4th down: let’s go for it !

Italian Bills

Every time i watch a Bills game, i think this: if i was the HC i would say to my offensive players to play always thinking they have four attempts and not three to get the first down, when they are in opponent’s territory. 
I know that lately, always more frequently, we see teams go for it on fourth and one… but i’m talking about having always the mindset to have four attempts and not three to gain the ten yards. 
I think it could be mentally different play like this.. it would help to know that you have to get less than three yards per attempt on every down to get the first down. 

What you think ? 

Edited by Italian Bills

23 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

Every time i watch a Bills game, i think this: if i was the HC i would say to my offensive players to play always thinking they have four attempts and not three to get the first down, when they are in opponent’s territory. 
I know that lately, always more frequently, we see teams go for it on fourth and one… but i’m talking about having always the mindset to have four attempts and not three to gain the ten yards. 
I think it could be mentally different play like this.. it would help to know that you have to get less than three yards per attempt on every down to get the first down. 

What you think ? 

I think you would be unemployed at the NFL level. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

How is 3 yards per attempt so much better than 3.3?

Mind games. I think you're overthinking it.

On a related note, the trend of going for it simply because "analytics says so" is beginning to annoy me. Some coaches want to go for it regardless of how their team is performing. If you're team is struggling into FG range and losing the battle in the trenches, then kick the FG. Take the points. If your team just cruised into FG range on an easy drive and is winning the trenches, then go for it. Ride the momentum.

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Kevin Kelley pretty much never punts, always goes for it on 4th down and won 9 Arkansas State Championships in 18 years.  He also frequently onside kicks too.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/05/21/kevin-kelley-high-school-never-punts-presbyterian

High school football?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Really?  Because going for it is the right call.  Simple math shows that.

oh really. 

Bass - O - Matic is $. 

The Tenny game - Take the 3 and live for OT.  

Jax 4 th and 14 (again) Take the 3 and live for OT.  

Coaching lost the opportunity twice in 3 weeks.   

They would be top dog with only 2 losses 

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Play To Win New York Jets GIF

HELLO. And the Bills LOST 

😆 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Kevin Kelley pretty much never punts, always goes for it on 4th down and won 9 Arkansas State Championships in 18 years.  He also frequently onside kicks too.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/05/21/kevin-kelley-high-school-never-punts-presbyterian

The 4th down thing makes total sense in the right situation at every level. The onside kick has terrible odds at most levels. Onside kicks would only work at the high school level if you have a team that dominates its opponents in every phase. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

The 4th down thing makes total sense in the right situation at every level. The onside kick has terrible odds at most levels. Onside kicks would only work at the high school level if you have a team that dominates its opponents in every phase. 

Oh I agree...just was letting the OP know there is someone who does it he can take a look at

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I think it’s stupid if you need 3 points to tie and go for it on 4th and 1 at the goal line and get stuffed

Haha true the hindsight was bad on that one 😂 tough to pick up a crucial yard on a 4th down when your oline is struggling in one on one matchups. I really thought they were starting to pick up in that game and the titans dline was getting gassed which might have factored into the decision but they made the play that counted…crazy how different this season would look if we won that game even with our bad colts loss

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Italian Bills said:

What you think ? 

I think we have lost games getting too cocky.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think we have lost games getting too cocky.

Bills have done pretty good the times they do go for it on 4th down. Sure there are few times they didn't convert, but I wouldn't say that's why they lost games. McD has confidence in the offense and they convert more often than not

2 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

What you think ? 

If the team knows it will use 4 downs to get the first down, sure, it definitely is an advantage to have 4 plays to work with to get 10 yards instead of just 3.

That's one of the reasons why it is sometimes much wiser to go for it than to punt the ball.

But would there be some psychological benefit to the players making them play better if you told them to "think like they are going to use 4 downs" ????

I don't think so.  Or if there is one, it's so small as to be insignificant.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.