Great TBN Article on the Patriots (fan-sided perspective)

Hapless Bills Fan

There was a day I felt bad for the Pats.  John Hannah, Ben Coates and Andre Tippett were stud players that any team would have loved to have stuck with a bad organization.

Then, 21 years ago in JAN  2000 the Pats send a 2000 1st Rd Pick (#16) to the NYJ for a new Coach - Bill Belichick. Who trades for a coach?   The Jets used that pick to move up and take Shaun Ellis as they went into Day 1 with 4 First Round picks.  

In same draft the Pats took Tom Brady in Rd 6

And so it began

THE HATE

Why waste emotional energy on hate???

I don't hate any team.  I don't hate any player.  I don't hate any coach.  

I've been to war.  I don't hate the soldiers who were trying to kill me and my guys.  Why would I hate someone who plays a game for another team?  Or roots for a team other than the one I love?  

I get there's no love for the Pats.  But I don't get the hate.  Life's too short to spend any part of it on that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't like admitting this, but... I think what I haaaate the most about the Pats* isn't their evil-genius HC, their corrupt organization, their annoying past dominance in the AFCE, or their long, and storied history of cheating. It's their fanbase.

I know lots of them. I have numerous family members (from my wife's side), and co-workers who are Pats* fans. I have friends who are Pats* fans. They're all good people. But, when it comes to the team, and especially on game day, or in football discussions, they turn into the worst douchebags you'll ever meet. The smarmy chest-thumping, and endless gloating, and the reality-twisting narratives of "they hate us for our success," and "ALL teams cheat..." and "GOAT this, and GOAT that..." It's sickening. Every sentence from the MFs ends with some LOL emoji. 

And let's stop calling them the New England Patriots*. People in Vermont hate them as much as the rest of the country, and Maine follows hockey. Hell, there's even a big chunk of Western Mass that hates the Patriots* They're the Boston Patriots*. F*** them.

It's all of the above.

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

And let's stop calling them the New England Patriots*. People in Vermont hate them as much as the rest of the country, and Maine follows hockey. Hell, there's even a big chunk of Western Mass that hates the Patriots* They're the Boston Patriots*. F*** them.

Ohh no, that is DEFINITELY not true about Vermont... unfortunately the family on my father's side in northeastern Vermont, better known as the NEK, are all Cheatriots fans. It's a really depressing thing to see and Boston fans in general are the worst in sports IMHO. I've hated them for years and seeing them transform from insufferable whining losers to insufferable gloating winners has been even worse. It's disgusting...

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Pats message board has 2 bills threads.  Is anyone still worried about the bills and the MNF pregame thread.  

Lol ‘still’ I don’t think anyone even knows we’re getting a bunch of important guys in the trenches back. My favorite part if we win this game will be how the whole ‘the bills are inconsistent’ narrative is going to be played up even more when it’s pretty obvious why we lost the games we did 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Pats message board has 2 bills threads.  Is anyone still worried about the bills and the MNF pregame thread.  

Makes sense.  They've owned us, not the other way around.

I'm a Yankees fan, and I always notice the reverse.  Even now after the Red Sox success, Yankees fans almost never talk about the Red Sox outside of the head-to-head match ups.  But when I check a Red Sox board, they're basically obsessed w/ everything NY.

17 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Lol ‘still’ I don’t think anyone even knows we’re getting a bunch of important guys in the trenches back. My favorite part if we win this game will be how the whole ‘the bills are inconsistent’ narrative is going to be played up even more when it’s pretty obvious why we lost the games we did 

Yeah, I can see that.   

while I’m excited to get the trenches back, I expect the pats to attack the outside more so than the middle.  I expect BB to force Levi and Dane to tackle and make plays.  Don’t get me wrong, they’ll be pounding up the gut too, but I think it’ll be an even dose of inside and out, with the big plays coming on the outside.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, I can see that.   

while I’m excited to get the trenches back, I expect the pats to attack the outside more so than the middle.  I expect BB to force Levi and Dane to tackle and make plays.  Don’t get me wrong, they’ll be pounding up the gut too, but I think it’ll be an even dose of inside and out, with the big plays coming on the outside.

