Weather Forecast for Monday

Awwufelloff

OP here looks like my call from Tuesday was spot on, dam I’m good. I actually got accepted to penn state for meteorology before switching majors. 

...HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH MONDAY EVENING... * WHAT...Southwest winds 25 to 40 mph with gusts up to 60 mph possible. The strongest winds are expected from mid morning through late afternoon. * WHERE...Niagara, Orleans, Erie, and Genesee counties. * WHEN...From Monday morning through Monday evening. * IMPACTS...Damaging winds could blow down trees and power lines. Widespread power outages are possible. Travel could be difficult, especially for high profile vehicles.

Edited by Awwufelloff

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Weather should never drastically affect sports. 

Patriots can practice outside the majority of the year because their weather doesn't drastically affect practice.

Takes some strong ass wind to do that to the goal post. That game was affected a bit....

398f1d4327_Wind_12292008.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Takes some strong ass wind to do that to the goal post. That game was affected a bit....

398f1d4327_Wind_12292008.jpg

13-0. Lol

13 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

OP here looks like my call from Tuesday was spot on, dam I’m good. I actually got accepted to penn state for meteorology before switching majors. 

...HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH MONDAY EVENING... * WHAT...Southwest winds 25 to 40 mph with gusts up to 60 mph possible. The strongest winds are expected from mid morning through late afternoon. * WHERE...Niagara, Orleans, Erie, and Genesee counties. * WHEN...From Monday morning through Monday evening. * IMPACTS...Damaging winds could blow down trees and power lines. Widespread power outages are possible. Travel could be difficult, especially for high profile vehicles.

My hope is the winds die down by the game. It's possible. Depends how fast the system moves through.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

13-0. Lol

My hope is the winds die down by the game. It's possible. Depends how fast the system moves through.

Lol, yeah probably would have lost by 30+ points that day if wasn't for those strong winds that affected the game    😜

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

1 hour ago, Awwufelloff said:

God I hope this doesn't affect the broadcast. 

I remember that Chargers game years ago after Trent Edwards came back from his Adrian Wilson induced concussion and I missed much of the game because a stupid balloon flew into the power lines.

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

God I hope this doesn't affect the broadcast. 

I remember that Chargers game years ago after Trent Edwards came back from his Adrian Wilson induced concussion and I missed much of the game because a stupid balloon flew into the power lines.

It’ll be interesting to see how the league handles a situation like that. That game in Miami last year wasn’t broadcast for a good stretch as well due to a power outage in the stadium if memory serves. In those cases they just shuffled over to another game. This being on MNF won’t afford that. Tough situation for the league and ESPN if it really hits the fan and affects the broadcast.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I stand corrected on that point, thank you.  However, as you recommend "Google is my Friend", I point out to you that there is still a difference between a GLOBAL weather model and a LOCAL weather model.

https://windy.app/blog/what-is-a-weather-forecast-model-guide-on-forecast-models-all-around-the-world.html

And you stand corrected (or should) on the point that on Thursday, and even Friday, no model (certainly no global model)  is accurate in predicting the exact arrival time of a weather system passing through a specific location or the exact location of a weather event forecast to occur somewhere in >100 mile band. 

Nope, I'm not a meteorologist, but I have decades depending on the best weather models I could get my hands on to keep my ass and my family safe, and that was a lesson we learned early on and kept learning: you can't rely on a model for the timing and exact location of a weather event more than 24-36 hrs out (48 hrs is starting to be predictive).  "You can't fly the forecast, you have to fly the weather you find"

The current forecast seems rain/mix Monday, trailing off during the day (21% at game time) and 21 mph winds dropping off during the game.  What the model seems to be doing is saying the weather will arrive later, but move through faster.  Could there be a "wind event" with 55 mph gusts in the area, sure, but that's sometime between Sunday and Tuesday, depending upon when the front actually moves through and the specifics of the location.

image.thumb.png.b7ea30a8d0b267cb1d5a78995ac26888.png

I'm outta here, if you want to keep on keeping on with the 55 mpg or 60 mph winds and all and with insisting that the global Euro model can accurately predict thelocal weather in OP on Monday night, as of Thursday (or Friday), You do You

I wasn't pissed or trying to start an argument with you. Just pointing out a fact about the models. I was just surprised at how quick you were to tell me I was wrong, when clearly I wasn't. And I also know forecasts can change right up until that day.

