Let's put it another way - Are the Bills a better team than the Pats?

Billsfan1972

I haven't read through all of the responses, but I think Belichick makes it a wash.

They're good enough where I'd call the teams even w/ the coaching advantage.

And that's no criticism of McD. I think he's one of the best of that next tier of coaches.  But Belichick's teams are more disciplined, and they rarely beat themselves. I can't say that about the Bills.

1 minute ago, Success said:

I haven't read through all of the responses, but I think Belichick makes it a wash.

They're good enough where I'd call the teams even w/ the coaching advantage.

And that's no criticism of McD. I think he's one of the best of that next tier of coaches.  But Belichick's teams are more disciplined, and they rarely beat themselves. I can't say that about the Bills.

Everybody was quick to pile on Belichik last year and claim he was only succesful because of Brady, but the reality of the situation is that even in a 'transition' type of year the Pats were 7-9 with terrible QB play, tons of guys hurt/covid opt out and that speaks volumes about how good of a coaching staff the Patriots truly have.

Also I would argue about McD being in that next tier of coaches beyond Belichik/Reid/etc. I wanted to believe that after last season but it's hard to look past the glaring issues this team has week after week even during a win in terms of penalties, turnovers, game plans, lack of adjustment, etc. Belichink is a wartime coach that is going to exploit these things in a major way which is why I have a hard time believe this game is even going to be close let alone the Bills having any real shot of winning.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

Everybody was quick to pile on Belichik last year and claim he was only succesful because of Brady, but the reality of the situation is that even in a 'transition' type of year the Pats were 7-9 with terrible QB play, tons of guys hurt/covid opt out and that speaks volumes about how good of a coaching staff the Patriots truly have.

Also I would argue about McD being in that next tier of coaches beyond Belichik/Reid/etc. I wanted to believe that after last season but it's hard to look past the glaring issues this team has week after week even during a win in terms of penalties, turnovers, game plans, lack of adjustment, etc. Belichink is a wartime coach that is going to exploit these things in a major way which is why I have a hard time believe this game is even going to be close let alone the Bills having any real shot of winning.

BB deserves some credit. But take Judon off that team and I bet they are still at the 7-9 type level. Still pissed the Bills did not make a run at him. Could easily have been paid for with Addison and Butlers money...

7 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

As long as we keep racking up the penalties, we lose!!

On the season we statistically have something like an average of 1.5 to 2 more a game than they do and more yards.  That will probably show up somehow.  

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Here I'll help you.  Show me one thread this year where what I posted was "wrong" or did not have merit.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/profile/24993-billsfan1972/content/?type=forums_topic&change_section=1

No thanks. I think my head would explode if I had to review all of your threads at one time. I will admit that they are generally entertaining though, in a neurotic town crier kind of way...

• Haha (+1) 1

We have better talent but offensive coaching philosophy we are grossly outmatched. 

Our offensive line went to shambles and it's taken us 3 games to start to adjust to help josh out. 

Why are we still not playing "small ball" with beasly and davis underneath? Seems like quick passes underneath would help the oline protect josh and keep the chains moving. Why did it take so long to get Breida involved he is the only back we have with NFL speed to bounce it outside and pick up a few yards turning the corner.  Hoping we get this all ironed out and we get a full arsenal of adjustments by playoff time.

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Both teams are capable at the player level, even w/o Tre White.          This game will be a match of the coach's ability to out smart the other team.  going against cheaten Bill is a tough assignment.  Daboll worked for him for 10 years, they know each other.  Going to be interesting to see if student can handle his teacher.  And, the Bills D has to handle the new young gun the Pats have at QB.   Not many bad throws unless they mount some pressure.  Maybe blitz the new guy some to see if he can handle it, who knows.  This isn't Mahones........but Jones can chuck it accurately for sure if he has time.

Definitely need to pressure Mack Jones.  He is not elusive in the slightest.  Blitz hard from the outside like we did against Tua.  And do not let him escape up the middle.  Even though the Pats beat the Falcons 26-0, when the Falcons blitzed, Jones was a deer in headlights. 

This is going to be a great game.  We have not had many home games in prime time in a long time.  Bills need to come out w some swagger.  Did not have that against the Colts.  Stuff the run and make Jones beat us.  Play physical.  Offense has been missing the juice we had last year.  They played better in the second half against the Saints.  But the O line was lousy especially Dawkins.  Real good teams don't have O lines that are this bad.  Need to get Breida a lot of touches.  He brings the speed and energy to the offense this year.  And opens things up for the rest of our weapons. 

There are no great teams in the NFL this year.  Its a week to week league with over two thirds of the teams still in playoff contention.  We need a big win Monday nite against the Pats to start our push to the playoffs.  No excuses.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes unequivocally I say they are.  They are at home Monday night for a game they need to win (not crucial, but a loss would be crushing).  

I'm tired reading that anything can happen, any given Monday, things aren't linear, bad bounces, calls, decisions.....  

If the Bills do lose, what does that say? 

Is this like a mid-life crisis thing because you are 50 now?

54 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

McD is not there yet. He still needs to work on quite a few flaws in his approach to coaching.

Edited by Toyo321

I think the biggest handicap this team has right now is their coaching and the overall lack of it when it matters most,  unfortunately it happens on a consistent basis with the Bills.  Daboll is either the biggest detriment to this team or its MCD for not getting the best out his players week to week, or starting the best players that are available to dress.  We have had terrible coaching in 4 lousy games this year and these loses exposed the lack of real-time game planning against the opponent on both the O and D side of the ball.  I sure as hell did not see a well thought out game plans in any of these 4 loses.  Even some of our wins had really bad coaching in those games too.

I do not understand why Daboll has not been held more accountable for this teams often abysmal offensive play calling and exploiting the other teams weaknesses.  That is his job and its MCD's job to make sure his team is ready to go every week with the right players on the field.

We have all seen some of poor play calling and everyone can just hits their heads on what the hell Daboll is watching up in the booth :doh:.  Because of this guys inability to adapt real-time to the flow of game when its needed the most,  or when this team gets behind this year, he is a huge liability as OC right now.

The only reason we don't have more than 4 loses this season,  the majority of our competition that we have played has been below us talent wise, or due to the other teams injuries to their starters.  To be honest I don't believe we are better than NE at this point.  But come Monday if the we out coach NE and Bill B, and Josh plays error free, making good game time decisions we win.  But the key is to get a sustained offense going early and maintain it for the entire game.  Something we have not done well at all this year.  We can't afford to take a half off in this game, and expect to win it in the last 2 quarters.  

We can't constantly go 3rd and 10 in this game and expect to win.  We have to get into short yardage 3rd down attempts.  Beasly and Breida are going to be keys in this game.  If we don't utilize these guys this week, we are in for a long Monday night.  NE will not make many mistakes on D, if any at all.

If we do all these things right on Monday night,  then my opinion will change that we are the better team.

But it could go in the exact opposite direction too.   Bad coaching, and Josh not playing smart and him playing hero ball.  This year when he does this we have lost all those games.

That is the challenge this week, out coach Bill Belichick.  Josh needs plays his best game of the season and even better than the game he had against KC, anything else will be bad TV for the Bills on Monday night.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.