New York Mets finalizing deal with Max Scherzer.... 3 years 130 million

Greg S

16 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Per ESPN and New York Post. That's a lot of money for a 37 year old.

Yep.  He'll be 38 in July, too.

HOWEVER ... I'm good with it.  Cohen has bottomless pockets and there's no cap, so what the hell, right??

Scherzer and a healthy deGrom in the same rotation sounds pretty nice.  And even at his age, he's an upgrade over Syndergaard.

#LFGM

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Yep.  He'll be 38 in July, too.

HOWEVER ... I'm good with it.  Cohen has bottomless pockets and there's no cap, so what the hell, right??

Scherzer and a healthy deGrom in the same rotation sounds pretty nice.  And even at his age, he's an upgrade over Syndergaard.

#LFGM

Sounds like an awful “Yankee-ish” move to make.  Don’t ya think, Gugs?

1 minute ago, The Poojer said:

I'd take a 37 yo Scherzer over pretty much any pitcher in the league.  he's an absolute beast. 

The beauty/brilliance of the deal is that it's only three years.  I think it's very likely that he'll be among the league's best for at least two of them.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I'd take a 37 yo Scherzer over pretty much any pitcher in the league.  he's an absolute beast. 

If Scherzer and DeGrom are healthy that's a formidable 1-2 punch reminiscent of Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling. If they aren't they'll have a lot to talk about on the DL.

Lost in the sauce is the Mets also signed a legit CFer so the outfield defense gets better behind them.

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

If Scherzer and DeGrom are healthy that's a formidable 1-2 punch reminiscent of Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling. If they aren't they'll have a lot to talk about on the DL.

Lost in the sauce is the Mets also signed a legit CFer so the outfield defense gets better behind them.

The Marte signing was fantastic.  And don't forget Eduardo Escobar, who is probably now the best 3B on the roster.  Looks like Javy Baez is headed to Motor City.  That puts McNeil back at 2B, which I like.  I'd prefer to keep JD Davis around to play off the bench.  I'd be very happy if the Mets can get a proven, consistent big bat to hit behind Alonso.

Thank God the Conforto experiment is finally over.  Thank GOD.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

The Marte signing was fantastic.  And don't forget Eduardo Escobar, who is probably now the best 3B on the roster.  Looks like Javy Baez is headed to Motor City.  That puts McNeil back at 2B, which I like.  I'd prefer to keep JD Davis around to play off the bench.  I'd be very happy if the Mets can get a proven, consistent big bat to hit behind Alonso.

Thank God the Conforto experiment is finally over.  Thank GOD.

Agree on conforto, I could not stand watching him anymore.  Not sure how I feel about Mad Max signing.  Lot of coin to give a guy that age(or any age) but.... if him and degrom stay healthy there the best 1-2 punch in league imo.  They had to do something after losing out on Gauzman.  My son who is a huge Mets fan just texted me that the Mets are trying to sign Carlos Rodan, that would be a great addition especially now looking like strohman is gone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.