AFC Playoff Picture: Week 14 Buffalo Bills rooting interests feature lots of divisional games — Really week 14 on page 3

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

They absolutely are. They are currently a Bills loss and a Raiders win away from being "in the hunt". The next two games could determine that. And the odds of going 0-2, 1-1 or 2-0 are all about 33% IMO. 

Five thirty eight ( for example) has Bills odds of making playoffs currently at 90%. Just a matter of perspective I guess. Your forecast seems a lot more pessimistic. 

4 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Five thirty eight ( for example) has Bills odds of making playoffs currently at 90%. Just a matter of perspective I guess. Your forecast seems a lot more pessimistic. 

If you look at it one week at a time the Bills are literally two games this week from being on the outside looking in. If you look at it big picture their odds are greater because 538 would assume everything evens out and the Bills would at worst get a wild card spot when the dust settles. But when you are one loss and one win away from being in the hunt as opposed to being the 7th seed I would say that is close to missing the playoffs. Really it shows how tight the AFC is because I believe they are also a win and a couple losses this week away from being the #1 seed or maybe #2 with the Titans on a bye this week. Although if the Bills, Titans, Bengals, Ravens and Chiefs all ended the week at 8-4 I'm not sure how the tie breakers would work for the #1 seed. And yes that is a possibility. Crazy that the Bills could either be in a virtual tie for the 1 seed by Tuesday morning or sitting in the 8 spot. 

40 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If you look at it one week at a time the Bills are literally two games this week from being on the outside looking in. If you look at it big picture their odds are greater because 538 would assume everything evens out and the Bills would at worst get a wild card spot when the dust settles. But when you are one loss and one win away from being in the hunt as opposed to being the 7th seed I would say that is close to missing the playoffs. Really it shows how tight the AFC is because I believe they are also a win and a couple losses this week away from being the #1 seed or maybe #2 with the Titans on a bye this week. Although if the Bills, Titans, Bengals, Ravens and Chiefs all ended the week at 8-4 I'm not sure how the tie breakers would work for the #1 seed. And yes that is a possibility. Crazy that the Bills could either be in a virtual tie for the 1 seed by Tuesday morning or sitting in the 8 spot. 

Sitting at 7-4 I would say 11-6 guarantees a playoff spot. Wins against the Panthers, Falcons, Jets are a must. They can't "Jacksonville" any of those games. Get at least one win vs NE(2) and Tampa. A win Monday goes a long way in putting the Bills in a great spot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Greg S said:

Sitting at 7-4 I would say 11-6 guarantees a playoff spot. Wins against the Panthers, Falcons, Jets are a must. They can't "Jacksonville" any of those games. Get at least one win vs NE(2) and Tampa. A win Monday goes a long way in putting the Bills in a great spot.

Fortunately all 3 lay ups are at home, increasing the odds we win those.

Last week was a pretty good outcome all things considered. Let's hope for the same this week, capped off by a Bills win on Monday night. Here are my thoughts . . .

Pittsburgh Steelers (5-5-1) over Baltimore Ravens (8-3), Line: Ravens by 4 . . . I think the Steelers pull off the minor upset, Raven averaging 18 points in their last four games, and the Steelers can run and stopping the run game is a Raven D weakness.

Las Vegas Raiders (6-5) over the Washington Football Team (5-6), Line: Raiders by 2.5 . . . Raiders at home, they win.

Houston Texans (2-9) over Indianapolis Colts (6-6) Line: Colts by 9.5 . . . Colts

Las Vegas Chargers (6-5) over Cincinnati Bengals (7-4) Line: Bengals by 3  [ 😂 ] . . . The mercurial Chargers pull it out

Denver Broncos (6-5) over Kansas City Chiefs (7-4)  Line: Chiefs by 9.5 . . . In KC, the Chiefs take care of business.

New York Giants over Miami Dolphins (5-7), Line: Dolphins by 4.5 . . . Jones out, Giants done, the Fish win at home

If I am on, not a lot of help for the Bills this week. The best thing they can do, not worry about the others and put a Can of Ash Whoop'en on the Pats and take control of the Division again.

On 12/2/2021 at 6:00 PM, Adam727 said:

This is a weird week.  I don't know that I agree with a lot of these.  I guess it depends on if you're rooting based on what gives the Bills the best chance at the #1 seed or what gets the Bills get into the playoffs, because I think a lot of these outcomes would hurt the Bills' chances of making the playoffs more than help.  

Go big or go home. Now lets sweep the *Pats.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Last week was a pretty good outcome all things considered. Let's hope for the same this week, capped off by a Bills win on Monday night. Here are my thoughts . . .

Pittsburgh Steelers (5-5-1) over Baltimore Ravens (8-3), Line: Ravens by 4 . . . I think the Steelers pull off the minor upset, Raven averaging 18 points in their last four games, and the Steelers can run and stopping the run game is a Raven D weakness.

Las Vegas Raiders (6-5) over the Washington Football Team (5-6), Line: Raiders by 2.5 . . . Raiders at home, they win.

Houston Texans (2-9) over Indianapolis Colts (6-6) Line: Colts by 9.5 . . . Colts

Las Vegas Chargers (6-5) over Cincinnati Bengals (7-4) Line: Bengals by 3  [ 😂 ] . . . The mercurial Chargers pull it out

Denver Broncos (6-5) over Kansas City Chiefs (7-4)  Line: Chiefs by 9.5 . . . In KC, the Chiefs take care of business.