I remember one day back in elementary school (I've lived in Rochester area my whole life), where they were calling for a blizzard and the schools all closed early, wegmans was getting wiped out, etc. Well, it got really dark and cloudy and nothing ever happened. Not one flake of snow. It was very strange.

It's all good Hap!!!

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

why can't we just got a nice decent weather game for the spotlight and watch allen sling it all over?

That is a question for the league. They could have given the Bills a primetime home game in Sept/Oct if they wanted. Hopefully they do that for next season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I seem to remember the wintry weather of Buffalo historically being seen as an ADVANTAGE -- or at least not a disadvantage -- for the Bills.

I remember great players from opposing teams in the days of yore talking about how intimidating it was to go play in Orchard Park in December or January.

Now, if you go on Bills Twitter (or talk to many members of this forum), winter weather is this horrible, awful, no-good thing that should hands down be prompting the Bills to build a dome stadium.

From the perspective of enjoying the game live as a spectator, I kind of get it -- I mean, watching football outdoors in the elements is nothing new, and people have been doing it, and loving it, for years, but okay...I get it. Having numb extremities is no fun. From the perspective of griping about how it affects the team's performance...I don't get it quite so much.

If the answer is "well, tough, hard nosed teams that are good at running the football have the advantage in cold weather!", then that sounds like a failure in team building rather than justification for a dome. Knowing where they play home games, you'd think the Bills would prioritize running the ball and stopping the run and being a tough, hard nosed football team. If the reasoning is "so that our star QB can thrive!", I ask "how the hell did Brady, Favre, Elway, Bradshaw, Unitas, Starr, and Graham have Hall of Fame careers playing their home games in outdoor, cold weather stadiums?! How come Peyton Manning -- who played most of his career in a dome -- had his best season ever in the elements of Mile High?"

Alas, another week of "THIS IS WHY WE SHOULD BUILD A DOME!!!" talk in the books.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Weather should never drastically affect sports. 

That's because they're all inside.  C'mon man.  Of course weather impacts the games football more then any other. 

No other sport plays in "weather" - baseball cancels when it rains!  What a bunch of softies! 

In football heavy rain absolutely limits the passing game. 

As was said before and the data tells us this, once winds get over 20-25 mph, QB play dips.  Passing games are not as efficient in wind and rain.  It's not even debatable.  

This isn't to say oh shoot we're done.  We beat Baltimore in that wind bowl in January.

Its just not ideal for this team to have to play in it.  What's Allen's record in "ideal" weather or a dome since 2019?  Conditions where winds weren't over 20 mph or a steady rain.  

I bet we've lost less then 3 times.  Now he's also at times been good in rain/wind.  The Houston game.  Washington game was windy.  And some not.  I recall the home game v Baltimore in 2019 was windy.  The Eagles game that season was windy.  

It's unconscionable to build a team in Buffalo not ready for December/January.  Where you have an oline and an RB that you can rely on when you have to have it.  I think for people like me my issue is more that then needing a dome. 

But I want a dome.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Allen should be practicing in the Stadium in all weather conditions as much as possible. 

Rain...throw on the field

Cross Wind....throw on the field

Tail Wind....throw on the field

Head wind...throw on the field

Snow...throw on the field 

The Bills need to keep a meter of some sort in the stadium so they can know what the conditions are every day. 

It's not a home field advantage unless it is

32 minutes ago, Logic said:

I seem to remember the wintry weather of Buffalo historically being seen as an ADVANTAGE -- or at least not a disadvantage -- for the Bills.

I remember great players from opposing teams in the days of yore talking about how intimidating it was to go play in Orchard Park in December or January.

