bills playoff game— it was horrible. 40 attempts for 200 yards passing. 

i just think that if Daboll doesn’t specifically gameplan for this weather, it’s going to be a sloppy mess on offense for us. Errant throws, dropped balls, etc. 

napoleon dynamite rock throw GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Agreed.  But the game plan needs to include short and intermediate routes.  It can't be 40 rushes.  Unless Feliciano makes that big a difference, our line just isn't consistent enough to execute a run-heavy game plan.  

In general, trying to turn into that which we are not (a run team) is a HUGE MISTAKE for the Bills.

If we HAVE TO switch because of weather, could be a long night.

Let's hope Josh can still throw the ball, and I think that's what we should try and do.

We have all heard ad nauseam about how Josh was drafted for his strong arm to push the ball through the December winds of Orchard Park.

OK, show us, Josh.

(I personally think that is all a bunch of stupid rubbish).

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Agreed.  But the game plan needs to include short and intermediate routes.  It can't be 40 rushes.  Unless Feliciano makes that big a difference, our line just isn't consistent enough to execute a run-heavy game plan.  

Let's not forget that Feliciano, if healthy and playing well, will improve the line somewhat, but he fundamentally remains a HORRIBLE OFFENSIVE LINEMAN.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Muppy said:

I hate to say it but the horrific winds would imo work more against Allen and the bills than the pats.  The coin toss will be an important decision as always in wny  ......So Field position and scoring TD's also are paramount  because your kicking game will surely be affected. Warmups into the game will be telling how that is going to go.  Im of the "I love the outdoor ambiance but for the benefit of #17 dang a dome would be sweet. I'm torn.

GO BILLS

This feels a bit exaggerated imo...pats still rely on some intermediate passing routes to set the run up too and idk if mac really has the arm strength to limit the winds effect on the pass.  Airing out the ball deep would certainly be effected but Josh can throw absolute missiles...we've seen him be pretty effective in high winds before.  I think thats probably why were leaning away from a dome. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

In general, trying to turn into that which we are not (a run team) is a HUGE MISTAKE for the Bills.

If we HAVE TO switch because of weather, could be a long night.

Let's hope Josh can still throw the ball, and I think that's what we should try and do.

We have all heard ad nauseam about how Josh was drafted for his strong arm to push the ball through the December winds of Orchard Park.

OK, show us, Josh.

(I personally think that is all a bunch of stupid rubbish).

Let's not forget that Feliciano, if healthy and playing well, will improve the line somewhat, but he fundamentally remains a HORRIBLE OFFENSIVE LINEMAN.

i mean a horrible guy replacing a very horrible guy is still a huge win hahaha plus we can reshuffle some guys with brown back and put them in better positions to succeed.

15 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Weather like what's planned makes me wish we had a "Refrigerator" type FB!

Goodness gracious The REFRIGERATOR Perry what a memory that guy was a force LOL .....the sheer massiveness of his girth dude was widebody to say the least!

12 hours ago, without a drought said:

But would it hold up to the 200mph winds predicted for Monday.

If they don't build a dome, then they better start looking for a strong armed QB who can handle the Buffalo winds---and no Cali boys because none of them ever play well in the cold.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:49 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This isn’t another weather or dome thread— I promise!

in light of what is expected to be extraordinarily windy conditions on MNF, how do you think each team’s roster and gameplan changes, if at all? 

Here are a few thoughts I have had:

1) patriots defense goes back to man. From everything I have read, the Pats have gone increasingly zone (cover 2 shell, cover 4) over the last several weeks. With heavy wind, I would expect they could revert to man and loaded boxes— taking away the run and everything short and actually giving us the deep stuff.

2) Bills change up personnel and focus on run game. I am predicting that the Bills for the first time activate DS, Moss, and Breida for the same game, and that we may see two of the three in the backfield at the same time. This may be stating the obvious, but out of necessity, I would expect a run heavy offense. Lots of two TE formations.  Lots of sweeps. Designed QB runs. 

If they do that, they are toast. See bolded.

Edited by Rockinon

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.