Oh God, please no......SNF

Bubba Gump

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I like Collinsworth.  He says some stuff that really irritates me, but he sees the field really well and is good at pointing out the little things that some player did to make a play work.   Simms did that really well, Aikman's pretty good, and Romo can only do it on certain passing plays.  For a non-QB, Collinsworth is good at it. 

The news I like is that Michaels will be leaving.  Michaels has mailed it in for years.   All he seems to be interested in is reciting stats and slipping in comments about how the score looks compared to the spread.   Tirico is much better at actually calling the game.   

Is that confirmed? Tirico in for Al? Would be an upgrade for sure. 

I agree with you on Collinsworth. Sure at times he says cringey stuff but he breaks down the play better than any other color guy. 

On 12/2/2021 at 5:19 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

We’re spoiled.  Folks don’t remember the days of McGuire and Theismann?

I was young back in those days, like under 13 I think so maybe I was oblivious but I actually liked McGuire and Theismann. And there was a third guy too right?

Today the worst crew by far is the MNF crew. They have zero energy. The production is not well put together either. And Steve Levy butchers a lot of things. 

It sounds like we might see Michaels and Brees on Amazon Prime Thursday nights if I am reading it correctly that NBC and Amazon are still partnershiped with the Thursday night broadcast. 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't mind Al Michaels but I agree Tirico is good. One of ESPN's many mistakes letting him go. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with you on Collinsworth. Sure at times he says cringey stuff but he breaks down the play better than any other color guy. 

If you read the twitter pages attached to the OP, it's sounds fairly certain that Michaels is going to Amazon Prime to do Thursday night games.   This news about Collinsworth ends, sort of, the speculation that he would go with Michaels.   None of it is final yet, apparently, but it all makes sense to me.   Prime needs a big-name announcer for Thursday night, and they'll have to overpay.  They're not likely to want to overpay two.   If I were NBC, I'd be happy to let Michaels go, because they've been overpaying Tirico for a few years - when he was hired, it was assumed that Michaels was about to retire and Tirico would take that job.  Then Michaels decided not to retire, and Tirico's been hanging around, waiting.  

NBC already knows that Tirico and Collinsworth work well together, and Brees wasn't all that good as a commentator when he did color on a recent game.  So, I'd think Tirico and Collinsworth are likely to be the pair in 2022.  

• Agree 1

I don't have time or energy to hate anyone.

And, as far as announcers and commentators are concerned, they never annoy me.  There's not a crew out there that I dislike.   

Sometimes they tell me stuff I didn't notice or didn't know.  On the typical play, however, they add nothing at all because I have eyes and can see.  I just don't worry about what they add - or don't add. 

I only care about what's happening on the field, not what's happening in the booth.  An if I do get some insights from the crew in the booth, I count that as a bonus.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:43 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Dan Dierdorf was no treat either

Holy *****.  I had forgotten about him.  He was a horrible, ear grating, rage inducing... I don't know...  better stop now before have to find an old cathode ray tube to resume throwing things at.  Thanks man...

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Holy *****.  I had forgotten about him.  He was a horrible, ear grating, rage inducing... I don't know...  better stop now before have to find an old cathode ray tube to resume throwing things at.  Thanks man...

I've written this many times here in different threads over the years, but...

I always thought being an NFL TV broadcaster was a total dream job for millions of fans, and these guys get paid well too.  Are these jobs not incredibly competitive?  Is it not extremely difficult to end up with an NFL play-by-play or color analyst gig?

The quality of NFL TV broadcasting, in my lifetime (50 years old now) has largely been ATROCIOUS with a handful of really good broadcasters sprinkled in here and there.

In contrast, and generally speaking, MLB announcing is of a massively higher quality across the board.

So is NHL hockey announcing, especially if the announcer is Canadian.

But the NFL is just terrible.  What's up with that?

19 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't have time or energy to hate anyone.

And, as far as announcers and commentators are concerned, they never annoy me.  There's not a crew out there that I dislike.   

Sometimes they tell me stuff I didn't notice or didn't know.  On the typical play, however, they add nothing at all because I have eyes and can see.  I just don't worry about what they add - or don't add. 

I only care about what's happening on the field, not what's happening in the booth.  An if I do get some insights from the crew in the booth, I count that as a bonus.

I feel like this ALMOST 100% of the time. The one exception was the Booger crew during the Texans game. It was the first time and only game I saw with them. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.