Now, if you go on Bills Twitter (or talk to many members of this forum), winter weather is this horrible, awful, no-good thing that should hands down be prompting the Bills to build a dome stadium.

From the perspective of enjoying the game live as a spectator, I kind of get it -- I mean, watching football outdoors in the elements is nothing new, and people have been doing it, and loving it, for years, but okay...I get it. Having numb extremities is no fun. From the perspective of griping about how it affects the team's performance...I don't get it quite so much.

If the answer is "well, tough, hard nosed teams that are good at running the football have the advantage in cold weather!", then that sounds like a failure in team building rather than justification for a dome. Knowing where they play home games, you'd think the Bills would prioritize running the ball and stopping the run and being a tough, hard nosed football team. If the reasoning is "so that our star QB can thrive!", I ask "how the hell did Brady, Favre, Elway, Bradshaw, Unitas, Starr, and Graham have Hall of Fame careers playing their home games in outdoor, cold weather stadiums?! How come Peyton Manning -- who played most of his career in a dome -- had his best season ever in the elements of Mile High?"

Alas, another week of "THIS IS WHY WE SHOULD BUILD A DOME!!!" talk in the books.

If you mean doesn't rain or bitter cold combined with high winds usually just level the playing field for the lesser opponent?.........which the Bills too often have been in the 2000's........then yes it's been an advantage.

People reflect fondly on the 2017 snow game because the Bills won.........what they don't recall is that the weather made it possible for a terrible 3-10 Colts team to almost beat the playoff contending Bills at home.  

And tell any Bills fan that drove to Cleveland to watch the "in the hunt" Bills lose 8-0 in a blizzard about the weather not affecting team performance.

More often than not bad weather just cheats the fans out of a good football performance.    We've seen a whole lotta' bad football on bad weather days in Buffalo.    It's not a good thing for anyone involved.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you mean doesn't rain or bitter cold combined with high winds usually just level the playing field for the lesser opponent?.........which the Bills too often have been in the 2000's........then yes it's been an advantage.

People reflect fondly on the 2017 snow game because the Bills won.........what they don't recall is that the weather made it possible for a terrible 3-10 Colts team to almost beat the playoff contending Bills at home.  

And tell any Bills fan that drove to Cleveland to watch the "in the hunt" Bills lose 8-0 in a blizzard about the weather not affecting team performance.

More often than not bad weather just cheats the fans out of a good football performance.    We've seen a whole lotta' bad football on bad weather days in Buffalo.    It's not a good thing for anyone involved.

They keep talking about ridiculously high winds maybe being present for the game.

One place said gusts up to 60MPH.

If the wind is crazy, and it just takes over the game and turns it into a sideshow, I will be really disappointed.

I think everyone will.  We have the makings of an epic game here and who wants to see it ruined with crazy weather?

I want to see skilled football, or at least have a shot at seeing that!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Some of those games, are outright torture.

The Jan. '94 playoff game @ home, against the Raiders, comes to mind.

0ºF. @ kickoff, with  a -14ºF. wind chill.

Later in the calendar year of 1994 the Bills played the dome team Vikings on a lousy weather day after a big snow storm and the Vikes whipped the Bills and busted Kelly's knee........which effectively knocked the Bills out of the playoffs because Reich was brutal in relief the rest of the season.  

But, you know that team had such a HUGE home field advantage.......right?..........especially over a sissy dome team.:doh: (and everyone only remembers Reich as a great backup instead of the bum that he was that season).

To add insult to literal injury in that Vikings loss........there was nearly 4 inches of water and slush in the parking lots because they decided to just salt the lots instead of plow them. :lol:

24 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Some of those games, are outright torture.

The Jan. '94 playoff game @ home, against the Raiders, comes to mind.

0ºF. @ kickoff, with  a -14ºF. wind chill.

Yeah that was the day I found out that when people get hypothermia one of the signs is an inability to communicate.    We thought Ted was just not speaking to us because we had made fun of him for not dressing heavily enough.   Yay for bad weather! :beer:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.