Great TBN Article on the Patriots (fan-sided perspective)

Hapless Bills Fan

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/erik-brady-hate-is-such-a-strong-word-but-when-it-comes-to-the-new/article_3b64e054-52a9-11ec-a837-7f00c49b8f38.html

STOP HATE.  That’s what it says, in caps, on the back of Josh Allen’s helmet.  Shouldn’t there be an asterisk? *Except for the Patriots.

We hate the New England Patriots.

This is true almost everywhere except New England’s own half-dozen states. The Pats are reviled from sea to shining sea – especially so in Buffalo. We reserve for them a visceral, no-holds-barred hate normally reserved for Darth Vader and ice storms in April.

Western New Yorkers hate-watched on Sunday as the Pats thumped the Tennessee Titans, 36-13. “Haaaate both these teams,” tweeted Bills Mafia co-founder Del Reid, and those added vowels really capture the spirit of the thing.

Some prime stuff there.

As I write this, I can hear Josh Allen in an interview, gathering his thoughts a moment and saying gently to us "That's the difference between being a fan, and being a professional.  When you're a professional, it's just the next game".

But this time, it's the next game with the division lead and possibly a chance at the playoffs on the line.  So I'll have extra Salt with that Asterisk, please.

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1

I don't like admitting this, but... I think what I haaaate the most about the Pats* isn't their evil-genius HC, their corrupt organization, their annoying past dominance in the AFCE, or their long, and storied history of cheating. It's their fanbase.

I know lots of them. I have numerous family members (from my wife's side), and co-workers who are Pats* fans. I have friends who are Pats* fans. They're all good people. But, when it comes to the team, and especially on game day, or in football discussions, they turn into the worst douchebags you'll ever meet. The smarmy chest-thumping, and endless gloating, and the reality-twisting narratives of "they hate us for our success," and "ALL teams cheat..." and "GOAT this, and GOAT that..." It's sickening. Every sentence from the MFs ends with some LOL emoji. 

And let's stop calling them the New England Patriots*. People in Vermont hate them as much as the rest of the country, and Maine follows hockey. Hell, there's even a big chunk of Western Mass that hates the Patriots* They're the Boston Patriots*. F*** them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't like admitting this, but... I think what I haaaate the most about the Pats* isn't their evil-genius HC, their corrupt organization, their annoying past dominance in the AFCE, or their long, and storied history of cheating. It's their fanbase.

I know lots of them. I have numerous family members (from my wife's side), and co-workers who are Pats* fans. I have friends who are Pats* fans. They're all good people. But, when it comes to the team, and especially on game day, or in football discussions, they turn into the worst douchebags you'll ever meet. The smarmy chest-thumping, and endless gloating, and the reality-twisting narratives of "they hate us for our success," and "ALL teams cheat..." and "GOAT this, and GOAT that..." It's sickening. Every sentence from the MFs ends with some LOL emoji. 

And let's stop calling them the New England Patriots*. People in Vermont hate them as much as the rest of the country, and Maine follows hockey. Hell, there's even a big chunk of Western Mass that hates the Patriots* They're the Boston Patriots*. F*** them.

Nailed it.

Not popular here, but I respect Belichick & Brady. I'm a fan of the game as well as of the Bills, and what they accomplished together is remarkable. I used to "hate" Jordan as a Knicks fan - but when I took my kids to the HOF, I was like, "I saw the flu game!"  I marvel at what he's done now.

The fans are another story. I have quite a few friends up that way, and I really avoid sports talk w/ them in general.  All the "hate us cuz they ain't us" jealousy stuff is right there in the mirror for so many of the older fans who hated the Yankees the same way, and STILL do to this day though they have had 15+ years of success against them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The worst part about Patriots fans is none of them were 20 years ago. 

Yeah you ask them about Grogan or Beldsoe and they look at you like you're trying pronounce the name of products in an Ikea catalog.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

There actually were.  I have a good friend who's a Pats fan and a totally decent guy even while watching Pats football.

But he's my age,started his fandom in the Dark Days of the late 60s, and lived through the '80s and early '90s when they were the Patsies and a perennially bad team.

We have a Pats fan on this forum who can comment knowledgeably about on Tony Eason.

So they do exist.

13 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Hey Bills Fans - Pat*s fans are flooding this thread on the r/NFL sub-reddit - get out there and support the team.  

***** that ***** ***** let them leak.  Let them flood.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The quickest way to shut up a "die hard" Pats* fan is to ask them to name 3 Pats* players before the Brady era.  95% of them will look at you like you just asked them to explain cold fusion.

Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There actually were.  I have a good friend who's a Pats fan and a totally decent guy even while watching Pats football.

But he's my age,started his fandom in the Dark Days of the late 60s, and lived through the '80s and early '90s when they were the Patsies and a perennially bad team.

We have a Pats fan on this forum who can comment knowledgeably about on Tony Eason.

So they do exist.

***** that ***** ***** let them leak.  Let them flood.

It's true, I married one...  Her favorite player other than Brady is Steve Grogan.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp

4 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Lol, was wondering if anyone was going to say, "another Pats thread"  this time

Pats message board has 2 bills threads.  Is anyone still worried about the bills and the MNF pregame thread.  

39 minutes ago, uninja said:

Yeah you ask them about Grogan or Beldsoe and they look at you like you're trying pronounce the name of products in an Ikea catalog.

Ask a lot of the Bills fans you see in the stands about Joe Ferguson, Joe Cribbs or the WR duo of Butler and Lewis and you'll get the same odd stare.

Just happens that there are a lot of younger NFL fans these days. And the younger Pat fans just grew up in it...which is why they have that air of entitlement.

17 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

The quickest way to shut up a "die hard" Pats* fan is to ask them to name 3 Pats* players before the Brady era.  95% of them will look at you like you just asked them to explain cold fusion.

Lol, yeah this is true. I have experienced it with a few different "Pats fans". If they did name anyone before Brady it was Bledsoe, or C. Martin. Most of the time was Bledsoe though.

20 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Even I can do that… but barely 

flutie

grogan

fair catch fryar 

7 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I’ve mad much success with asking them to name the QB before Bledsoe 

Yup, that's right. But these particular ones claim they are "die hard for life, loyal like a german shepherd raised from a puppy". And would be 40+ yrs old, so should know if a fan since childhood. lol

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

1 hour ago, uninja said:

Ironically, I know a bunch of Pats fans, and they all have strong and informed opinions about Grogan, Tony Eason, and Kenneth Sims.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.