Fournette wasted opportunity.

newcam2012

On 11/28/2021 at 4:46 PM, newcam2012 said:

The Bills had a chance to pick up Fournette. Easy to play armchair QB but I remember wanting the Bills to sign him. Instead the Bills are left with Moss, Motor, and Breida. None of these guys compare to Fournette. The Bills as many other teams whiffed on him. 

I blame Shaq Lawson!! 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

They didn't make the playoffs and beat the Billa because of Bortels. He sucked pretty much the whole year and they won despite him. He couldn't pass for dog poop and hia legs were his best asset. The team won because of there defense and pounding the rock with Fournette. 

Absolutely! Agree 100%. 

Cool. Now tell the story of what happened the following week when they went to Pittsburgh. Paint the whole picture, remember?

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They guy was going to get cut last year by the Bucs until Ronald Jones was put on the covid list.  

He's a top 5 pick in the NFL, about to be let go by his 2nd team in 2 years....that's a bust.  He resigned for a  1 year deal with a little over $3 million.

So your stats don't lie but other stats brought up by other posters....they're lies?

Stats don't tell the whole picture no matter what side you are leaning towards. There are so many other factors in play as others mentioned. 

1 hour ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

"wasted opportunity" because YOU wanted the Bills to go after him ?

Wasted opportunity isn't the best of words. I think I was too strong on that comment. However, in real time I did want the Bills to go after him. As pointed out several factors may not have made it work. At the time, I was disappointed the Bills made no effort or seemingly so to sign him. 

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Cool. Now tell the story of what happened the following week when they went to Pittsburgh. Paint the whole picture, remember?

Pitt was the superior team. No one expected the Jags to win. 

11 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Stats don't tell the whole picture no matter what side you are leaning towards. There are so many other factors in play as others mentioned. 

Wasted opportunity isn't the best of words. I think I was too strong on that comment. However, in real time I did want the Bills to go after him. As pointed out several factors may not have made it work. At the time, I was disappointed the Bills made no effort or seemingly so to sign him. 

Pitt was the superior team. No one expected the Jags to win. 

Here's the bottom line.  He's had a sub 4.0 ypc in his career.  He was on a team loaded with offensive talent and the best QB of all time....he was about to get cut.  Teams aren't focusing on stopping the run when they play Brady, Gronk, Evans, Brown and Godwin.

That would have been the 2nd time being cut in 2 seasons.  Even Tampa thought he wasn't good enough and luckily covid hit the lockerroom.

He signs a 1 year a little over $3 million dollar contract.  You know who gets that type of money?  Washed up RB's like Frank Gore and LeSean McCoy...that's about what they signed for.  Christian McCaffrey gets cut after this year, do you think he signs that type of contract?  No, McCaffrey even with his injuries would still be more valuable than Fournette....significantly.

You don't know if the Bills went after him or not, they are buttoned up.  Even if they didn't, there shouldn't be any criticism for a RB whose production was below average.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Everyone wants to avoid how Singletary can't score touchdowns. The guy simple sucks at getting into the end zone. The stats don't lie. Fournette got 4 tds yesterday which equates to Singletary's career numbers. I guess it's no biggie to have your featured back score tds. 

Before yesterday Fournette had 3 TDs on the season - Singletary has two.

Fournette gets the ball in the Redzone - The Bills would give it to Moss.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:02 AM, dneveu said:

Dobbins isn't a 2000 yard back (i guess if you go by college, but Singletary had almost 2000 in college).  He had 800 in 2020, and blew out his knee this year.  He also only has 18 career catches.

If you're thinking of taylor, he was selected prior to Epenesa.  I like dobbins, but ravens have made running backs look good for years. 

Was going by dobbins production the year he was drafted from Ohio state. Pretty sure he was close to 2 k rushing his senior year and over that with receiving.  He Was extremely productive as a Buckeye , power , speed , good receiver.  Not talking about his injury in the nfl, which he will recover from.  No comparison with his production and moss or singletary in college.  Ravens grabbed him within seconds when bills took epenesa.    Dobbins was just coming on, getting used more.  when his injury occurred. Pretty sure he was already being used more around the goal line and had more tds than motor who was taken e year before.  On the ravens he is in a crowded backfield situation as Lamar is a rb as well.  But coming out of  college , dobbins was listed as top or second back from that class and he was amazing with the buckeyes.  

He would have been a perfect addtiion here , better rb, better receiver than motor and epenesa has logged about the same playing time with no injury happening.   Then we took moss with our third round pick.   Just saying , when he gets healthy , watch, he will be much more productive in the nfl than motor, moss, or epenesa.    We needed a power rb with good hands and speed and we passed him up for epenesa whom at this point is a marginal edge rusher.  His rookie season was a total failure.  Let’s compare them after next year as dobbins is fully recovered from injuury.   Dobbins was not being made a healthy scratch routinely before his  injury like moss and epenesa have experienced.

Beane went by his board , took epenesa, next pick ravens took dobbins.  Epenesa is not a talented nfl player like dobbins will be. Singletsry and moss were taken in the 3 rd rounds for.reasons.   Not same level,of production in college careers and Beane has not valued the rb position ( or Daboll, and it’s been an issue making us more one dimensional, just look what brieda did with more speed and dobbins has very close to that same speed but Also has power )     My main issue is taking epenesa with dobbins sitting there and epenesa will never be used as much because of the line rotation. 

• Disagree 1

Teams could have traded up to get Allen.  Wasted opportunity.

Teams could have traded for Diggs and didn’t.  Wasted opportunity.

Every team in the league had multiple shots at drafting Brady and didn’t.  Wasted opportunity.  

I could keep this going for probably a month straight but do you get the point?

• Agree 1

On 11/28/2021 at 3:48 PM, No Place To Hyde said:

Does the TB offensive line come with him?

Sorry.  Tool only. 

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be honest, no great running back with a choice is going to choose to play for the Buffalo Bills until/unless we prove that

1) we can run block for him competently

2) we have a consistent commitment to a run game

Forgot #3. Fixed! 😉 

3) we build a dome downtown 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
remove text added to quote box

Running the ball is more predicated on the integrity of your OL and coaching schemes. Say what you wilt about Wyatt Teller but he has become an elite guard in Cleveland and Quinton Spain has done well for himself in Cincinnati. Both of these guys are superior to Ike Boettger, Feliciano and Ford. Why were they let go? Why are they having compelling success elsewhere?

I also vehemently disagree with the fact that we went into the season with what we had at TE and FB. Knox is the only good one in the bunch. Ertz should have been traded for or Hollister should have been retained at the very least. Keeping 7 WRs was a mistake, it vastly hurt our running game. We now find ourselves with the inability to run in goal line and short yardage situations. Twin TE packages, big formations and goal line formations have suffered as a result, which obviously has put an enormous amount of pressure on Josh Allen, more than there needs to be anyways.

As far as RB goes, I am neither for nor against one in the 1st or 2nd round, but I am ultimately aware that one should not be taken unless your OL is resolved and the idea of extending one past the length of their rookie contract makes me nauseous. Taking a RB that high should be the final piece, the missing piece or the cherry on top the sundae. Put a good RB behind a bad OL and he’s going to break down very quick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.