What the Bills need to do to beat the Pats...IMO

wagne591

On Offense:

We need to have the calm JA17 who does not push the ball down field and takes what the D gives him and let his playmakers do the work.  I think we should play a lot of 10 and 11 personnel sets and run the ball off those formations.  Two go long and medium and leave a couple short range every play early.  I think we should throw deep a couple times early even if the play isn't there and Josh throws it deep out of bounds intentionally I think that will scare the Pats into thinking we are scared to go deep. Then use the short passing game underneath crossing routs and sit in the zone reads to drive down the field.  I don't think we throw the ball enough to scare anyone from the other formations (i.e. 1 back and 2 TEs) 9 times out of 10 we are running the ball out of that formation.  I also think Knox and Beasley are a mismatch for anyone they can throw at them expect CB1 and maybe CB2 on the Pats and I think those two will have a field day.  

On Defense:

Its tough without Tre but I don't see the Bills D doing anything different.  I would like to see the D-line get their hands up more this game since Mac likes to throw short I think we can knock a couple balls down with the length we have on the line.  I also think the defenders need to exaggerate with they are getting held and unable to get their hands up because of it.  I think Ed Oliver needs to have a big game...the last month Ed has been on a tear but it doesn't show up on the stat sheet.  He is getting a lot of penetration up the middle making QB's scramble left or right and into the arms of Madison, Hughes, and others.  Even if it doesn't result in a sack the QB is flustered and it totally disrupts their timing.  And to be honest our Lines both of them need to man up and not play scared.  I don't understand what happened its not like we changed personnel and last year especially on D late in the season they played mean, we need that for the rest of the year.  Maybe losing Tre as crappy as this may sound, maybe the D will play as a unit with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove that Tre is 1/11 on Defense and not the whole D.  I believe in our boys, and this is the game that will put them back on the mat and in total control of the division.  

One last thing I said this in a thread last night...this game reminds me of the 49er's game on Monday night last year.  The game before the 9er's game Josh had a bad week against LAC and only threw for like 165 yards give or take (not his best) then he went on a tear to finish the season starting on Monday Night.  Hopefully history repeats itself.  

Message for JOSH....take what the D gives you and lets roll...yes everyone likes a big play here and there and you are sure capable of doing it...but winning is more fun at the end of the day.  Just win Baby!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, wagne591 said:

On Offense:

We need to have the calm JA17 who does not push the ball down field and takes what the D gives him and let his playmakers do the work.  I think we should play a lot of 10 and 11 personnel sets and run the ball off those formations.  Two go long and medium and leave a couple short range every play early.  I think we should throw deep a couple times early even if the play isn't there and Josh throws it deep out of bounds intentionally I think that will scare the Pats into thinking we are scared to go deep. Then use the short passing game underneath crossing routs and sit in the zone reads to drive down the field.  I don't think we throw the ball enough to scare anyone from the other formations (i.e. 1 back and 2 TEs) 9 times out of 10 we are running the ball out of that formation.  I also think Knox and Beasley are a mismatch for anyone they can throw at them expect CB1 and maybe CB2 on the Pats and I think those two will have a field day.  

On Defense:

Its tough without Tre but I don't see the Bills D doing anything different.  I would like to see the D-line get their hands up more this game since Mac likes to throw short I think we can knock a couple balls down with the length we have on the line.  I also think the defenders need to exaggerate with they are getting held and unable to get their hands up because of it.  I think Ed Oliver needs to have a big game...the last month Ed has been on a tear but it doesn't show up on the stat sheet.  He is getting a lot of penetration up the middle making QB's scramble left or right and into the arms of Madison, Hughes, and others.  Even if it doesn't result in a sack the QB is flustered and it totally disrupts their timing.  And to be honest our Lines both of them need to man up and not play scared.  I don't understand what happened its not like we changed personnel and last year especially on D late in the season they played mean, we need that for the rest of the year.  Maybe losing Tre as crappy as this may sound, maybe the D will play as a unit with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove that Tre is 1/11 on Defense and not the whole D.  I believe in our boys, and this is the game that will put them back on the mat and in total control of the division.  

One last thing I said this in a thread last night...this game reminds me of the 49er's game on Monday night last year.  The game before the 9er's game Josh had a bad week against LAC and only threw for like 165 yards give or take (not his best) then he went on a tear to finish the season starting on Monday Night.  Hopefully history repeats itself.  

Message for JOSH....take what the D gives you and lets roll...yes everyone likes a big play here and there and you are sure capable of doing it...but winning is more fun at the end of the day.  Just win Baby!!!

Josh message is spot on!

33 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

We should be flooding the short and intermediate routes with 8 in the box to stop Macs passing game and to stop the run. Dare him to beat us deep. 

This.  With up to 50mph gusts we stack the box and jam receivers and attack.  Keep Hyde or poyer deep or both and just go after him. 

I could be completely wrong here, but I don’t worry about Josh just taking what the defense gives him against a Belly defense. If you recall, this is the team where Josh had that really bad interception game earlier in his career and had an epiphany about trying to do too much. I don’t know whether it results in a win or not, but I think Josh knows (and McD, Daboll, and Dorsey will drill him on it) to take what’s there against this team. 

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

This.  With up to 50mph gusts we stack the box and jam receivers and attack.  Keep Hyde or poyer deep or both and just go after him. 

I agree.  Be aggressive on defense.  Jones is still a rookie.  Get in his face and force him to get rid of the ball early.  Blitz Taron Johnson off the slot.

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

46 minutes ago, klos63 said:

that's the forecast?  OMG

No, it's not the forecast.  I don't know where these guys are getting this stuff. 

Here's weather.com.  26 degrees is the overnight low, should be in the 30's at game time.

image.thumb.png.32c7a3db6fe947701cdad63ae47e79a8.png

Here's Weather Underground:

image.thumb.png.e54429637e7f79943dc320451b4a40d9.png

The point here is that there's likely to be some poor weather moving through, and at this point 5 days from kickoff the models are not gonna be accurate enough.  It could move faster, it could move slower

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah temp forecasts 5 days out can be fairly close but precip and especially wind very difficult to predict.  Unless there's a big system moving through the wind generally settles as the sun sets, a sustained wind over 15mph is unlikely at night.

It won't matter because we'll be warmed by the pure joy of beating these chumps.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.