Mac Jones is this years Baker Mayfield. He came into the NFL at his ceiling?

Paul Costa

Mac Jones is getting comparisons to Tom Brady. I personally don’t see it. I also think he is playing close to his ceiling. I think Mac Jones is playing similar to Baker Mayfield as a rookie. I said the same thing about him. He played well but thought he reached his ceiling. Time has proven that true. I think Mac Jones play proves that Bilichick is a great coach. He’s done a great job this year. Hate to admit it but it’s true. Hopefully he’s throwing a phone around 10:45 Monday night. 😊

Edited by Paul Costa
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

I think you could see Brady’s greatness early in his career. I haven’t seen much of Jones but no matter how well he does, what are the chances he’s the next Tom Brady. How long can BB coach for? I think the more film seen by opponents will limit him. I think we’ve seen that to a certain extent with Allen and the deep cover 2

Baker Mayfield or Mac Jones who had a better rookie season. Obviously Mac Jones has not completed his rookie season yet. But many in the media have already crowned him a franchise QB. My point is he reminds me of Baker Mayfield in his rookie year. Playing to his ceiling 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paul Costa said:

Mac Jones is getting comparisons to Tom Brady. I personally don’t see it. I also think he is playing close to his ceiling. I think Mac Jones is playing similar to Baker Mayfield as a rookie. I said the same thing about him. He played well but thought he reached his ceiling. Time has proven that true. I think Mac Jones play proves that Bilichick is a great coach. He’s done a great job this year. Hate to admit it but it’s true. Hopefully he’s throwing a phone around 10:45 Monday night. 😊

Mac Jones is playing very well within his system. 

Baker Mayfield's rookie year is actually not a bad comparison.  They both came out of big-time college programs where they were surrounded with talent.

Jones has a higher completion % (70.3 vs 63.8%), but lower YPG (237.5 vs 266) and similar ypa (7.5 vs 7.7), which says to me that completion % may be taking a low-% shot or two less (32 vs 37 attempts per game agrees).  Likewise Mac has a lower TD% (4.2% vs 5.6%) and INT% (2.1% vs 2.9%) than Baker had, but a higher sack % (5.9% vs 4.9%).

Where things went off the rails a bit with Baker is that I think the success went to his head, along with essentially participating in firing his HC and picking his next HC.  It wasn't that he'd reached his ceiling, so much as that he thought he'd arrived there. As long as Belichick is at the helm in NE, that's not going to happen to Jones.

On the other hand it's completely true that as teams get tape on Jones and learn his tendencies, his life will get harder. 

Like Mac Jones, Brady started out as a game manager, making short accurate passes supported by a strong run game.  The Patriots pass 54% and run 46% of their non-punting downs.  But Brady evolved to become far more than that.  He became a master manipulator of defenses, an adept in the pocket, and a master of the game.  It's possible that Jones will become all that - but it really depends upon him. 

Brady was uniquely driven.  Is Jones?  Time will tell.  Was his early DUI a sign that he's a good-time-guy, or a youthful wake-up call?

Time will tell.

I said elsewhere that I LOL at the Boston press during McDermott's interview today.  Boston Globe guy basically asked McDermott how Jones compared to a young Brady and McDermott neatly ducked and let Boston Guy slide off his back to the floor.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Topic titles must reflect the content of the topic (and it must contain more than just a name). This helps to reduce the number of duplicate topics and makes the community much more user friendly.

Please edit the title so that it properly reflects the discussion that you started.

Thank you.

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

Belichek made Matt Castle look like a good QB.... Matt... Castle...

Belicheks system is very QB friendly. He knows how to run an offense that doesn't put all the pressure on the QB. Its very similar to when Brady took over. He wasn't asked to carry the team, just manage the game and protect the ball. That system groomed Brady to what he is. Will Jones mature into a great QB? Who knows? But time will tell

• Simon changed the title to [Incomplete Title]
4 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

Jones will always need a great system around him, as well as a good running game and defense to win.  He is not going to carry a team.  He has physical limitations that no matter how good he becomes will always be there.  Chad Pennington lite is what he reminds me of with a slightly stronger arm.  But after watching how he had to put his whole body into a throw that went about 30 yards, not much stronger.

• Eyeroll 1

Mac Jones was drafted at his ceiling. He isn't coachable. He already has good accuracy with a short passing game. He isn't physically mobile (uncoachable) and he has a weak arm (uncoachable). He also is inaccurate throwing down field (which is coachable, but not with a noodle arm). Teams will adjust and he will be a backup for most of his career. How many QBs have the pundits praised in their first year just to watch them fade to rust? Too many to count. 

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

Mac Jones was drafted at his ceiling. He isn't coachable. He already has good accuracy with a short passing game. He isn't physically mobile (uncoachable) and he has a weak arm (uncoachable). He also is inaccurate throwing down field (which is coachable, but not with a noodle arm). Teams will adjust and he will be a backup for most of his career. How many QBs have the pundits praised in their first year just to watch them fade to rust? Too many to count. 

That is not what being coachable means. What you are saying is he has physical limitations. That is true. But everything you hear about the kid suggests he is very coachable - he listens, he can take criticism, and is determined to get better. 

Mac does have a low ceiling. I agree with that. But the things he does well are a perfect fit for New England's offense. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.