Weather Forecast for Monday

Awwufelloff

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Comparing skiing to merely sitting/standing in cold weather is like comparing apples and oranges. You will keep far warmer engaging in physical activity than you will being relatively motionless. 

No it's not when you're merely sitting in a CHAIRLIFT a lot of the time.  Yet, skiing is more enjoyable in the rain than watching a game in the rain. Wasn't complaining about the cold.  Complaining about the sitting in the rain. 😉 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why does it matter who is running it?

We are talking about weather.....if weather forces the gameplan to be more run heavy it takes away some of the scramble opportunities.   Sure there are designed runs with Josh, personally I dont love those and those often are out of a passing formation/personnel.   We don't have to agree, at the end of the day they need to be able to win in any weather.

5 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Oh my!  Why do we have 8 pages of weather talk, when we could talk about religion or politics!!??!  Go Bills!!!

Because you can still score a ticket 🎟 to the biggest game of the year for only 61 bucks.  Using the inflation calculator:

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

That's $28.83 in 1990!  But add the fees and it becomes: $40.

Thanks weather! 😉 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I remember I couldn't turn my head to the right to see the scoreboard.  Sleet hurt my face

Some time in the early 1990s when we had the SB teams, New Orleans came to play in Orchard Park.

I went with my dad.  It was a freaking COLD and snowy day, I think in early December.  There was so much snow "dusting" down on the field every few plays, at every commercial timeout a machine came out and sort of snowplowed the yard markers so you could see what was going on.

I FROZE MY BUTT at that game, and was saved when we decided to go into a luxury box my dad had access to at halftime.  We stayed in there for the 2nd half and it saved my life.

I have sat through a LOT of horrific weather in that stadium in the name of supporting the Bills.

Some time a long time ago, I vowed "NEVER AGAIN!" and that's how it's worked out.

It helps living in FL these days; I don't have a lot of opportunity to freeze my ass off at home Bills games.

The season starts a month too late, and ends probably 2 months too late.

• Like (+1) 1

I look forward to saying "wow it must be crazy there!" as I'm watching in all my fluffy warm Bills gear on my couch while the rain and snow fall on my TV. 

NFL stadiums are just TV sets. When you realize that "no dome" makes more sense. This is a product for TV where most of the $$ comes from TV contracts. Fans are paying extras who add to the show. The players and coaches are the stars, and the refs are the heels. 

For the TV show that is the NFL Bills=weather (snow), even if the weather here isn't any more remarkable than most NE cities. A dome makes a game here the same as New Orleans, which takes away something unique that adds intrigue to the show. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Some time in the early 1990s when we had the SB teams, New Orleans came to play in Orchard Park.

I went with my dad.  It was a freaking COLD and snowy day, I think in early December.  There was so much snow "dusting" down on the field every few plays, at every commercial timeout a machine came out and sort of snowplowed the yard markers so you could see what was going on.

I FROZE MY BUTT at that game, and was saved when we decided to go into a luxury box my dad had access to at halftime.  We stayed in there for the 2nd half and it saved my life.

I have sat through a LOT of horrific weather in that stadium in the name of supporting the Bills.

Some time a long time ago, I vowed "NEVER AGAIN!" and that's how it's worked out.

It helps living in FL these days; I don't have a lot of opportunity to freeze my ass off at home Bills games.

The season starts a month too late, and ends probably 2 months too late.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198912100buf.htm

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

I look forward to saying "wow it must be crazy there!" as I'm watching in all my fluffy warm Bills gear on my couch while the rain and snow fall on my TV. 

NFL stadiums are just TV sets. When you realize that "no dome" makes more sense. This is a product for TV where most of the $$ comes from TV contracts. Fans are paying extras who add to the show. The players and coaches are the stars, and the refs are the heels. 

For the TV show that is the NFL Bills=weather (snow), even if the weather here isn't any more remarkable than most NE cities. A dome makes a game here the same as New Orleans. 

It's kind of a microcosm of the USA as a whole these days; the whole thing is controlled by a handful of mega wealthy individuals and corporations.  The average fan is just going along for the ride, thinking he has something to do with it all.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Yep, that has to be it; I remember the "losing" part too, which really added to the fun.

I said "early '90s"---make that 1989.

Would have been 18 years old and probably weighed 125 pounds then.  

Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoMAn said:

I can't remember a season with so many foul weather games that were played in high winds, torrential rain, cold or a combination of those.  All that's left is a blizzard. 

The thing is, the entire country thinks Buffalo is one long lasting blizzard from November to May, and WNYers know it just isn't that bad.

But now we are going to get a HUGE football game with I would think a lot of national interest on Monday Night Football, and it sounds like the weather is going to be horrible!  

And it will only re-enforce our national identity as the place where the weather is horrible, every day of every winter of every year.

God forbid it would be a gorgeous, unusually nice day with a high of 58 or something.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's kind of a microcosm of the USA as a whole these days; the whole thing is controlled by a handful of mega wealthy individuals and corporations.  The average fan is just going along for the ride, thinking he has something to do with it all.

The fans are a vital part of the show for sure! They add drama and atmosphere that is key to the product. 