New York Giants over Miami Dolphins (5-7), Line: Dolphins by 4.5 . . . Jones out, Giants done, the Fish win at home

If I am on, not a lot of help for the Bills this week. The best thing they can do, not worry about the others and put a Can of Ash Whoop'en on the Pats and take control of the Division again.

If all this happens and the Bills do not win Monday I believe the Bills fall all the way down to the 8 spot. With the Raiders, Chargers and Bengals holding the three wild cards. Hardly a guarantee that the Raiders can beat WFT though. 

Vice versa the Bills could be in a four way tie for the #1 seed if the above happens and the Bills win Monday night. Wild how tight the standings are when you can win or lose one game and it could mean a virtual tie for the 1 seed or no playoffs seeding at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:54 AM, CSBill said:

Pittsburgh Steelers (5-5-1) over Baltimore Ravens (8-3), Line: Ravens by 4 . . . I think the Steelers pull off the minor upset, Raven averaging 18 points in their last four games, and the Steelers can run and stopping the run game is a Raven D weakness. ..... YES! = Help towards top seed

Las Vegas Raiders (6-5) over the Washington Football Team (5-6), Line: Raiders by 2.5 . . . Raiders at home, they win. ..... No! = But good news for the Bills. We'll take it

Houston Texans (2-9) over Indianapolis Colts (6-6) Line: Colts by 9.5 . . . Colts ..... YES! = Colts inch closer

Las Vegas Chargers (6-5) over Cincinnati Bengals (7-4) Line: Bengals by 3  [ 😂 ] . . . The mercurial Chargers pull it out ..... YES! = This is the best of results, both stay behind the Bills

Denver Broncos (6-5) over Kansas City Chiefs (7-4)  Line: Chiefs by 9.5 . . . In KC, the Chiefs take care of business. ..... YES! Chiefs hang around, Broncos about done.

New York Giants over Miami Dolphins (5-7), Line: Dolphins by 4.5 . . . Jones out, Giants done, the Fish win at home ..... YES! = Fish inching back in to the play-off race

Bottom line = A Win is a huge play-off boost and keeps us in the #1 seed battle, a loss is not good, but also not devastating--still #7, but lose a bunch of tie-breakers because if poor conference record. "Just Win Baby!"

Most current play-off standings:

New England   8-4

Tennessee       8-4

Baltimore         8-4

Kansas City     8-4

Buffalo             7-4

LA Chargers    7-5

Cincinnati        7-5

Rooting Interests in actual week 14:

Bills over Bucs (duh)

Vikings over Steelers

49ers over Bengals

Lions over Broncos

Giants over Chargers

Ravens/Browns - hard to tell, both have games they could lose down the stretch.

Raiders/Chiefs - another one hard to tell.  Raiders kind of struggling but a win in KC could light a fire under them to make a run.

Washington over Dallas - Not Bills related, would just be fun to watch.

Edited by Talley56
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/4/2021 at 12:10 AM, Bills fan since 87 said:

Fortunately all 3 lay ups are at home, increasing the odds we win those.

Why?  There hasn't been a home field advantage in the league for several years now.

We've also already lost 3 games at home! 

Don't get me wrong, I think we win the 3 "lay up" games easily. 

On 12/2/2021 at 11:38 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

They absolutely are. They are currently a Bills loss and a Raiders win away from being "in the hunt". The next two games could determine that. And the odds of going 0-2, 1-1 or 2-0 are all about 33% IMO. 

The NY Times simulator says if we LOSE to Tampa and New England, but win the 3 easy games, we have a 89% chance of making the playoffs.  How is that close to missing the playoffs?

Are you assuming we are going to drop one (or more) of the 3 "easy" games?

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Why?  There hasn't been a home field advantage in the league for several years now.

We've also already lost 3 games at home! 

Don't get me wrong, I think we win the 3 "lay up" games easily. 

The NY Times simulator says if we LOSE to Tampa and New England, but win the 3 easy games, we have a 89% chance of making the playoffs.  How is that close to missing the playoffs?

Are you assuming we are going to drop one (or more) of the 3 "easy" games?

I would assume the Bills lose 2 out of the next three they will officially be "in the hunt". Maybe not, but most likely. Yes, they can gain ground back by winning the final two (likely) and having a team or two lose a game or two in the final two weeks. But that is all projection. I'm only talking about what we actually know and that was that the Bills were a loss and Raiders win away from being "in the hunt". 

14 hours ago, Talley56 said:

Rooting Interests in actual week 14:

Bills over Bucs (duh)

Vikings over Steelers

49ers over Bengals

Lions over Broncos

Giants over Chargers

Ravens/Browns - hard to tell, both have games they could lose down the stretch.

Raiders/Chiefs - another one hard to tell.  Raiders kind of struggling but a win in KC could light a fire under them to make a run.

Washington over Dallas - Not Bills related, would just be fun to watch.

WSH over DAL would increase our strength of victory a little bit

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2021/12/9/22826704/afc-playoff-picture-bills-rooting-interests-for-week-14

Minnesota Vikings over Pittsburgh Steelers (6-5-1)

New York Giants over Los Angeles Chargers (7-5)

San Francisco 49ers over Cincinnati Bengals (7-5)

Kansas City Chiefs (8-4) over Las Vegas Raiders (6-6) 

Baltimore Ravens (8-4) over Cleveland Browns (6-6)

Detroit Lions over Denver Broncos (6-6)

Jacksonville Jaguars over Tennessee Titans (8-4)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.