Bills have the highest pressure/hurry rate in the NFL??

Big Turk

According to Pro Football Reference advanced defensive stats, the Bills get pressure on 30.2% of opponents pass plays, which is best in the NFL. They also hurry the QB 15.6% of the pass plays which is also best in the NFL.

Bills are 8th in QB Knockdowns at 10.6% of opponent pass plays.

Pretty surprising...not getting sacks but are very effective at getting pressure.  Probably the reason why we have allowed the fewest air yards on completions in the NFL at only 1042.

image.thumb.png.d69bfb05abde327a0cbe46e190a50836.png

• Like (+1) 3

It would be more value to see what the result of the play as on those pressures. Just getting close means little. Sure, it helps but if it doesn't result in a negative play it's a moot point.

It's kind of like me saying "I flirted with the most ladies at the bar this week". If I still went home alone it doesn't really matter.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

It would be more value to see what the result of the play as on those pressures. Just getting close means little. Sure, it helps but if it doesn't result in a negative play it's a moot point.

It's kind of like me saying "I flirted with the most ladies at the bar this week". If I still went home alone it doesn't really matter.

Considering we have far and away the best pass D in the NFL, including fewest air yards allowed, lowest completion percentage allowed, lowest Yards per attempt, lowest QB Rating, highest expected points contributed by our pass D, and fewest YAC Yards allowed, I would imagine it's pretty good.

• Agree 1

This is good info. I have admittedly been hard on the DL/Beane based on salary range. I still think a lot of our DE investment is underperforming and could be served better by getting out of the rotation sum. 

I did some googling of snap count and most top tier DE are in the 70-85% range. 

I swear it like Jerry Hughes knows the area=spot-radius he has to get to to qualify for a pressure and sprints-fights to get there than gets tied-up, runs out of gas, or cant finish...seriously the opponents contribute to this, we have played against more backup QBs and inferior lines than most teams so there is some skewing...point being the upcoming NE and TB games will be against good lines and qbs that will likely release in 2.5 secs, esp NE on the road at our place on MNF the crowd noise will be extra-punped, lets see how well the defense performs over the next 3 weeks which is key to our playoff drive and positioning...lets go Buffalo

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

I swear it like Jerry Hughes knows the area=spot-radius he has to get to to qualify for a pressure and sprints-fights to get there than gets tied-up, runs out of gas, or cant finish...seriously the opponents contribute to this, we have played against more backup QBs and inferior lines than most teams so there is some skewing...point being the upcoming NE and TB games will be against good lines and qbs that will likely release in 2.5 secs, esp NE on the road at our place on MNF the crowd noise will be extra-punped, lets see how well the defense performs over the next 3 weeks which is key to our playoff drive and positioning...lets go Buffalo

You mean like Davis Mills who looked like a high school QB against us, but then went out the next week and put up over 300 yards and 3 TDs against the Patriots?  I find it amazing how it's always something to detract from what they have done as if no other teams in the NFL face these other teams under the same circumstances.  

I mean NE played the Titans without their top 2 WR's and Derrick Henry, leaving them with literally no offensive weapons and giving them the ability to stack the box to stop the run against 2 street free agent caliber running backs and they ran for almost 300 yards. 

Edited by Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

But 24th in sacks.....  WOuld like to see that higher.

Thats one of the points of the OP. Sacks are great to show off but need to be correlated to metrics that matter ( @Big Turk has posted). 

With White now out, perhaps the D philosophy will change where Frazier may feel more obligated to manufacture sacks. We shall see in 6 days. 

23 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

This. Pressure CAN be the most over rated stat in the book.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

This. Pressure CAN be the most over rated stat in the book.

Considering we have far and away the best pass D in the NFL, including fewest air yards allowed, lowest completion percentage allowed, lowest Yards per attempt, lowest QB Rating, highest expected points contributed by our pass D, and fewest YAC Yards allowed, I would imagine it's pretty good.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This is a function of our scheme. McDermott doesn't want his DEs playing cowboy. They set the edge and play contain and compress the pocket. On the back end they are inviting the opposing QB to funnel the ball into short passing windows where the back 7 can rally and gang tackle. So it makes sense that our pressure rate would be high without gaudy sack numbers.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You mean like Davis Mills who looked like a high school QB against us, but then went out the next week and put up over 300 yards and 3 TDs against the Patriots?  I find it amazing how it's always something to detract from what they have done as if no other teams in the NFL face these other teams under the same circumstances.  

I mean NE played the Titans without their top 2 WR's and Derrick Henry, leaving them with literally no offensive weapons and giving them the ability to stack the box to stop the run against 2 street free agent caliber running backs and they ran for almost 300 yards. 

I find it amazing how you warped the topic of conversation from qb pressures to a one-game run defense stat, Tenn ran for 250 yards and they have an above average line...which we could not stop....

5 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

I find it amazing how you warped the topic of conversation from qb pressures to a one-game run defense stat, Tenn ran for 250 yards and they have an above average line...which we could not stop....

No we allowed Henry one big run of 78 yards and did a pretty decent job otherwise...

They didn't have Henry against the Pats...nor anyone to throw the ball to.

40 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Cmon. You don’t think that has anything to do with the QBs they have faced?  

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Bills also have a ton of forced turnovers. There is usually a correlation between pressures and turnovers.

As of my last check, we led the league with 15 INT’s. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love more sacks, but I’d rather have the ball than forcing a 7 yard loss. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is a function of our scheme. McDermott doesn't want his DEs playing cowboy. They set the edge and play contain and compress the pocket. On the back end they are inviting the opposing QB to funnel the ball into short passing windows where the back 7 can rally and gang tackle. So it makes sense that our pressure rate would be high without gaudy sack numbers.

This is part of it but we do also lack that high level "finisher". It has been a Jerry Hughes thing all of his career that he gets oodles of pressure per sack and to an extent I think we see it a bit with Ed Oliver as well. He is around the quarterback a lot, you would want to see him come up with a couple more sacks for all that effort. But to the overall point I say this weekly in the Game Day threads when after 3 series without sacks people are shouting "where is the pass rush?" It is there. It is disrupting the pocket often. We could do with it just getting home a tad more. The encouraging number is 17 pressures from Greg Rousseau. He is still raw and learning to counter some blocking techniques but while his sacks have dried up from pre-season and early in the year he has been credited with at least 1 pressure in every game except Houston. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.