Autism

Thriftygamer83

Let's be frank and real here, how many of us on the forums have high functioning autism, how many of us try stimming behaviors during the day, and how many of us have internal clocks?  As someone with Aspergers, having two sons with it, and having watched folks ask if I'm okay I say it's better to be frankly honest.  In answering questions and to relax and get to know folks a little more.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think there's something that most of us have, that for one reason or another, has not come up in conversation. You would never know they are dealing with "x". 

I have Bipolar I with Rapid Cycling. Thankfully I have found a medication that has kept it under great control, and found a wife that understands it and helps me through any cycling episodes I may be having. 

What is the biggest issue you have with Aspergers? 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I think there's something that most of us have, that for one reason or another, has not come up in conversation. You would never know they are dealing with "x". 

I have Bipolar I with Rapid Cycling. Thankfully I have found a medication that has kept it under great control, and found a wife that understands it and helps me through any cycling episodes I may be having. 

What is the biggest issue you have with Aspergers? 

Trying to use my words, which is really fun as my oldest, and youngest boy are on the spectrum.  As well as getting stuck on one issue.  

• Like (+1) 1

greetings, I am a mom to a high functioning aspie and as being her mom I have learned a lot But IMO it would be better if she took time to talk to you herself. Do you think thats a good idea? I will ask her and show her the thread in any case. Maybe your kids might enjoy this?? 🙂

talk to you soon hopefully 🙂

Edited by Muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My wife is a dyslexia therapist, and a couple of her students also have Aspergers. I showed her your answer, and here are her questions as a follow up:

Do you have issues with print/printed words?
Do you have any troubles getting the words in your head written down on paper? 

2 minutes ago, Muppy said:

greetings, I am a mom to a high functioning aspie and as being her mom I have learned a lot But IMO it would be better if she took time to talk to you herself. Do you think thats a good idea? I will ask her and show her the thread in any case.

If you look down the thread list probably page 2 or so you will see a thread I posted regarding Katrina. 

talk to you soon hopefully 🙂

Muppy, that's an excellent idea having your amazingly talented daughter reach out! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Draconator said:

My wife is a dyslexia therapist, and a couple of her students also have Aspergers. I showed her your answer, and here are her questions as a follow up:

Do you have issues with print/printed words?
Do you have any troubles getting the words in your head written down on paper? 

Muppy, that's an excellent idea having your amazingly talented daughter reach out! 

yes I think so too. It would very likely be a fruitful dialogue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Let's be frank and real here, how many of us on the forums have high functioning autism, how many of us try stimming behaviors during the day, and how many of us have internal clocks?  As someone with Aspergers, having two sons with it, and having watched folks ask if I'm okay I say it's better to be frankly honest.  In answering questions and to relax and get to know folks a little more.  

Yeah.  I am pretty sure that I have some traits, though not to levels that would put me in any official category.  We had my son tested when he was young and that was the result.  Little of this, some of that, but all under the limits.

Has anyone watched  “Love on the Spectrum” on Netflix?  About young adults who are on the ASD spectrum trying to find relationships.  I really enjoyed it and am hoping for a third season.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

I was tested for it but came back I had social anxiety instead.

I know all about stiming and hunting.

Hmm would starting threads here be considered a way of stiming?  I’ve done a lot of them over the years to sort of relax.  I’ll admit some of them were dumb 😊

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

I was tested for it but came back I had social anxiety instead.

I know all about stiming and hunting.

Hmm would starting threads here be considered a way of stiming?  I’ve done a lot of them over the years to sort of relax.  I’ll admit some of them were dumb 😊

Me as well thinking of doing some FallOut 4 videos it's old and my videos might be dumb.  Think though it's a game my older brother would've loved.  Also, something I've never really gotten over 1975-2014 he wanted to see the drought end and had a widow maker heart attack.

daughter has a few comments: firstly she said phycologists dont use the term "high or low functioning" as a label they stay away from that, each person functions differently.

2ndly  "aspergers" is generally not used its just called autism...

Katrina talks to herself as her "stiming" mechanism and she totally has an internal clock. Has never been late for work a single time

she thinks she has a hard time forming thoughts at times but overall she is Very verbal at this time but she thinks that part of her development is stunted.

She told me  she is open to answering any other questions you have. Or any specific me. She is 35 btw and has come sooo far. she speaks a lot about her experience on the autistic spectrum in her show.

m

@Thriftygamer83

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 12/2/2021 at 8:24 AM, Thriftygamer83 said:

you’re not alone 

nobody really understands us.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 9:54 AM, Bob in Mich said:

CNN has another in their Weed series coming up on 12/19.  This one centers on autism and possible cannabis based treatment.  

https://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2021/12/02/cnn-special-report-weed-6-cannabis-and-autism/

Bump      fyi, this Sunday at 8pm Eastern time on CNN

On 12/2/2021 at 12:30 PM, BarleyNY said:

Has anyone watched  “Love on the Spectrum” on Netflix?  About young adults who are on the ASD spectrum trying to find relationships.  I really enjoyed it and am hoping for a third season.

I saw that this past week and was interested but I ultimately didn't pull the trigger.

My initial thought is it kind of enforces the label thing of people with that diagnosis and thus they are sort of "different" if you will.  Idk, I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I mean ideally it should just be whatever you are what you are 

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I saw that this past week and was interested but I ultimately didn't pull the trigger.

My initial thought is it kind of enforces the label thing of people with that diagnosis and thus they are sort of "different" if you will.  Idk, I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I mean ideally it should just be whatever you are what you are 

I get your concern.  There was just a little bit of that IMO, but it was much more about how people on the ASD spectrum have similarities with “neurotypical” people.  For instance, the show really highlighted one big misconception: that people on the ASD spectrum aren’t interested in close relationships.  It shows that could not be further from the truth.

It is interesting to me that one of the differences between people on the spectrum and neurotypical people seems to be that the former aren’t nearly as constrained by societal norms and customs as the latter are.  Since there is a lot more of the latter in the world they are the ones that have to adapt, but the way they see the world is probably better. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2021 at 8:24 AM, Thriftygamer83 said:

I’m unearthing your thread as I remember it.

I had to start seeing a therapist for anxiety issues again that have been creeping up in my life.  My therapist suggested an autism screening test for me.

I think if I get a yes diagnosis that would or could put a lot of stuff in perspective in my life 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 7:25 AM, Another Fan said:

I’m unearthing your thread as I remember it.

I had to start seeing a therapist for anxiety issues again that have been creeping up in my life.  My therapist suggested an autism screening test for me.

I think if I get a yes diagnosis that would or could put a lot of stuff in perspective in my life 

Let me know how it goes okay?  Sorry, for being late in posting or checking just been having some things come up.  Medical mostly diveraticulitus and kidney stones.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.