Nicotine withdrawal is a wonder

Draconator

I quit smoking New Years Eve 2019. I have been chewing Nicotine gum ever since, but the lowest milligram level possible. (2mg). 

Yesterday I decided to just chew regular gum, as I (or so I thought) was getting more satisfaction from the flavor of the gum, rather than the nicotine itself. 

I feel like I stopped smoking 3 packs a day, cold-turkey. I was chewing about 15 to 20 pieces of the 2 mg gum per day. This feeling of somewhat intense withdrawal symptoms is a bit surprising. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I used the gum to quit about 10 years ago.  I used to chew one and then cheek it for a while.  When I got the urge I'd chew it a bit then cheek it.   I'd use one piece for 8-10 hours.     Try to chew one piece 4 hours while cheeking it.  Then slowly keep it in longer each time.    Try that.  

And Good Luck!  You got this! 

Edited by Toomstone.Part.Duex
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

I used the gum to quit about 10 years ago.  I used to chew one and then cheek it for a while.  When I got the urge I'd chew it a bit then cheek it.   I'd use one piece for 8-10 hours.     Try to chew one piece 4 hours while cheeking it.  Then slowly keep it in longer each time.    Try that.  

I'm afraid there's no way I could keep one piece in for 4 hours. I've grown accustomed to when the flavor is gone, out goes the old piece and in goes the new piece. 

I'll just power through the symptoms. You're right when you said "I got this"!

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

I'm afraid there's no way I could keep one piece in for 4 hours. I've grown accustomed to when the flavor is gone, out goes the old piece and in goes the new piece. 

I'll just power through the symptoms. You're right when you said "I got this"!

Have you considered the patch?  You can get free ones through NYS Quits.  I used them to successfully quit for three years.  Used the patches for about a month, then I was done.

Unfortunately, after three years, I began smoking again and am still trying to quit.  I have patches, but I'm still working on getting there, mentally - which is important.

I have begun trying to not smoke at normal trigger times ... specifically in my car.  That's gone very well (I have a one hour commute each way for work).  I was smoking 3-4 cigarettes each way.   Now that's down to zero.

You DO got this.  And I got this.  And everyone who is struggling to quit has got this.

Best of luck to you, brother.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Another trick that helped me is when I'd get the urge I'd take a deep breath, hold it for 10-15 sec and slowly let it out.   A few of those and it helped.   

I've tried the patch, that one medication (I would of been in jail for murder if I stayed on that. It was horrible) and the gum finally worked.   

Good luck!!  

My sister smoked cigarettes for over 20 years.

One day she got a severe ear infection, although it was more than that. She had dizziness and nausea.

The thought of smoking made her sick.

After she saw a doctor, they were able to help her with the infection, and she was fine.

Since that time, she has never smoked a cigarette. Never had the urge to again.

• Like (+1) 1

Good luck quitting! It's worth it!

I smoked for seven years, quitting twice, each time for a few months. My wife and I decided to quit together when we got married. I don't remember which one of us brought it up, but we agreed instantly. It wasn't as difficult as we thought, probably because we had each other for support. (And we found better ways to satisfy the oral fixation 😉 .)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

Also..  Stay away from your triggers.  I had to stop going out for Friday Happy Hour for about 2-3 months.    If I wanted a cocktail I'd shake one up at home and chew the hell out of that gum.   

The only thing I would have to worry about is a gig, and thankfully the next one is Jan 7th, so I should be good then. 

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

The only thing I would have to worry about is a gig, and thankfully the next one is Jan 7th, so I should be good then. 

What you play?   I'm too busy when I gig to do anything.  Setting up my kit and between sets I'm usually chuggin a water.  haha   Plus I don't drink when I play.  It's hard enough to play drums.  

On 12/2/2021 at 2:48 PM, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

I quit cold turkey on Super Bowl Sunday 1988, though I only smoked half a pack a day so my habit was less than others. I would have dreams I was smoking for over a year, but I never picked up a cig again.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/2/2021 at 2:33 PM, Draconator said:

I quit smoking New Years Eve 2019. I have been chewing Nicotine gum ever since, but the lowest milligram level possible. (2mg). 

Yesterday I decided to just chew regular gum, as I (or so I thought) was getting more satisfaction from the flavor of the gum, rather than the nicotine itself. 

I feel like I stopped smoking 3 packs a day, cold-turkey. I was chewing about 15 to 20 pieces of the 2 mg gum per day. This feeling of somewhat intense withdrawal symptoms is a bit surprising. 

You gotta get off all that stuff, man.

I quit cold turkey like 9 years ago and haven't had a puff since.

I found the first week to be torturous.  One of the harder things I've done.  The second week was very hard, but better.

By the time week 3 and 4 got around, it was way, way better.

Now, I don't ever think about having a cigarette ever, and when I pass someone outside smoking and you get that whiff of second-hand smoke, it turns my stomach.

• Thank you (+1) 2

You've eliminated one Nicotine injection method (smoking) now you need to work on eliminating the other injection method (gum). Once you get the Nicotine out of your system it'll become easier.

When I decided to quit my 2 pack a day habit, I started slow, eliminating a couple a day every few weeks. Then I cut it to one pack a day for a couple months. Then a quarter pack a day etc... The new year came and I had 2 packs left, smoked two a day til that pack was gone and then one a day for the final pack. By that point I couldn't stand the smell anymore. Feb 2022 will be 4 years tobacco free.

Slowly cut back on the gum until the cravings leave, you can do this !!! ... Good luck

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.