The Bills are a unique team in a unique place known for one thing nationwide: snow (even if it's overblown). "Playing a game in Buffalo" means something because it COULD snow or be windy or just be WNY-ey where you could get rain, snow, wind, hail, and sun in the same game. It's an interesting dynamic. It brings eyes to the screen. And then there's Bills Mafia, crazed tailgaters nuts for their team. These things set the character (The Bills) apart from other teams. It's part of why people in other countries care about an American sport.

In short, It's interesting to watch. It's actually a little crazy. But amazing TV!

Think about it: "the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field" is one of those made for NFL Films elements. Put Green Bay in a dome and it's a game played in an airplane hangar on crappy looking carpet that looks like it came from the clearance section of Lowes even though it cost billions of dollars. 

11 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

For the TV show that is the NFL Bills=weather (snow), even if the weather here isn't any more remarkable than most NE cities. A dome makes a game here the same as New Orleans, which takes away something unique that adds intrigue to the show. 

Very valid points.

I'm a STH who currently has tickets for sale for a few different reasons, but none of them are weather related.  In fact if I don't end up selling, I'll be excited to go, in part BECAUSE OF the potential weather.  I guess I'm weird that way. 

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The thing is, the entire country thinks Buffalo is one long lasting blizzard from November to May, and WNYers know it just isn't that bad.

But now we are going to get a HUGE football game with I would think a lot of national interest on Monday Night Football, and it sounds like the weather is going to be horrible!  

And it will only re-enforce our national identity as the place where the weather is horrible, every day of every winter of every year.

God forbid it would be a gorgeous, unusually nice day with a high of 58 or something.

On the flip side the place will be packed and going crazy in a bad weather game. That will also re-enforce to the rest of the country that Bills fans are the best.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, BillnutinHouston said:

Very valid points.

I'm a STH who currently has tickets for sale for a few different reasons, but none of them are weather related.  In fact if I don't end up selling, I'll be excited to go, in part BECAUSE OF the potential weather.  I guess I'm weird that way. 

We went to a game years ago when the team was awful and it was wet snow and rain and ice all game. I found it to be fun, except for the walk through the parking lot after. That was a little scary, and the Bills won the game. 

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The fans are a vital part of the show for sure! They add drama and atmosphere that is key to the product. 

The Bills are a unique team in a unique place known for one thing nationwide: snow (even if it's overblown). "Playing a game in Buffalo" means something because it COULD snow or be windy or just be WNY-ey where you could get rain, snow, wind, hail, and sun in the same game. It's an interesting dynamic. It brings eyes to the screen. And then there's Bills Mafia, crazed tailgaters nuts for their team. These things set the character (The Bills) apart from other teams. It's part of why people in other countries care about an American sport.

In short, It's interesting to watch. It's actually a little crazy. But amazing TV!

Think about it: "the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field" is one of those made for NFL Films elements. Put Green Bay in a dome and it's a game played in an airplane hangar on crappy looking carpet that looks like it came from the clearance section of Lowes even though it cost billions of dollars. 

Your comments here are why I have frequently argued at this forum for an open aired stadium, or no new stadium at all in WNY.

We will NEVER keep up with SOFI in LA or Cowboys Stadium or anything close to that stuff.

So then don't try.  Go our own path and try to be unique.

Pretty soon, there aren't going to be many "real football stadiums" left, where you go, sit, and actually watch a football game because that is all there is to do there.  And open air is critical to that experience IMO.

As time goes on, a place like Rich Stadium is going to be that much more of a relic from the past, and it will only get better with age, not worse.  It's a fine line between "old and run down" and "historic and vintage" if you know what I mean.

Of course, I don't go to many games there these days.

LOL.

I finally had the chance to see a ball game at Wrigley in Chicago a couple years ago; that is the coolest stadium and surrounding area of anything I have ever seen, anywhere.  Any city, any sport, any country.  And I'm a huge Red Sox fan who has been to Fenway!  

It is amazingly old and "crappy" from one perspective; but the entire thing is absolutely incredible, as is the surrounding area, which has been transformed into an extension of the ball park.  Tons of rooftop terraces beyond the outfield bleachers have seating bleachers on them, across the street, so that the entire neighborhood literally is watching the game in addition to the fans in the stadium.

Everything surrounding the entire ball park is Cubs-oriented.  It's just a totally cool atmosphere and experience, and the critical dimension of the whole thing is that the ball park was never destroyed to make way for a new one.

Sometimes old is good.  In fact, it often is.

6 minutes ago, Greg S said:

On the flip side the place will be packed and going crazy in a bad weather game. That will also re-enforce to the rest of the country that Bills fans are the best.

Maybe so, but we already know we have great fans. As do many other cities as well.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we will be fine by game time.

The snow and showers are going to be earlier in the day.

111E8ADB-7A5D-422B-808C-A1D12349E9AF.jpeg

Sunset at 4:41pm.  That is the Buffalo winter-time bleakness I unfortunately remember all too well.

That stuff will KILL YOU.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I feel like special mention should be given to that Giants game in 2012 or so where the wind blew so hard they needed to tie ropes to the field goal posts and pull them straight before any attempts to kick.  That was a day.  On one hand I hate the bad weather but on the other hand I remember the bad weather games better than any other games I have been at.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.