Bills have the highest pressure/hurry rate in the NFL??

Big Turk

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

According to Pro Football Reference advanced defensive stats, the Bills get pressure on 30.2% of opponents pass plays, which is best in the NFL. They also hurry the QB 15.6% of the pass plays which is also best in the NFL.

Bills are 8th in QB Knockdowns at 10.6% of opponent pass plays.

Pretty surprising...not getting sacks but are very effective at getting pressure.  Probably the reason why we have allowed the fewest air yards on completions in the NFL at only 1042.

image.thumb.png.d69bfb05abde327a0cbe46e190a50836.png

Would rather be in the Top 10 in Sacks and TFL' s. 

Pressure is great but like mentioned above, if it doesn't result in a negative outcome it's kinda moot.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

It would be more value to see what the result of the play as on those pressures. Just getting close means little. Sure, it helps but if it doesn't result in a negative play it's a moot point.

It's kind of like me saying "I flirted with the most ladies at the bar this week". If I still went home alone it doesn't really matter.

Or if you went home with the drunk unattractive mother of 3 after last call. 

Not that I know anything about that, but I have friends.😂

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Regardless what happens with the coaching staff after this season, I think you have to move on from Eric Washington as the DL coach and not stay loyal over the Carolina connection because sacks numbers overall have dropped the past 2 years since he's been here and it makes zero sense given the amount of money and draft picks tied to the position.

I don’t see any indication that Washington is being blamed for the lack of sacks.  There’s really not that much of a drop off from last season.  Also the pressures are up, as are turnovers and INT’s.  

Also I think McDermott sees Washington as a potential DC replacement for Frazier if he takes a HC job

18 hours ago, billybob71 said:

Seems kinda of like and empty stat to me, to really affect the QB, guys like Brady and Mahomes,  a sack or two early in the game seems necessary

I agree with this. Just like what was said about Carr earlier this season or Darnold the last couple of years . Hit him a couple of times and he gets rattled. Getting a few early hits or sacks can really get in the mind of a QB. GHOSTS. 😱

12 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Steelers game Ben was just lobbing the ball up there into tight coverage and his receivers made every ridiculous play possible…that loss still feels pretty flukey too me unlike the others

Agree it was. They had like three offensive plays all day. A lobbed ball that Claypool made a great play on, a perfect throw and catch to Deonte Johnson for the TD and the end around to Claypool where they got away with a huge hold. 

11 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t see any indication that Washington is being blamed for the lack of sacks.  There’s really not that much of a drop off from last season.  Also the pressures are up, as are turnovers and INT’s.  

Also I think McDermott sees Washington as a potential DC replacement for Frazier if he takes a HC job

I hope he doesn't. Washington sucked as DC in Carolina. 

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This is part of it but we do also lack that high level "finisher". It has been a Jerry Hughes thing all of his career that he gets oodles of pressure per sack and to an extent I think we see it a bit with Ed Oliver as well. He is around the quarterback a lot, you would want to see him come up with a couple more sacks for all that effort. But to the overall point I say this weekly in the Game Day threads when after 3 series without sacks people are shouting "where is the pass rush?" It is there. It is disrupting the pocket often. We could do with it just getting home a tad more. The encouraging number is 17 pressures from Greg Rousseau. He is still raw and learning to counter some blocking techniques but while his sacks have dried up from pre-season and early in the year he has been credited with at least 1 pressure in every game except Houston. 

a good finisher would make our pass D simply insane (it's pretty great already).

more physically consistent play from our DTs and LBs (Star, zimmer, and edmunds being out against Indy made us worthless against the run) would really complete us into a super D (if that's possible in the modern NFL).

i always bay hatch about our D having a schematic flaw whereby small shortcomings at specific positions on specific plays sort of folds the whole thing like a house of cards, but it's pretty clear they are overall a top unit (the money we spend on them they should be) and we are small upgrades at a couple of positions from being as dominant as we can be in today's game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.