Yea should be interesting…our team is tough to gauge we really had one terrible defensive performance and we were missing a lot of defensive pieces in a matchup where those guys were at a premium…I thought we actually did a decent job against Henry in the other game we gave up a lot of points and that titans offense at full strength is a tier or two above the pats talent wise

30 minutes ago, Success said:

Makes sense.  They've owned us, not the other way around.

I'm a Yankees fan, and I always notice the reverse.  Even now after the Red Sox success, Yankees fans almost never talk about the Red Sox outside of the head-to-head match ups.  But when I check a Red Sox board, they're basically obsessed w/ everything NY.

They certainly could win the game but it seems like their fans have a bit of a false sense of security about how tough this game will be because we got nuked by the colts and they see themselves as a better version of the colts.  The NY Times had an article about how we’re destined for a pats bucs Superbowl…these are crazy times lol I feel like wishful thinking has supplanted logic at this point…i don’t even see the bucs getting past the packers…as bills fans surviving years of being bad we have developed a negative wishful thinking haha this whole psychological phenomenon is baffling like I feel like it’s fair to say at worst for us this is a 50/50 game and people are frustrated that it’s potentially a 50/50 game so we’re talking like we’ve already lost 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They certainly could win the game but it seems like their fans have a bit of a false sense of security about how tough this game will be because we got nuked by the colts and they see themselves as a better version of the colts.  The NY Times had an article about how we’re destined for a pats bucs Superbowl…these are crazy times lol I feel like wishful thinking has supplanted logic at this point…i don’t even see the bucs getting past the packers…as bills fans surviving years of being bad we have developed a negative wishful thinking haha this whole psychological phenomenon is baffling like I feel like it’s fair to say at worst for us this is a 50/50 game and people are frustrated that it’s potentially a 50/50 game so we’re talking like we’ve already lost 😂

Psychology is a weird thing in sports.  I definitely have some doom in me w/ all of the experience I've had - and I know I felt VERY different in the early '90's, particularly during and after that 1st SB run.

After that post I responded to, I checked out that Pats board - they have an "embrace the hate" thread too where the Bills get a lot of play, not favorable.  It's a pretty shocking contrast compared to this board.  It's entitlement personified.  They may be set up for another long run - or not. But they certainly believe they are.  Just add water.

Edited by Success

11 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea should be interesting…our team is tough to gauge we really had one terrible defensive performance and we were missing a lot of defensive pieces in a matchup where those guys were at a premium…I thought we actually did a decent job against Henry in the other game we gave up a lot of points and that titans offense at full strength is a tier or two above the pats talent wise

They certainly could win the game but it seems like their fans have a bit of a false sense of security about how tough this game will be because we got nuked by the colts and they see themselves as a better version of the colts.  The NY Times had an article about how we’re destined for a pats bucs Superbowl…these are crazy times lol I feel like wishful thinking has supplanted logic at this point…i don’t even see the bucs getting past the packers…as bills fans surviving years of being bad we have developed a negative wishful thinking haha 

If this happens that is one SB Sunday I will not watch....not even a little bit.  I didn't watch their rematch earlier this year.  Plus if that happens Vegas is all over that one and the reason for it.  To me games seemed a little fixed this year since they legalized gambling IMO.

1 minute ago, wagne591 said:

If this happens that is one SB Sunday I will not watch....not even a little bit.  I didn't watch their rematch earlier this year.  Plus if that happens Vegas is all over that one and the reason for it.  To me games seemed a little fixed this year since they legalized gambling IMO.

I think the pats have a better chance than the bucs not sure how hot or a take that is though…pats aren’t really built well to knock out a bunch of playoff caliber opponents in a row though so I don’t give that matchup much of a chance…and the bucs have a gauntlet of tough nfc teams to wade through. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.