So long to Jake Fromm State Farm!

YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Very questionable and shortsighted career move by Fromm. He had a good chance to be the long-term primary backup for a winning organization starting next year. Puzzling as I'm not sure how this helps him except for very short-term financial gain. Now, he goes to a very unstable situation, likely facing offseason upheaval.

I mean this might be true if he wasn't a sucky QB. 

13 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Very questionable and shortsighted career move by Fromm. He had a good chance to be the long-term primary backup for a winning organization starting next year. Puzzling as I'm not sure how this helps him except for very short-term financial gain. Now, he goes to a very unstable situation, likely facing offseason upheaval.

what if he wants to be a starter? He's on the PS making a few thousand a week and a teams offers him a contract to be the backup QB on active NFL roster. He's supposed to say No? That would be short-sighted

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

How do you figure?

He was on the PS

The Bills could activate him to the 53 man if they really wanted him.

He is now on the Giants 53 man roster

Good luck and all the best Jake.:) 

10 hours ago, without a drought said:

Good luck to Jake, nice to to see Bills fans taking unnecessary parting shots.

This makes as much sense as thinking Davis Webb is a better QB or an NFL caliber player for that matter. Newsflash there's a reason why the Giants didn't pluck him of the PS.

I'm happy for Fromm and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up starting games for the Giants at some point because he definitely has NFL talent and probably will have a long career as a backup worst case.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, without a drought said:

Good luck to Jake, nice to to see Bills fans taking unnecessary parting shots.

I totally agree... If some are not critiquing others -- they are not happy.   

But it would be nice to get compensatory picks for players you drafted that get picked up by other teams

18 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

If a player is claimed off a practice squad, does that player have the right to refuse the transaction?

5 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

If a player is claimed off a practice squad, does that player have the right to refuse the transaction?

Yes, practice squad players are considered free agents.  They can accept or reject.  Now not many players reject - the money on the regular roster, even at NFL "minimum", is hugely better as outlined above.  But it has happened!

The only time that is not true is when a practice squad player is elevated more than 2x to the regular roster for just a single game.  The first two times he automatically reverts to the PS.  The third (or greater) time, he will be subject to waivers and can be claimed by any team in reverse order of their record - just like any other player released from a 53 man roster.

13 hours ago, QCity said:

Exactly my point. These guys are competitors - they don't want to be old and gray telling their grandchildren "Well no, I never did make it onto an NFL field, but I made some good money holding a clipboard." It's a lot better to get your shot and fail, rather than never get your shot.

And, as others have said, starting experience somewhere, even though you don't win a long-term starting job, enhances your prospects as a backup.   

And, let's not forget Fitzpatrick's career.   When he came to Buffalo, fans dismissed him as a "career backup."  Fitzy showed that the past is not necessarily the future.  

18 hours ago, Augie said:

But…..who will handle all our insurance needs? 

A dome team (or at least a team with less challenging weather) might have been a better landing spot for him, but I’m sure he’s just happy to make an active roster. 

Even since the Aaron Rodgers immunization  scandal the door was open for him to claim his name sake. I guess he’s trying to gain some New York visibility to that end. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, practice squad players are considered free agents.  They can accept or reject.  Now not many players reject - the money on the regular roster, even at NFL "minimum", is hugely better as outlined above.  But it has happened!

The only time that is not true is when a practice squad player is elevated more than 2x to the regular roster for just a single game.  The first two times he automatically reverts to the PS.  The third (or greater) time, he will be subject to waivers and can be claimed by any team in reverse order of their record - just like any other player released from a 53 man roster.

Thank you for sharing that information.

10 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Thank you for sharing that information.

Welcome.  On the waivers part, I should have written "just like any other player released from the 53 man roster after the trade deadline"

Before the trade deadline of course veterans are not subject to waivers.

7 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Watching some Giants games Fromm might be QB#1 sooner than later.  Brutal

Supposedly Jones has a sore neck and is questionable

19 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

This makes as much sense as thinking Davis Webb is a better QB or an NFL caliber player for that matter. Newsflash there's a reason why the Giants didn't pluck him of the PS.

I'm happy for Fromm and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up starting games for the Giants at some point because he definitely has NFL talent and probably will have a long career as a backup worst case.

What do you base this statement on?   He was a fifth rounder.  Not exactly a draft position for someone who is a sure thing (Webb himself was a third rounder I believe).   The Bills also had  Fromm as the QB of last resort last year and didn't care to try to keep him when the Giants made their offer. Those facts plus his lackluster preseason play tell me a lot more about his talent ...

Edited by prissythecat
clarification

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.