What the Bills need to do to beat the Pats...IMO

wagne591

14 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

We should be flooding the short and intermediate routes with 8 in the box to stop Macs passing game and to stop the run. Dare him to beat us deep. 

^ this.  That said, I have a feeling Stevenson is going to have a big game for the Pats.  I hope I am wrong.

15 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

We should be flooding the short and intermediate routes with 8 in the box to stop Macs passing game and to stop the run. Dare him to beat us deep. 

Don't be surprised if this is the game where Mac Jones does in fact light it up downfield especially given the ill timed loss of White on this defense and Belichik being one step ahead and anticipating this type of strategy from Frazier and McD.

Patriots don't have near the talent the Bills do at WR but they have a few guys that can get that type of separation and both their TE's are capable of some big seam type of plays down the middle especially Henry who showed that with the Chargers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

15 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

This - if the kid beats you, then hats off to him.  But i don't think he can - so make him do it.

34 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Unfortunately no matter how well we play, this game will be in the hands of the refs. Brace yourself now for multiple terrible calls that go against us. You can set your watch to it.

An early entry for the Game Day thread.

Disagree with the OP. We need 12 and 21 personnel. Get diggs isolated so they have to either commit to stopping him or the run. I also expect Allen to be a big part of the running game. Fun things I found last night on pro football reference, we have the highest number of play action pass attempts and we are pretty efficient (> 10 YPA).  Josh under center with lots of Sweeney and Gilliam makes us our most versatile. 

defense I think has been mentioned but press coverage probably cover 1 robber to put an extra guy in the box for the run.  Also would expect a good bit of cover 3 to again put another player in the box. 

Edited by YattaOkasan

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Don't be surprised if this is the game where Mac Jones does in fact light it up downfield especially given the ill timed loss of White on this defense and Belichik being one step ahead and anticipating this type of strategy from Frazier and McD.

Patriots don't have near the talent the Bills do at WR but they have a few guys that can get that type of separation and both their TE's are capable of some big seam type of plays down the middle especially Henry who showed that with the Chargers.

I’m not afraid

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Mac Jones...  more of a dunker and dinker... not as strong-armed as Josh...   in a cold, windy stadium...  against a good pass D (even without Tre)...  against a front four that proficient at pressuring QBs...    It just doesn't seem to add up to a game where Mac 'lights it up downfield.'   

But who knows?  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

I’m not afraid

I'm with you, brother.  

I was afraid once when a drugged out kid tried to gut me with his knife... and again when enemy mortar rounds were being fired upon me in the desert and there was nothing much I could do about it... and again when I had to rappel down a rocky cliff - I don't like heights...   

But I won't be afraid Monday night when I sit in the comfort of my home, eating wings, watching the Bills - even as I acknowledge the possibility that they may lose.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A few things that I think doesn't get enough credit on the board this week: 

The Pats defense has been statistically phenomenal. On paper they have been dominant. They are the secret sauce to Mac Jones, who basically does a bit more than "enough". The Pats have one of the best starting field positions in the league, and their opponents have one of the worst. They don't allow many points and create a ton of turn overs. 

The Pats offense is remarkably efficient. Mac Jones sucks throwing deep, but they are good enough underneath that it has not been a deterrent to their success. The Pats are second in the league in drive time and % of drives ending in points. 50%. Buffalo was 2nd in the league last year with 44% for reference, we are top 10 at the moment at 40% now. 

The Pats are winning games by keeping you off the field and scoring almost every time they have the ball with a short field. I don't think our defensive game plan is my worry this week. Buffalo cannot afford to have any stalled out drives. They have to score points when and where they can get them and try and force NE and Co. to play catch up/keep up, which is not necessarily their wheelhouse. But that is a tough ask of any team against that NE defense. 

48 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Mac Jones...  more of a dunker and dinker... not as strong-armed as Josh...   in a cold, windy stadium...  against a good pass D (even without Tre)...  against a front four that proficient at pressuring QBs...    It just doesn't seem to add up to a game where Mac 'lights it up downfield.'   

But who knows?  

Not saying it's going to happen but I would suspect that regardless of the weather conditions Belichik and McDaniel will dial up some shots if anything to test Dane Jackson just like every other team is going to do going forward.

But my premise is that Belichik knows we are going to try and stack the line and sit on all the short screens and routes the Pats love running so he'll have a plan to do opposite of what's expected and realistically it's probably run the ball down this teams throat like the Colts did and the Pats did last year in the game in Buffalo that they almost won in the final minutes if not for the Newton fumble that Zimmer recovered.

• Agree 1

Umm, Score more points than the Patriots ? Kidding, but not really. To achieve victory, they must follow this script:

Don’t turn the ball over 

don’t commit Pf’s or pre snap penalties 
form tackling 

swarm to the ball

Thats about it. If they do this, the Bills will win the game. 

I just watched an NFL show on ESPN, and all the analysts agree that Bill Bellichick's defense is incomprehensible and dominant, and the Bills are screwed.  Then I remembered that the Bills have a pretty good defense too, and wondered if they even know that.  I'd play clips like that for our defense as an example that, despite their achievements, they're considered nothing compared to the Patriots defense.

This might be a game where the players run right through those schemes and take care of business.  

• Like (+1) 1

I don't like the idea of thinking you come out dinking and dunking.  That's the Pats* game plan.

One team has a QB that can fire 25 yard lasers that can travel through 15mph winds like a knife through butter, and the other team doesn't.  Lets make sure they are selling out to stop those lasers.  Then we can proceed to march down the field with Beas and Knox.

Step 1: Limit penalties and have no turnovers

Step 2: Bring the the linebackers and secondary closer to the LOS with a healthy dose of Breida to the outside

Step 3: Exploit the middle with Beasley/Knox on quick plays

Step 4: Wait — patiently — for the deep plays to open for Diggs

Step 5: Keep on doing great things in the secondary

Step 6: Remind Mac Jones he’s a rookie near or at his ceiling.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.